Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discount Tire installed tires incorrectly!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Argh, just learned that when my wife drove away from DT with new tires she heard a noise and immediately brought it back. They fixed their mistake and claimed all was ok (of course that’s what they would say). Any ideas of the damage this could cause? They didn’t even get the PSI right. Amateur-hour at Mira Mesa Discout Tire here in San Diego. They didn’t even try to get any kind of warranty refund on the tire (after only around 20k miles).

Happened to me last year.... I was putting winter tires on stock rims, they put 265 Tire on the rear 9.5inch rim and put it at the front.
It would rub when backing up so I never noticed till I got home. I had told them it was a staggered setup but I guess they didn't realise the rims were also different size.
My advice is when you go to a tire place make sure they know that not only are our tires different size at the front but also the rim size.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ramiel
So this is a common mistake that tires shops make? Installing the wrong size and/or at the wrong location?
If it was a one-off mistake I could understand but if it's common amongst Teslas I wonder why. Maybe they're used to dealing with the same sizes on all 4 corners since that's the setup on a vast majority of cars nowadays. Still, it will be a little disconcerting to drive away and there be a problem.

So this is a common mistake that tires shops make? Installing the wrong size and/or at the wrong location?
If it was a one-off mistake I could understand but if it's common amongst Teslas I wonder why. Maybe they're used to dealing with the same sizes on all 4 corners since that's the setup on a vast majority of cars nowadays. Still, it will be a little disconcerting to drive away and there be a problem.

From my first experience at changing rims/tires it was more they were so amazed with the car they couldn't concentrate on the work. The X was the centre of attention. I was at Kaltire Which is a big franchise and the guys and lady there were really into the car. There is a glass waiting area where you can see cars getting work done. I was right there so everyone could see it. It's surprising to me that a lot of people still haven't heard of Tesla. I was basically a salesperson for Tesla while there both for theemployees and customers dropping off their cars for work. It's a nice experience owning a Tesla. Never happened with any other cars we have had.

But yeah, it's probably better to make sure the Tire shop knows about the staggered setup.

Everyone needs to remember that you don't need any sort of qualification or experience to work at a tire shop. That's where many mechanics get their start as teenagers, getting their foot in the door with the industry. I have seen many licensed tech's install tires backwards or staggered wheels on the wrong end of the car!

Definitely give your shop all the heads up you can, even if they think you are trying to micromanage them ;)

I'm confused, what did they install wrong and how? What made a noise?

Model X has a staggered setup. Meaning wider at the back.
Fronts are 20 inch rim 9 inch width
Rear used to be 20 inch rim 10 inch width now 9.5 plus the front and rear tires are also different.

I had shop put the rear wider rim in the front. Doesn't clear properly cause it's too wide. You notice grinding metal when reversing.

So not only are you making sure they put right rims in right spots, make sure it's also right tires in right rims..
265 in the front 275 in rear.
You cannot rotate tires, so they wear faster

Make sure the info is correct for the vehicle you have, This should all be in the DT database and usually what happens is they just insert the wrong vehicle info. Firstly, make sure that's corrected. Secondly if you have a setup like this, tell the person and confirm. I've run fleet vehicles and changed more tires than someone could imagine from 8" all the way up to 24.5" looking at a 1/2" width difference isn't easy. but DT uses Hunter Engineering balancers, who I've worked for, and those usually require the width of tire to be checked with the machine and the tech should have figured it out then. What probably happened was they saw one was 9 or 9.5 and they assumed the others were and didn't change the settings.

However, on all those notes, it could have happened to anyone. Tesla obviously knows that because the techs were specifically trained on it. DT and any other shop has to be able to service every vehicle ever made.

The was a DT where a guy took his Ford GT to, it was the same tech that did his tires every time because he taught the guy to do it and the guy knew. If someone doesn't know and the data doesn't say otherwise, they don't know to ask.

Most of the tires we've purchased so far for our 3 Teslas has been done by Tesla - ensuring we have people who know what they are doing installing the tires.

And when I have had a 3rd party work on the tires, I've always been next to the car to ensure they know what they are doing - especially lifting the vehicle properly without risking damage to the battery pack.

Since there are more Tesla vehicles on the road now, more tire store technicians should be aware of handling vehicles with battery packs underneath the cabin, though it may still be worthwhile to verify they know how to handle the lift and placement of the tires.

Model X has a staggered setup. Meaning wider at the back.
Fronts are 20 inch rim 9 inch width
Rear used to be 20 inch rim 10 inch width now 9.5 plus the front and rear tires are also different.

I had shop put the rear wider rim in the front. Doesn't clear properly cause it's too wide. You notice grinding metal when reversing.

So not only are you making sure they put right rims in right spots, make sure it's also right tires in right rims..
265 in the front 275 in rear.
You cannot rotate tires, so they wear faster

That's easy to deal with. Take every exit ramp at 50 mph. The tires won't last long enough to wear unevenly.