TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Disappointed to see 7.1 doesn't really fix with windshield wipers

Discussion in 'Model S' started by eye.surgeon, Jan 18, 2016.

1. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

#1 eye.surgeon, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    auto-rain sensing is still very poor. There is still little to no discernable difference between the two rain sensing settings. It still wipes too much, alternated by periods of too little wiping. Perhaps the intermittent crazy fast wiping has been fixed, but they still don't speed up and slow down effectively. Disappointing for such an off-the-shelf system...not like they have to develop this themselves.

They should change the second rain sensing to slow intermittent non-sensing wipes. like every 8 seconds, paused when speed=0. Leave the first rain sensing setting as actual rain sensing. That would take about 20 lines of code and make a big difference.

2. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Pretty much matches my experience. No significant improvement

3. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Mine has been fine, I've been able to keep it on just the rain sense setting (the three dots) and can't think of a time where they were out of control or I felt like they weren't behaving reasonably.

Jeff

4. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Not sure how much rain the Bay Area has gotten lately. Here in Portland, with a cool 20 inches in the last seven weeks (500 liters per square meter for the metric people), the "rain randomizing" wipers are kind of a PITA. And with 7.1 I still get the occasional "crazy super fast, even with light rain". I get the "the rain stopped, but the wipers keep going". I get "it rains a little and it takes way to long for the wipers to engage". And the two auto modes make no difference I can discern.

5. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Interesting, while we haven't been that wet here we did just get 2" in the last day or two so it's not dry here either. Drove in the rain a fair amount and I can't think of a time where they didn't stop when the rain stopped or didn't start when the rain started. Then again, to be fair, I have a coating on my windshield that's highly hydrophobic so it's quite possible that I didn't notice the slow starting problem due to my windshield remaining clean enough to see through even in light to moderate rain.

It's the same system MB uses and I know a few MB owners who have the same complaints so while I think Tesla has improved them from 7.0 to 7.1 (I haven't had any run away full fast wiping in very light rain since 7.1), I think there are inherent software bugs that will take time to get worked out.

Maybe I'm wrong on that... :)

Jeff

6. green1

green1 Active Member

Matches my experience. On both 6.2 and 7.0 I have had zero issues with the auto rain sensing wipers, they work perfectly. In fact they work better than any other car I've tried with rain sensing wipers (which have driven me nuts in some rentals I've had over the years) I turned the auto-wipers on when I first got the car, and haven't had to touch them since, nor have I had them doing anything that I myself would not have done in manual mode.

7. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

My wipers work much better on 7.1 than previous versions. They are less crazy, better detect light rain, and more appropriately ramp up their speed in response to increasing rain. (Bay Area has had more rain in the past 2 months than the previous 2 years I've had the car. Even with the tiny amount of rain on earlier versions, it was clear the wiper function was bizarre. Now it works like I expect wipers to work)

8. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Mine seem generally better. Though I also see no difference between the two settings.

9. msnow

msnow Active Member

Mine are fine now.

10. David99

David99 Active Member

I haven't been able to test 7.1 yet (car is in the shop) but I was actually pretty happy with the way it worked when I got my car originally 2 years ago and each software update made it worse.

One issue I see, though is how different people like to set their wipers. What would be a perfectly fine setting for me, is not good for someone else. It's very subjective. I don't think I want to be the person who is in charge of programming this. You can't win. Kind of similar to the climate control.

11. BertL

BertL Active Member

Great improvements for me also with 7.1.

12. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

No improvement for me. Still seems as crazy as always. Can't decide between no wiping when the windshield is covered in drizzle to wiping dry glass frantically. It kinda seems to start out okay, then just goes nuts after a period of time.

13. Zextraterrestrial

We had 15 inches of rain in December + half that in the last 2 weeks and I don't ever get the crazy fast wiping...but I am almost always completely blind before the auto-wipe wipes so my left pinky is getting pretty strong!

14. DougH

DougH Active Member

I have had none of these issues since updating to 7.1 a week ago.

15. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

Don't know if this is helpful but my autowipers started working MUCH better last week after having the windshield replaced. They also replaced the wiper blades and upgraded the firmware (from one 7.0 to a later 7.0). I haven't driven it since the 7.1 upgrade. They're working better than they have in the three years I've owned the car.

16. Bratwurst

Bratwurst Member

In fairness, I have never been happy with rain sensing wipers in BMW or Mercedes either. I would be MUCH happier with a simple time delay. I coat my windshield with Glaco or some other windshield rain repellant and leave the wipers off 90% of the time.

17. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

In a light drizzle 7.1 seemed worse than 7. I had to manually wipe, and THEN it realized it needed to wipe. After a few minutes it stopped wiping again. I just turned them on low.

Perhaps classic S's have outdated sensors?

18. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

I'm hoping for "deep learning" AI that records when I manually push the one-wipe button and that gets sent back to the mother ship and eventually a customized/improved algorithm is part of a future upgrade. Coming "soon". Well I can dream can't I?

19. bws

bws Member

For those that like the way the sensors are working, which setting do you have it at? When I set the car to 1 dot, the wipers go much faster than I would like. I was driving in the rain yesterday and I had to turn the wipers off, then on to 1 dot, then off, myself, because they would go so fast with a light drizzle that it was very annoying.

They seem to work fine when the rain is above a certain threshold, but if its below that, or if the rain stops, the wipers continue to quickly for too long.

20. PatD

PatD Member

It's obvious that the sensitivity can be controlled via a firmware update. So it's programmable. Thus give us a slider in the UI to control the sensitivity. Then no one at Tesla has to "program" the sensitivity and never get it right for everyone.