TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Direct-to-consumer sales banned in Louisiana

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by Vamken, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Vamken

Vamken Member

The LA governor signed SB107, banning direct-to-consumer motor vehicle sales.
    Bill Info - SB107

Guess I’ll have to cancel my Model 3 reservation.

Just kidding. Anyone know how a Louisiana resident will go about taking delivery under the new law?

2. FlyF4

FlyF4 Member

sounds like some ICE money went in his backpocket

• Like x 1
  3. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

It really depends on how the bill is worded. I think sometimes people take delivery in another state. Some states it seems like Tesla can deliver it to your door or a nearby parking lot even though they can't have stores or even galleries.

• Informative x 2
  4. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

More likely to be NADA money I suspect, but in this case it's effectively the same. Dealers have often had a big say in politics over the years.

• Like x 1
  5. ZAKEEUS

ZAKEEUS Member

The governor actually said he signed it after being urged by the dealerships. Then some BS about Louisiana wanting Tesla to come here and partner with a dealership. I hope Tesla never does that, my wife will just be picking up her X in Houston just like I did with my S

6. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

The way around it is you pay for the car prior to delivery. The transaction legally happens in California. Tesla then uses a third party carrier to ship the vehicle to your door. You will have a California temp tag, and it's up to you to handle title and registration. It isn't that bad.

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  7. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

#7 wycolo, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    That 'way around' is exactly the same as how my routine purchase was done in Dec 2012. And AFAIK nobody in any of the 50 States has ever been impeded in making a Tesla purchase by phone, internet, by visiting a Store across State lines, etc. And who purchases without first paying for it? So nothing new here, just too much political cash being spread about by Dealerships.
    --

• Like x 1
  8. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Attached Files:

• Funny x 3
  9. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

Well... that was fast. Apparently they not only dislike competition, but they dislike being told about it.

Attached Files:

• Funny x 1
  10. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

#10 andrewket, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    Wow. If the dealers spent half the energy to learn how to properly sell and maintain a business with electric vehicles than they do fighting Tesla they would be successful.

Tesla is 100% correct that EVs won't be successful if left in their hands.

11. tpham07

tpham07 Member

Tesla sales are banned in Texas too so basically the way around the law is to just pay for the car before delivery, therefore technically buying it in a different state.

They can't legally stop you from registering the car in Louisiana so while the process is more inconvenient vs direct sales in basically every other state, people in LA can still buy the car.

And the Louisiana Dealers Association can suck a big fat bag of ****s. They dont support EVs and they know EVs are the future which are maintenance-free essentially which will destroy their core business. They're all running scared. Piss off Price Leblanc.

12. JoeMap

JoeMap Member

Now that's funny right there. The only way to improve on it would be to also tag the Governor and use all social media channels. If enough people do it, they might get the message that passing a direct sales law presents only an inconvenience. Guaranteed the state/governor want the significant sales tax revenue, which they get when you register the vehicle.

Joe