Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Difference in acceleration between Model 3 LR w/boost and Model 3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you happen to know if acceleration boost on a LR AWD is comparable to the LRP?
0-60 no
30-75 closer
50-100 even closer

P will still beat it out but mid to high range is quite similar. The LR boost is a sweet compromise between range and power. I have a 22’ LR Boost myself and she’s quite a fun machine. 20” V1 Perf rims, oem spoiler, 20% tint, yoke steering, Cfibre trim.

FC4C7D4E-5BF6-4643-8D45-EA86647C3983.jpeg
BB0587ED-5F01-4CCC-9AEB-13B236E3E78B.jpeg

Honestly, while I love my M3P, it is almost too fast at low speeds except for showing off to friends. My 4-year-old shrieked and cackled during every pull for the first day but now mostly whines when I get on it. My wife has largely banned me from hard pulls without mentally preparing her, and I am in the dog house if I do a quick 20-60 after a meal—“I could feel my stomach wrapping around my spine.”

All that is to say, I would absolutely buy the M3P again, but if you aren’t a complete gearhead and speed junkie you will probably be just fine with *only* a ~3.6 0-60 :p .

Honestly, while I love my M3P, it is almost too fast at low speeds except for showing off to friends. My 4-year-old shrieked and cackled during every pull for the first day but now mostly whines when I get on it. My wife has largely banned me from hard pulls without mentally preparing her, and I am in the dog house if I do a quick 20-60 after a meal—“I could feel my stomach wrapping around my spine.”

All that is to say, I would absolutely buy the M3P again, but if you aren’t a complete gearhead and speed junkie you will probably be just fine with *only* a ~3.6 0-60 :p .
Okay I knew he was my son. He requested a good half-dozen pulls during a quick 10-mile trip :p .

Half second difference from 0-60, which is all in the 0-30 range. Punch both from 30 and the difference is negligible.
I mean, the P is still making 15% more power at 60mph. That is about as much power drop between 95% and about 50% SOC, which I can absolutely feel. Power indeed tapers at higher speeds, but I wouldn’t call it “negligible.”

6FB5F110-8289-49B1-8AEC-93982005BE30.jpeg

Of note, I think Tesla knew this given they didn’t drop the axle ratio to stretch the power higher: at least for the US, 80mph is about the max legal speed anywhere. I find most of my acceleration is in the 10-70mph range, which is definitely where the biggest M3P power advantage lies. I say that having once complained about how close the LR was to the P on the highway, whereas now that I actually own the vehicle I can better appreciate what they were going for.

I used to run with Supras back in the day doing long highway pulls, and have seen the legal consequences of those, so High speeds make me nervous these days lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: likkuid

3.56 thank you very much 🤣

The difference is not as drastic as people think, but the P is definitely the better choice if you like the wheels and value the 0.4 second improvement to 60. Tesla is super misleading about 0-60 to make the gap seem bigger since they advertise the P 0-60 with 1ft rollout ("magazine" time) and every other trim without 1ft rollout. If comparing apples to apples, a M3LR does 0-60 in ~3.9 and M3LR+ does 0-60 in ~3.5.

I mean, the P is still making 15% more power at 60mph. That is about as much power drop between 95% and about 50% SOC, which I can absolutely feel. Power indeed tapers at higher speeds, but I wouldn’t call it “negligible.”

View attachment 804569

Of note, I think Tesla knew this given they didn’t drop the axle ratio to stretch the power higher: at least for the US, 80mph is about the max legal speed anywhere. I find most of my acceleration is in the 10-70mph range, which is definitely where the biggest M3P power advantage lies. I say that having once complained about how close the LR was to the P on the highway, whereas now that I actually own the vehicle I can better appreciate what they were going for.

