Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discount for allowing self driving delivery

Discount for allowing self drive delivery

• $1,000

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • $2,000

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • $3,000

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • $4,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $5,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No amount, I want 0 miles on my car when I get it.

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dww12

Supporting Member
Nov 10, 2018
San Antonio
With the new AP chip coming soon I think Tesla could reduce the cost per car by allowing the car to self drive to your delivery center. This would reduce the lots they need for storage, the trucks they need for shipping and the logistics of putting the right car on the right truck at the right time. You could also get your car a day or two after it leaves the factory. The down side being it would arrive with a few thousand miles on it. What discount would you take to accept this sort of delivery? For the poll assume 1,500 miles when you get it. How much do you think Tesla could save per car doing it this way?

• Funny
Reactions: voip-ninja
If the $1000 destination fee is fixed, then that is not the real cost of delivery. It is probabally more. Just currious how many people would accept a new car with 1,500 miles on it and how much that is worth to them. The other poll was a fixed amout, it does not cost Tesla a fixed amout to deliver cars. Self driving deliveries could have fixed all those cars waiting in train stations, the acres of parking lots and Tesla not being able to get enough trucks. They lost money every day those cars sat. Self driving deliveries seems like it could be a big cost savings lever that Tesla can pull that no other car maker can. Just wondering what the pain point is for a customer. For me I think it would have been around $4k for my P3D. For a Standard range 3 I think a $1-$2k discount would do it. That may be less than it costs Tesla to deliver it by truck, therefor getting closer to the $35k car without doing anything inside the factory.

Last edited:
Reactions: MP3Mike
Tesla is so far away from this happening, it's not even funny. Even Waymo is at least a half decade, probably more, from this sort of behavior.
The codes for the new AP chip are in the cars going to Europe now. The delivery routs would be mostly highway and for the most part fixed. It would be the perfect initial test of FSD. CA and NV will be on board fast. Get AZ and NM and you are in Texas. CA, TX, NV are more than 1/2 of Tesla sales.

I think you are drastically over-valuing the cost to Tesla to move cars around the country. No way they are giving a multi-thousand dollar discount to avoid having to ship a car (nor could they afford to). I'd expect the true cost to Tesla, on average, to only be five hundred dollars per car, and likely less.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Regardless of the number of miles put on it from the driving why would I want to take delivery of a car that already has rock chips, dirt, and other road damage, not to mention what idiots would do if they saw you car driving by itself? I assume that accepting a discount would mean that all that damage is up to you to take care, no thanks. I'd rather get it from Tesla, inspect it and have them correct anything wrong with it.

Ah- yeah that source has already been at least partly debunked- for example they're wrong about the radar- there is no second radar.

It's a redundant connection to the same single radar.

And it isn't "new" it was in 2.5 too.

Regardless of the number of miles put on it from the driving why would I want to take delivery of a car that already has rock chips, dirt, and other road damage, not to mention what idiots would do if they saw you car driving by itself? I assume that accepting a discount would mean that all that damage is up to you to take care, no thanks. I'd rather get it from Tesla, inspect it and have them correct anything wrong with it.
It would self drive with A LOT of plastic (all body panels/all windows/undercarriage). Could be less damage than an open car hauler since it could completely avoid traffic. I am saying it arrives in same condition, but with miles. If Tesla’s total cost of delivery is less than $1,000 then this is pointless, if it is more then I think there are some options.

It would self drive with A LOT of plastic (all body panels/all windows/undercarriage). Could be less damage than an open car hauler since it could completely avoid traffic. I am saying it arrives in same condition, but with miles. If Tesla’s total cost of delivery is less than $1,000 then this is pointless, if it is more then I think there are some options.
Regardless, I don't think Tesla's delivery costs are under $1,000, and they'd have to discount the cars by at least a couple thousand to get many people to accept that offer.

The codes for the new AP chip are in the cars going to Europe now.
The new chip will not magically enable full autonomous driving without supervision. Tesla (as well as others working on this) still has a very long way to go on the software side. And I wouldn't be surprised if the current sensor suite turned out to be insufficient in the end.

The new chip will not magically enable full autonomous driving without supervision. Tesla (as well as others working on this) still has a very long way to go on the software side. And I wouldn't be surprised if the current sensor suite turned out to be insufficient in the end.
The service center routes would be fixed, almost all highway with very few surface street miles. You could even rout with no left turns. It would be the best first step to FSD since there is no passenger getting mad that the car is taking a slow route or pulled over to park during rush hour.