Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dilemma: 90D vs P90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been happy with 90D so far. The only time I use all of its acceleration is to demo it to friends, and they are quite impressed.Would they be even more impressed with P acceleration? Hard to say, since this is subjective, but I don't think so.

To me, the P (especially with Ludicrous) meets the definition of one of the Toyota Production System's forms of waste: overspecification. (Sorry, I'm a car manufacture guy, I had to throw that in).

To me, the P (especially with Ludicrous) meets the definition of one of the Toyota Production System's forms of waste: overspecification.
C'mon, if your going to be all "reasonable" and "objective" about it, any Tesla and certainly the 90D is overkill in any number of areas.
But you and your reasonable objectivity would also not be welcome here ;)
[nice specs on the car, btw :)]

one thought is to get either car with the 19inch stock wheels, and buy the 21's separately... the cost is the almost the same, yet you get two sets of wheels. technically a $1500 difference, but you get two sets of wheels and tires.... or just buy aftermarket wheels and tires..

Several owners have reported using 20inch wheels as a happy medium.

Interesting thing you said you like to get cars loaded, so not doing ludicrous mode, just seems "insane" to me...

one thought is to get either car with the 19inch stock wheels, and buy the 21's separately... the cost is the almost the same, yet you get two sets of wheels. technically a $1500 difference, but you get two sets of wheels and tires.... or just buy aftermarket wheels and tires..

Several owners have reported using 20inch wheels as a happy medium.

Interesting thing you said you like to get cars loaded, so not doing ludicrous mode, just seems "insane" to me...

If I go with the 90D then L is not an option. ;)

Having been spoiled by Tesla giving me P85D loaners, I would recommend the P90D or P90DL. If you can swing the price that is. If you get the 90D, you risk disappointment in having spent so much money and not gotten the full performance experience. Of course it's not about being practical, an S60 is plenty fast. It's about the maximum Tesla grin.

Having been spoiled by Tesla giving me P85D loaners, I would recommend the P90D or P90DL. If you can swing the price that is. If you get the 90D, you risk disappointment in having spent so much money and not gotten the full performance experience. Of course it's not about being practical, an S60 is plenty fast. It's about the maximum Tesla grin.
That's ridiculous. The 90D is screaming fast and people rarely use its max performance. If the goal is performance plus max range it's the best choice as many others upthread have pointed out. I've never felt the "P envy" syndrome nor have I ever regretted not get the P90D.

That's ridiculous. The 90D is screaming fast and people rarely use its max performance. If the goal is performance plus max range it's the best choice as many others upthread have pointed out. I've never felt the "P envy" syndrome nor have I ever regretted not get the P90D.

Yes, even the lowly original S60 is plenty fast. There's nothing wrong with the 90D. It's a great car! For those who enjoy vision blurring acceleration, the P90D is a treat. Would love to own one if I could swing it. To each his own.

Yes, even the lowly original S60 is plenty fast. There's nothing wrong with the 90D. It's a great car! For those who enjoy vision blurring acceleration, the P90D is a treat. Would love to own one if I could swing it. To each his own.
Most of my friends that have the P90DL have said that after a dozen or so launches it gets old. That's a pretty hefty price to pay for a novelty. Virtually every time I have launched my 90D every passenger but my wife has asked me to never do it again with them in the car because it made them feel sick. My wife loves it though!:)

Reactions: mshuang
Most of my friends that have the P90DL have said that after a dozen or so launches it gets old. That's a pretty hefty price to pay for a novelty. Virtually every time I have launched my 90D every passenger but my wife has asked me to never do it again with them in the car because it made them feel sick. My wife loves it though!:)

When it comes to the benefit of Ludicrous, the "launch" is arguably not even the half of it.

The advantage of Ludicrous is in the significant improvement in highway performance and passing capabilitiy.

From 30mph on up it's tough to beat Ludicrous.

When it comes to the benefit of Ludicrous, the "launch" is arguably not even the half of it.

The advantage of Ludicrous is in the significant improvement in highway performance and passing capabilitiy.

From 30mph on up it's tough to beat Ludicrous.
You mean like burning through tires every ~10,000 miles? ;) Seriously though to me the incremental improvement is not worth the money if you consider the lost range and how rarely you would need to use the added passing speed. This guys looking to spend 20 grand or more for that relative benefit. To each his own but if I were going to spend that much and having the newest, biggest fastest thing was the most important thing I'd hang out for the P100D.

You mean like burning through tires every ~10,000 miles? ;) Seriously though to me the incremental improvement is not worth the money if you consider the lost range and how rarely you would need to use the added passing speed. This guys looking to spend 20 grand or more for that relative benefit. To each his own but if I were going to spend that much and having the newest, biggest fastest thing was the most important thing I'd hang out for the P100D.

I see it exactly the opposite. I use the passing speed every day but how often would I take the car past 270 miles and use the extra 24 the 90D provides? I know from 10k miles of road trips I can slow down 5mph and get that extra range when needed.

The beauty of it is that Tesla offers both choices so all of us are happy! :)

Interesting.

I'm thinking that the P100D is going to come in at even more of a premium than the P90D.

And unless that P100D is with Ludicrous, it's liable to not be any "faster" than the P90D with Ludicrous is.

But you are right. To each his own.

To me it's important to have peak performance on tap and underfoot each time I'm behind the wheel of my car.

Really, the launches don't do it for me either, so I can sort of appreciate your friends viewpoint.

IDK where the 10k mile figure comes from.

Unless perhaps you're referring to the 21in wheel and tire setup.

Last edited:
I see it exactly the opposite. I use the passing speed every day but how often would I take the car past 270 miles and use the extra 24 the 90D provides? I know from 10k miles of road trips I can slow down 5mph and get that extra range when needed.

The beauty of it is that Tesla offers both choices so all of us are happy! :)

Agree wholeheartedly.