Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed in Tesla's pricing on paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
a Model S/X is still cheaper as the PUP is now standard and since more people were ordering it than not, they were paying more 3 months ago then the would today.

Also whats the problem with Tesla wanting to be profitable? Do you want the company to go bankrupt? Good luck getting your car serviced ever again and say goodbye to that supercharger network.

There is a tremendous correlation between those who pay the least and expect the most.

Those who understand where you are coming and applied that would be driving and or working towards P100Ds and give zero bothers about paint costs.

I’m not there yet but hope to get there someday. :)

Reactions: P85_DA
See the latest trick Tesla is pulling? They doubled the price of Pearl White or Multi Coat Red paint to $2000 instead of $1000. And the other colors aside from basic ugly black are now $1500 instead of $1000.

Someone tell me how this can be justified, how this is anything other then a greedy company putting profits ahead of giving its customers a fair deal.

Tesla is doing this same price trick across the S, X, and 3 lines. I guess they figure they can pull in lots of extra money this way, and anyone who doesn't like basic black pays for their GREED.
They have a right to do it but it's a money grab and doesn't sit well with me. I assure you they can't charge those amounts in the future once the bloom is off the rose.

The OP is not wrong but had a reactionary, negative tone. Yes, they absolutely are charging way too much for paint. Show many any other manufacturer who charges this much. Tesla is needing to move beyond the fanatics. I'm buying the car because it's a great car. It just happens to be electric. They are now charging exorbitant prices on paint because they know they can get away with it on their fanatics who've lined up waiting to buy one. It reminds me of a sad cliche line in sales that if you can't screw your family and friends, then who can you screw over? Maybe they need to increase prices but have committed themselves to the $35,000 mark that they can't really meet. Who knows. Glad I got in before the price increase though.

The OP is not wrong but had a reactionary, negative tone. Yes, they absolutely are charging way too much for paint. Show many any other manufacturer who charges this much. Tesla is needing to move beyond the fanatics. I'm buying the car because it's a great car. It just happens to be electric. They are now charging exorbitant prices on paint because they know they can get away with it on their fanatics who've lined up waiting to buy one. It reminds me of a sad cliche line in sales that if you can't screw your family and friends, then who can you screw over? Maybe they need to increase prices but have committed themselves to the $35,000 mark that they can't really meet. Who knows. Glad I got in before the price increase though.

"The electric vehicle producer reported ($3.06) earnings per share for the quarter, beating the Zacks’ consensus estimate of ($3.61)"

Tesla beat the street by losing LESS money than what analysts were predicting.

Hard to screw people when -3.06 * 171 Million shares is a whopper of a cash burn.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911

I already did. BMW has a $1950 option, MB has a $3950 option

Its like, they finally get a glimpse of luxury life and expect to be worshipped all of the sudden, or they can barely afford their tesla and are super pissed they have to dish out another $500 for it.

Whenever I come to a road situation where I have to merge, or another car and I get to a 4 way stop sign at the same time, my thought process is "My car is better. I go first".

This even applies to Mercedes and BMW and Audi high end cars, because they are all over the place compared to Teslas.

I thought this way with my previous car, an '11 Challenger R/T also.

My R/T's monthly payment + gas money was actually a little bit higher than my Model 3 payment + electricity is.

• Funny
Reactions: mhan00
mod note: 13 posts moved to snippiness for profanity and personal attacks. I had to move other content that was quoting those posts or was involved in those sub conversations as well. If you have something valuable to add back to the thread, feel free to copy paste from the link.

You moved posts but not change the title which is inflammatory to begin with ??? That’s where a lot of these comments are coming from

I already did. BMW has a $1950 option, MB has a $3950 option

i like how people disagreed with my post where i said BMW has $1950 paints and MB has a $3950 option. Was i lying? Those are actual prices car companies charge for paint. You can argue its premium paint all you want, the fact is other car companies do charge high amounts for certain paints.

i like how people disagreed with my post where i said BMW has $1950 paints and MB has a $3950 option. Was i lying? Those are actual prices car companies charge for paint. You can argue its premium paint all you want, the fact is other car companies do charge high amounts for certain paints.

You are getting disagreed with for a reason, and then you are running around downvoting unrelated posts of people who disagree with you, which is childish.

It is absurd to compare pricing of a stock metallic paint color with another companies custom color options and claim that they are the same.

$1950 for a "stock" metallic paint is ridiculous. Anyone who has been buying cars in this price range and has seen what Merc/BMW/Audi charges for "stock" metallic colors ($550-$750) understands that $1500-$2000 for paint colors is crazy expensive....

You continue to argue that because BMW or Audi offer executive colors, that have to be specially applied at the factory (they are done in batches, the entire paint line is shut down to do them and it might delay the building of your car by 2-3 months), are given extra care and attention and in most cases will be UNIQUE in the area you live in (I live in a city of 750,000 and I have only seen a tiny number of German cars painted in any of the personalized colors over the past 15 years), that there is some equivalency here.

There is no equivalency.

You are wrong.

Just as you'd be wrong if Gap increased the price of their jeans to $199 and people were understandably outraged and someone foolishly pointed out that you can buy high end designer jeans at Nordstrom that cost that much when the real comparison is what similar manufacturers to Gap charge for similar products.

Tesla is charging the extra $$ because they know they can get away with it, just like they are charging $5,000 for dual motor when other manufacturers offer all-wheel-drive options in similar cars for under $2,000.

When tax incentives dry up I imagine we will see some "recalibration" of this pricing strategy from Tesla.

Last edited:
There is no equivalency.

You are wrong.

Ah, i didn't realize you were the 100% all-knowing correct decider of all things Tesla, my bad. I shall withdraw from commenting. Because absolutely nobody else here agreed with me at all.

In fact, 99.9% of the posts in this thread are agreeing with the OP's opinion of Tesla paint charges. How dare i.

If you want to use the example of Tesla charges $$ for _____ while other car manufacturers charge $$$, then two can play at that game. Tesla gives everyone free GPS navigation while other cars can charge thousands for GPS navigation packages. Rear View backup camera? Not standard on all BMWs. The list goes on.

Ah, i didn't realize you were the 100% all-knowing correct decider of all things Tesla, my bad. I shall withdraw from commenting. Because absolutely nobody else here agreed with me at all.

In fact, 99.9% of the posts in this thread are agreeing with the OP's opinion of Tesla paint charges. How dare i.

You are entitled to your opinion the same as anyone.

However when you continue to insist that two nonequivalent things are equivalent in order to try to prove your point, that Tesla is "not overcharging for paint" then expect to get called out on it.

Tesla MUST move past the diehard fanatics in order to survive, because there aren't enough of those people to buy the 10K cars a week Tesla says they will be building by this time next year. The typical consumer who isn't on a religious crusade to own an EV, but is looking at it from a performance/maintenance/cost perspective will be put off by these paint prices. Tesla needs these customers once the well of early adopters dries up. I believe that, just like consumers will pay a premium for an Apple product, consumers will pay a premium for a Tesla product..... up to a point. $2,000 for red or white paint is past that point, in my opinion. $1500 for metallic gray, silver, blue or black is past that point.

While I take my hat off to Tesla for milking us early adopters for all they can squeeze out of us, this will be seen as a turn off to people who, for example, compare buying a Tesla Model 3 DM with a paint choice, to buying a new Audi A4 or Mercedes C class with a similar paint choice.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
However when you continue to insist that two nonequivalent things are equivalent in order to try to prove your point, that Tesla is "not overcharging for paint" then expect to get called out on it.

I never said they were equivalent. The argument was no other car manufacturer charges thousands of dollars for paint options. The fact is, they do. Argue all you want that BMW/MB offerings are a lot more premium, sure. Okay maybe the paint is better, but they still charge a lot of money for it. Tesla charging $$$$ for paint choice is not a "never been done outrageous proposition" as some would suggest.

Reactions: MXWing