Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed in Tesla's pricing on paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seriously though, those are specialty colors BMW is charging $1950 for. Not $1500 for regular metallic colors.
Seriously though, Black is the regular colour, everything else is a specialty colour. If you don’t like it, just move on and get a Volt. It’s a pretty easy decision. If you like the colour enough, you’ll pay for it.

Seriously though, those are specialty colors BMW is charging $1950 for. Not $1500 for regular metallic colors.

To me it ultimately comes down to whether the paint job is awesome.

With a Tesla I've already accepted that I'll have to pay for paint correction, and some kind of ceramic coating. I do because the Tesla paint is weak. It's a known weakness, and it has to do with regulations in California.

So obviously any increase by Tesla on the paint is going to be met with resistant from me.

Where I wouldn't have the same resistant from a company like Porsche for their paint job.

There is likely opportunity for Tesla to have a high quality paint/coating type option. Maybe they can do it as an add on service, and use their new body shops for it.

I don't mind spending the money, but at the end of the day I want a really stellar paint job that I don't have to worry too much about.

The $2K paint from Tesla is not it.

Seriously though, Black is the regular colour, everything else is a specialty colour. If you don’t like it, just move on and get a Volt. It’s a pretty easy decision. If you like the colour enough, you’ll pay for it.

People like you are kind of ridiculous. Tesla isn’t perfect. Not everything they do is right. I’m about to order a $60,000 car from them. Obviously I am a big fan (and always have been), but charging this much for paint is ridiculous because you know Tesla paint is not that great. Just because we will pay for it doesn’t mean it is right. It is taking advantage of the customer.

I don’t have a problem with them changing the AWD from $4000-5000 but I do dislike the increases on paint and doc/delivery because they are more than normal- sometimes much more.

For reference, the Model S and X have always charged $1200 for delivery and doc fees.

That I did not realize. I can’t be as upset about that then. Smaller car company might need to charge more for logistics and such (though it sounds like their delivery logistics are not great so far either). I stand firm on the paint thing though. Put the cost somewhere else (PUP for example) and i would have less of an issue with it.

That I did not realize. I can’t be as upset about that then. Smaller car company might need to charge more for logistics and such (though it sounds like their delivery logistics are not great so far either). I stand firm on the paint thing though. Put the cost somewhere else (PUP for example) and i would have less of an issue with it.

I understand where you are coming from but Tesla being in the red how they are - their moral obligation is to repay those whom they borrowed money from.

No matter where they place the price increase, it’s all the same to the consumer.

If they are going to be production constrained, they have a moral obligation to keep raising the prices.

If you haven’t made a move you need to make it fast and pray Tesla doesn’t alter the deal any further. :)

If they can squeeze out 3500 in increases without decreasing demand, they can drop it by 3500 next year to coincide with the 50 percent tax credit loss.

We have a choice to play or not play the cards we are dealt. :(

Last edited:
That I did not realize. I can’t be as upset about that then. Smaller car company might need to charge more for logistics and such (though it sounds like their delivery logistics are not great so far either). I stand firm on the paint thing though. Put the cost somewhere else (PUP for example) and I would have less of an issue with it.
But you aren’t paying extra for mats, nav system, cruise control, and the zillion other things that most manufacturers tack on line by line. And god forbid you want to update your maps. And then with some manufacturers you have a lifelong monthly subscription with indeterminate fees. Maybe the paint is overpriced but I think that’s balanced by the absence of other types of fees. At the end of the day I like that most everything is baked in. I think with any manufacturer you can find something hinky with pricing, from a consumer view.

I believe that demand position will not last long. Capacity problems will not be an issues very soon.
Not sure about that. I do not see much for competition yet. Between the disappointing real world range of the iPace and the very low production numbers for the Kia I think that Tesla will remain best game in town for a while. I have a reservation for the Taycan, but I am not so sure where that is going..... Perhaps it will fund my upgraded Mars Red paint when I replace my leased car in 2 years.

Tesla paint prices are well beyond and above what others charge for metallic based paints. Quick search shows that BMW 530i charges $550 for metallic paint, Porsche Panamera is $830, Audi A6 $575, Lexus GS is included, Lamborghini was higher at $2500. Glad I got my pearl white and reduced doc fee. I guess that extra $1200 in savings ($1000 paint + $200 doc fee) and the mini diecast Model 3 was Elons "something special." Feel for those who were about to order white/red and AWD and have to pay an extra $6500 for those options which were previously $5000. End of the day I still think people will continue to pay whatever price Tesla sets, they want the car and they will pay premiums to get it. I personally would get black at these prices and get a full 3m satin wrap for $2500. Would look more unique and protect car more.

You may be on to something - just like someone here already said, it's probably about a volume discount. So Tesla makes fewer cars than BMW, Lexus and Porsche / AUDI (they are same company, so VAG basically charges you more for the nameplate), but more than Lamborghini. I don't mind the price, but I agree there should be more colors available.

2k for pearl white when most other manufacturers don't even charge extra for pearl white. Or like $500 more tops if they do. 2k is pretty ridiculous, especially when black is the only default. If they have a Basic white similar to the black I would have just bought that, and tesla probably knows this which is why they make the most hard to maintain color, and color that is the hottest in the sun the default option.

From what I read tesla paint isn't even that good so your paying a premium for paint that is just "ok"

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Time for Tesla owners to stop whining... :cool:

The Paint on this Porsche Costs More Than a Porsche » AutoGuide.com News

upload_2018-8-6_21-31-37.png

Reactions: Koflach