I used to run with Supras back in the day doing long highway pulls, and have seen the legal consequences of those, so High speeds make me nervous these days lol.
If you run against a P ( with a boost car) from 30 and it’s even or the boost car gets the slightest jump, the P doesn’t pull on it meaningfully, so to me it’s negligible. The dyno numbers show the drop starts at around 40 and then the gap continues to close.

I’d take the P for track mode, but at a $10k delta, one has to decide whether track mode and the extra .5 second zero to sixty is worth it. The wheels, brakes and suspension certainly aren’t.

question being, does a P battery hold a higher charge rate at the supercharger for longer than the LR ?
in driving a 2020 lr+boost and even from 0% at a 250Kw station, i may never actually blip a split second of full 1000Mi/hr charge rate
all things aligned precondition temps others at the station ect ect ect

I am one of the people who can really Feel the loss in power when my car drops below 90% SOC
it just doesn't snap as hard.

Ok, probably this is the right place to ask: Last year I rented a Model 3 Performance simply because I was curious to test the car.

Needless to say, I fell in love with the car. I love speed, but I'm moving to Japan and won't have much opportunity to drive faster because of the strict regulations (unlike Italy, where I live now).

Long story short, I ordered a Model 3 Long Range and hope I won't be disappointed because of the performance difference.
Apparently it's not possible to buy the Speed Boost in Japan.

What do you think? Is the difference that noticeable?

0-60 no
30-75 closer
50-100 even closer

P will still beat it out but mid to high range is quite similar. The LR boost is a sweet compromise between range and power. I have a 22’ LR Boost myself and she’s quite a fun machine. 20” V1 Perf rims, oem spoiler, 20% tint, yoke steering, Cfibre trim.

View attachment 804103View attachment 804104
I love your car. I'm planning to do something similar with my LR as soon as I get it delivered.
Paint the sport wheels black and install the spoiler.

Thanks for sharing. I wanted to see how it looks in real life.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 19.57.59.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 19.57.59.png
    685.4 KB · Views: 441
I love your car. I'm planning to do something similar with my LR as soon as I get it delivered.
Paint the sport wheels black and install the spoiler.

Thanks for sharing. I wanted to see how it looks in real life.
Hey no worries. The wheel colour is actually carbon oem from tesla. It’s not black. Was discontinued in favour of silver for some odd reason.

The look is pure sport :)

• Love
Reactions: nishinari
If you run against a P ( with a boost car) from 30 and it’s even or the boost car gets the slightest jump, the P doesn’t pull on it meaningfully, so to me it’s negligible. The dyno numbers show the drop starts at around 40 and then the gap continues to close.

I’d take the P for track mode, but at a $10k delta, one has to decide whether track mode and the extra .5 second zero to sixty is worth it. The wheels, brakes and suspension certainly aren’t.
Hrmm.

In any case, it is a 5k delta between a P (63k) and an LR+Boost and Aero wheels ($58k), no? More like 4k if you install tires a bit more appropriate for a 450+ HP [sport] sedan.

Reactions: Not That M3
Ok, probably this is the right place to ask: Last year I rented a Model 3 Performance simply because I was curious to test the car.

Needless to say, I fell in love with the car. I love speed, but I'm moving to Japan and won't have much opportunity to drive faster because of the strict regulations (unlike Italy, where I live now).

Long story short, I ordered a Model 3 Long Range and hope I won't be disappointed because of the performance difference.
Apparently it's not possible to buy the Speed Boost in Japan.

What do you think? Is the difference that noticeable?
check the drag race, the P pulls out at the start, but is actually eventually passed by the LR(no boost)

Actual data from actual owners.

View attachment 805964
sadly i never took screenshots of my scan my tesla app before and after i purchased the boost software
only thought about it after the fact
0-60 3.67 is a danm-perfect launch
even at 100% hot off a supercharge, i think ive been IN the 3.75 area but not exactly 3.70 or less
honestly, if i were given the option to shuck out an additional $2k to unlock my car down to 2.99, i probably would.
love that feeling of my brainium smacking the back of my cranium

Last edited: