Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dilemma: 90D vs P90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After reading every post in this thread I offer the following summary: $$ vs. YOLO

This is the perfect quote. Well said :)

I owned a 70D for a year before upgrading to the P90DL. I would be happy with either...but I'm happier with the P90DL. I also test drove the 90D a few times. Honestly it wasn't enough difference over the 70D for me to consider. I know, it's a full second faster to 60 but it's still a similar torque curve to the 70D as far as power ramp in. The P version, however, hits *much* harder when in Insane or Ludicrous mode.

It was either stay with the less expensive 70D or go all in with the P90DL.

Have you test driven the new 60D (or 70D/75D since they're the same performance)?

When and how often would you REALLY used the extra performance?? Why do you want the extra performance? Guys get into the stats and numbers and feel they need to best or highest level (me included back in the day), but after getting that extra performance for many thousands of dollars, I realized I rarely, if ever, got to use that performance on the street..

The price of a supercar is out of my range - I just couldn't justify that money on that purchase. But I would like to own one ... apart from the [lack of] noise then a Tesla comes cheap IMHO. Back-in-the-day, as a kid, I considered anything under 10-seconds as fast and the vehicle of envy was a Lamborghini Miura (0-60 in ... 7.0 seconds), a new Lamborghini or Ferrari is going to start at $250K, and won't take more than 2-people with no luggage - so for a family-person it would have to be a second car.

So for anyone wanting a supercar-pretender then Tesla is the only one in the budget-price :D range.

The price of a supercar is out of my range - I just couldn't justify that money on that purchase. But I would like to own one ... apart from the [lack of] noise then a Tesla comes cheap IMHO. Back-in-the-day, as a kid, I considered anything under 10-seconds as fast and the vehicle of envy was a Lamborghini Miura (0-60 in ... 7.0 seconds), a new Lamborghini or Ferrari is going to start at $250K, and won't take more than 2-people with no luggage - so for a family-person it would have to be a second car.

So for anyone wanting a supercar-pretender then Tesla is the only one in the budget-price :D range.

NIssan GTR and Corvett ZO6... but this board has a fascination with 0-60 times as the defining number for sports cars, which is totally NOT what they're about.

Just as it's a total coincidence that most drivers spend the overwhelming majority of their driving time in this range of speeds.

I'm not referring to higher speeds, but the fact that sports cars are as much about handling as they are raw power. Every time someboby posts a video of a P90DL destroying a Ferrari or whatever in a drag race, they're missing half the point. It's fun, of course, but good drag racing performance does not a sports car make.

Reactions: msnow
Hey guys,

Looking for feedback from those who own a 90D and P90D. My situation is this... I'm doing the overnight test drive and Tesla gave me a P90D which totally screwed me up because I had already decided upon the 90D. With my vehicles, I always purchase them loaded so I don't have any regrets. Mind you, I may not use all of the features but there would be that time where if I didn't have them and I wanted to use, I would regret.

I'm really struggling with sticking with the 90D or going with the P90D but in my mind, I'm having a very difficult time accepting the cost difference vs what I will be getting. I hear that some owners who purchased the 90D in that if they had to do it all over again, they would go with the P90D instead. I also hear that the 90D feels heavier compared to the P90D, maybe not as nimble or because of more torque? No, I will not be ordering with Ludicrous mode enabled.

Besides the increase in acceleration, what is the P90D giving me over the 90D that warrants such a hefty increase in price?

The P90D has a bigger rear motor. I think they used to have pictures on the site of what the motors looked like in the the configure page.

I was stuck in a similar situation, choosing between the 85D and the P85D -- I decided to go with the P. (When I buy cars, I typically go with the biggest engine available for that vehicle, because I tend to keep my vehicles forever, and it's not something you can upgrade easily later). The 85D was quick, but the P85D was just mind-blowing. When I upgraded to Ludicrous a year later, the difference in acceleration was noticeable.

I've had loaners of the P85 and the S85 since. The P85 handled similar enough to the P85D, but after driving my P85D for a year, I definitely could tell the difference in handling and acceleration between the S85 and the P85D. The S85 felt a lot slower / heavier. (Someday hopefully, I'll get a 85D a loaner to see the difference).

Knowing what I know now, if I had to buy a new Tesla today I'd probably just get a new 60D. The total range is a little less than my P85D, but I've never used the range down to the limit of the 60D.

Reactions: theslimshadyist
He said he was going with a fully optioned 90D and save the $20k which I think is a smart decision.

I don't believe he actually said this ;-)

I know from experience that ones true feelings often come out only moments before its time to actually commit to buying something.

I'm paraphrasing here. But if you read back, the OP said something to the effect that:
I can't justify the P, I'd use the range of the 90D way more than the acceleration of the P90D

Then he confirmed that he was ordering all *other* options (with a couple exceptions)

Then, he was like, wow the P90D is like an amusement park ride! Will the 90D do that for me too??? (I wasn't sure how to read that - was it like, wow, that was definitely cool and now I'm realizing I might just want that?)

It's not over till the OP clicks order. And I just have a funny feeling there might be a plot twist left in this story ;-)

Reactions: theslimshadyist
I don't believe he actually said this ;-)

I know from experience that ones true feelings often come out only moments before its time to actually commit to buying something.

I'm paraphrasing here. But if you read back, the OP said something to the effect that:
I can't justify the P, I'd use the range of the 90D way more than the acceleration of the P90D

Then he confirmed that he was ordering all *other* options (with a couple exceptions)

Then, he was like, wow the P90D is like an amusement park ride! Will the 90D do that for me too??? (I wasn't sure how to read that - was it like, wow, that was definitely cool and now I'm realizing I might just want that?)

It's not over till the OP clicks order. And I just have a funny feeling there might be a plot twist left in this story ;-)
Fair enough and it's his decision. Hope he makes the best choice for him and his family.

Ok. I'll throw in my .02 cents....

First car was a P85 and I loved it until I drove the P85+. The + suspension was so connected to the road I really regretted buying just the P85. Fast forward to late 2015 I placed an order for a P90DL. Being so close to the mothership, I was able to get hints about refresh, 100D, X seats, I still haven't hit the build button. I'm in that situation where I may never get the next S, I'm always waiting for the next best...may need to go to therapy for this..:)

I've driven a lot of performance cars, nothing close to supercar, but as soon as you launch/drive a P, it becomes addictive. Conversely, I could be very happy with a new 60D. I'm now all over the map on which car I should order (I need to send two boys to college in a couple of years..). 90% of my driving can be fulfilled with the 60...

The one analogy (not that it is anywhere close to relevant) I like to use is from my audio background. I always loved to have extra headroom. Extra power always makes listening (maybe driving) a better experience. It's amazing what the L does for a car from 50-100mph. How many times will I use it, maybe only showing off with friends/clients. Honestly, launching an L car is taxing/track centric. What I really love is that next power band.

Sorry for the tangent, my gut is telling me to go with the 90D. You can get a staggered PSS setup and add on spoiler and red calipers if you want the look. I believe suspension is now the same on a 60 or 90DL.

I think the bottom line is that whatever Telsa you end up with will be so much better than what you were driving...:)

Reactions: SSD420
No doubt it's a total coincidence that 0-60 is where Tesla really shines.

Agreed, I don't covet those cars either, but they do offer supercar performance for a great price.

Just as it's a total coincidence that most drivers spend the overwhelming majority of their driving time in this range of speeds.

Buy how often do you do a 0.60 run at full power? And how many of those runs would require it be done in 2.8 seconds vs. 3.5 seconds, or 4.5 seconds? Don't get me wrong, I live myself some G forces too, but guys get into this numbers thing where they want every last tenth, or to shave that last 10 lbs off a car or 1.5 lbs off a bicycle at an exponential increase in cost.

Agreed, I don't covet those cars either, but they do offer supercar performance for a great price.

Buy how often do you do a 0.60 run at full power? And how many of those runs would require it be done in 2.8 seconds vs. 3.5 seconds, or 4.5 seconds? Don't get me wrong, I live myself some G forces too, but guys get into this numbers thing where they want every last tenth, or to shave that last 10 lbs off a car or 1.5 lbs off a bicycle at an exponential increase in cost.
Yep. Everyone's chasing the 10.9 but I don't judge them, it's their thing.