Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dirty car/winter driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in Colorado and my wife commutes 20 interstate miles one way plus other driving. Will my wife need to wash the car pretty regularly when the roads get sloppy with slushy, dirty snow with road salt mixed in? Typically we don't wash the cars that often since they just get dirty anyway, but will that have to change with the M3 and all the sensors?

I wouldn't worry about it.

I mean sure..

in a storm, when your front bumper is covered in snow, cruise control won't work. That only happens in storms.
Sometimes, your side cameras get a layer of dirt and automatic lane change won't work -- oh, I'll just wipe the camera and everything is good again.

It's still just a car at the end. If you can still see through it and you don't mind opening the door and getting a bunch of dirt on your hands, you're good :p

Reactions: patrick80132
I live in Colorado and my wife commutes 20 interstate miles one way plus other driving. Will my wife need to wash the car pretty regularly when the roads get sloppy with slushy, dirty snow with road salt mixed in? Typically we don't wash the cars that often since they just get dirty anyway, but will that have to change with the M3 and all the sensors?

No need to do a full car wash if you're only concerned about sensors. I never had any issues with camera visibility as far as AP is concerned, but I do manually wipe down my rear camera just so I have a clear backup view on the screen. I've come to rely on that camera 100% for backing up (I don't turn around anymore).

I've never had the repeater cameras nor the b pillar cameras get dirty. B pillar is high up, and repeater camera is mostly shielded from the bumpout. But worst case you could wipe those down manually.

I've been doing more car washes on the Teslas than my past cars, but more for vanity than necessity.

As others have said, just wiping off the rear camera so you can see clearly when backing up is probably the most beneficial cleaning in a pinch.
Otherwise, keeping your car's paint clean at least every other week or so during nasty weather is always advised just to keep the corrosive elements off your paint. This is why ceramic paint coatings are a good idea too, they give you an added level of protection against the elements, especially when you can't be out there washing your car as often as you'd like due to various circumstances, e.g. weather, darkness, cold temps, apartment living restrictions, family life, work commitments, laziness, etc.

If your climate stays below freezing for months on end, as it does here, there's not much need to wash the car except to clean off the cameras. Otherwise the car's doors and windows freeze up. If it varies from cold to warm, more frequent washings are needed.

It's just a car.

But it tends to be recommended to wash periodically to get the grime off. If one were to assume that there is no need to wash a car because it is going to get dirty, then one would never wash the car.
Which was about the attitude my parents had, and with many of my old cars, I pretty much had, I mean, if you are driving a 12 year old truck with 275K miles on it (and a case of rust), washing the truck is not high on the list. 1-2 times a year...

You're primary sensors is behind the wiper so that's always kept clean.
With the radar behind the front bumper and not that sensitive to dirt/dust it's not a problem unless snow/ice is building up.
My Jeep radar occasionally gets dirty and pops a warning and I might give it a quick wipe.

What does get dirty frequently is the backup camera. Not sure how much that functions in AP (I wish it had more role from what I can tell).
But I'll give the rear camera a quick spit and wipe on my Model 3 or Jeep during long spells of a grimy car not worth washing.