Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you select your model 3 based on 70% battery life?

Did you select your model 3 based on 70% battery life?

• Yes

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • No

Votes: 87 79.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Murphin Ridge Inn has a Tesla wall Charger heading into Lucaville. Maybe calling ahead to see if they are ok with using it if you really need too.
Ok, so you lowered the bar from high speed chargers to regular destination chargers? That is some severe back peddling going on! I don't plan on staying there so I cannot use it. For guests only and it's out of the way. Let's face it, for me the SR at 220 mile range is limited to local driving only like a 2011 Nissan Leaf at 72 mile range. :)

Instead of destination charging I'll just plug into someone's electric oven outlet and charge at 32 amps. That's why I have a 50ft, yes a 50ft 14-50 extension cord in my car so I have a 75 ft. range. May as well visit with people instead of staying at an inn I don't need to be at. Having to plug my car in is extremely lame in my opinion. This is the exception though to my purchase. My primary is Cincinnati to Columbus which is great. From Cincinnati to Lucsville/Portsmouth and back is just fine.. it's only when we venture from there. A 350 mile batter would be much better for that.

Our LR RWD Model 3 gets the EPA rated range at 65 mph as long it's 45F or more outside. But we use the Aero wheels and don't let the tire pressure get too low which helps a lot.

You can also draft behind other cars to decrease power consumption at the cost of additional rock chips.

65 mph is not realistic where I live. You can certainly drive that slow, but you'd be passed all day long and will likely have several people cut you off along the way in anger. Highway to me is 75-95 mph.

When I purchased my car in 2018 I made sure I would be happy with 70% of the stated range since that is the warranty threshold. In this case I assumed my 310 mile rated AWD will possibly some day only charge to 217 miles range. I am wondering if anyone else did this.

No way I would buy a SR or SR+ due to longer trips in the winter that I take. But those were not options then. As a second car I would consider a SR for local town driving but wife wants something bigger. The SR would have to go under 155 miles range for warranty replacement.
When I purchased my car in 2018, there was only one battery available. There was only one motor option available. There was only one interior color option available. So I picked the paint color and wheels that I liked and bought it!

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
When I purchased my car in 2018, there was only one battery available. There was only one motor option available. There was only one interior color option available. So I picked the paint color and wheels that I liked and bought it!
Back when I got my AWD if I recall correctly every model 3 variant was rated at 310 miles even the performance. But even then I made sure 200 miles would serve me 99% of the time before I purchased.

my aim was for PERF 1st,
then max range available,
as I’m not sure anyone had
hard and fast crystal balls?

as for trading in when degradation
= X%, I bought this car to NOT trade
in for very long time, to change the
previous detroit mentality of disposable
automobiles, as 50% range would likely
work for 98% my daily usage!

I don't have a Model 3 yet, I need to sell my Boxster first. But, don't laugh, I've been driving a Leaf for exactly 9 years tomorrow. And at the time I bought it, the EV world was different, but I calculated if I could still do my usual driving on a 70% battery after 10 years and NO charging away from home, since it was really slow and not readily available. Nissan said they sized the battery based on their data that showed 80% of the driving public drove 37 miles/day. I happen to be extremely close to that so I am still fine. No use paying for and dragging around a battery you don't need. I have always been surprised over the years by how many people talk about the range of such and such EV, but never consider that the range deteriorates over time. The range when new is meaningless. We need to know what it will be during the last year you plan to own the car and then determine the car with the appropriate range to fit your needs.

don't laugh, I've been driving a Leaf for exactly 9 years tomorrow.

Nothing to Laugh about, I drove my 2011 Nissan Leaf for 6 years and it served me well and I got a replacement battery when the capacity bars got down. Waited for the Model 3 since 2016 and finally got one last year.

The model 3 or if you need more room, the model Y. Sweet rides, I won’t go back to an ICE as long as we have EV’s

Send me a PM if you like to check out my ride and learn all about it before you get yours, we can meet up.

Fred

70% wouldn't work for my daily commute at the time I bought the car. I bought the one I did as it is was able to handle my commute and I could afford it. Thankfully my commute got a lot shorter, however with my current commute I never would have bought a Tesla.

I wanted Tesla, but I also prefer anonymity much of the time. A Tesla Camry model 3 would nail it. My decision to go with the 3 was shaped by other EV mfgs warping their offerings to cover their lack of investment in battery tech. Leaf was out because their battery cooling/management is weak, even on the latest versions. Range was a factor. Hyundai/Kia failed on range, and then when they offered reasonable technology, but then only in lux trims ($45+K) that were pathetic compared to Tesla. Or, screwed with customers by advertising $138 leases for cars they would never deliver. Dealers were the final straw, even when the Mustang was released; decided I couldn't support that corrupted model any more than filling the coffers of big oil. I bought our P- and doubt I could be happier, unless maybe they offered a Camry camo mode. I'm fine with the early adopter hit. The car does all I need, even if I don't need to be the rock star it seems to imply.

sadly, my car is on its way out in late Summer this year. Not due to anything wrong with it. I love it. I will be sad to list it for sale. But....me, wife, 6 month old, a 30lb Beagle and a 60lb Coonhound are a little much on road trips.

I'll be moving up to an X. but my Stealth 3 will always have a special place in my heart.

and I can still charge to a displayed 287 miles of range. I'm sure that now that the weather is getting warmer, I'll "regain" a few miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.