Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discrepancy in the displayed speed limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the Cincinnati area I am finding that the displayed speed limit is off about 50% of the time on local and state roads (outside of the interstate systems). When it is not correct, most of the times it appears to be on the conservative side. I realize that I should look for posted speed limits, but sometimes it takes forever to find one, and I could be frustrating the drivers behind me (it is a stricter enforcement on local roads compared to interstate over here, a friend of mine got a ticket for doing 40 in a 35 zone). Ok, it's a problem in an ICE/other navigation tool also ... I get that.
  • Can we file a "verbal bug"? (Haven't tried that yet)
  • Is there a way to pull an updated map?

...displayed speed limit is off...

Only AP1 can read speed signs.

AP2 and above WILL be able to read them in the future but not now.

Since Tesla projects that it will be able to automatically comply with traffic lights and stop signs by the year-end, I think Speed Sign Reader should work by then.

I wouldn't want to flood the Autopilot team with reports of this very well known bug while they are already working on it, hopefully by the year-end.

Last edited:
Yep, they are wrong, been that way since the new maps about a year ago. It sucks.

By the way, not finding a sign isn't a good excuse. How did you drive in other cars. BTW, Garmin GPSs have the correct speeds in them and are relatively cheap, if you really need the info.

In the Cincinnati area I am finding that the displayed speed limit is off about 50% of the time on local and state roads (outside of the interstate systems). When it is not correct, most of the times it appears to be on the conservative side. I realize that I should look for posted speed limits, but sometimes it takes forever to find one, and I could be frustrating the drivers behind me (it is a stricter enforcement on local roads compared to interstate over here, a friend of mine got a ticket for doing 40 in a 35 zone). Ok, it's a problem in an ICE/other navigation tool also ... I get that.
  • Can we file a "verbal bug"? (Haven't tried that yet)
  • Is there a way to pull an updated map?

Have the same issue with a 2018 Ford, at least you will get OTA updates at some point...

How can AP2 not read street signs but it can navigate on AP and read stop lights and stop signs?

Currently it doesn't, except sometimes (on latest build) maybe read them...

The speed limit database has a lot of inaccuracies. It is good enough to rely on, providing you also read all the speed limit signs.

My favorite problem with speed limits is on a couple of roads where the database is correct going one direction, but wrong in the other direction. :)

I'm hoping that HW3 will have enough bandwidth to start reading speed limit signs, and then the car can reliably modify your speed when the limit changes. I just have no idea when it is going to start handling the edge cases such as temporary construction speed limits and time-of-day speed limits, such as around schools.

On the order page, those two functions are predicted for the end of the year, not now.

The same way as a handheld Garmin that doesn't read signs but it guides your driving throughout the world.
Garmin doesn't tell you where the cars are and how not to hit them, Garmin doesn't change lanes and brake, turn, accelerate your car for you.

Garmin doesn't tell you where the cars are and how not to hit them, Garmin doesn't change lanes and brake, turn, accelerate your car for you.

No. It does not.

What it does is audibly and visually guide drivers where to go.

Instead of using those audio and visual cues for the driver, you can feed those data to your car as parts of data to determine how your car automatically steer, accelerate, brake...

The point is Garmin is as blind as a bat. It does not have any vision and it can still guide you.

Tesla has more than what Garmin has, so there is no reason that it can't exit at a correct exit even if it does not know how to read exit sign.

Yep, they are wrong, been that way since the new maps about a year ago. It sucks.

By the way, not finding a sign isn't a good excuse. How did you drive in other cars. BTW, Garmin GPSs have the correct speeds in them and are relatively cheap, if you really need the info.
I didn't state it ... yes, I am responsible for knowing the speed limits. Would have been a problem in my (former) ICE as well. I am new to Cincy (moved from New England), and here I hadn't "gone for a drive" in my ICE, and so I don't know the speed limits on many local roads. I do know very well the speed limits from home to work, and back.
But now that I have my M3, it feels good going for a Sunday drive. And for the first time I am using a navigation tool seriously, and the local road speed limits are not reliable. Ok, first world problems within first world problems! Not complaining ... glad to know that I am not alone.

No. It does not.

What it does is audibly and visually guide drivers where to go.

Instead of using those audio and visual cues for the driver, you can feed those data to your car as parts of data to determine how your car automatically steer, accelerate, brake...

The point is Garmin is as blind as a bat. It does not have any vision and it can still guide you.

Tesla has more than what Garmin has, so there is no reason that it can't exit at a correct exit even if it does not know how to read exit sign.

So the can make the car look at other objects and determine if they are other cars or not but they can't figure out how to make it look at signs and tell what they are? Mobile eye figured this out long ago and Tesla still can't seem to understand what they're doing?

...they can't figure out how to make it look at signs and tell what they are...

Lots of companies have figured out lots of things but as a general automatic driving application, Tesla is much more superior to others.

MobilEye in Cadillac Supercruise is pretty good but it can't function in city streets and construction zones and unprepped locations...

Waymo is almost there but it is imprisoned in 100 square miles in Chandler, AZ. What about Detroit folks? Moscow folks?

Lots of companies have figured out lots of things but as a general automatic driving application, Tesla is much more superior to others.

MobilEye in Cadillac Supercruise is pretty good but it can't function in city streets and construction zones and unprepped locations...

Waymo is almost there but it is imprisoned in 100 square miles in Chandler, AZ. What about Detroit folks? Moscow folks?

No tesla S, X, or 3 I've driven can fully function in city streets, construction zones or unprepared locations either. It simply doesn't work when there's no traffic markings, so what makes Tesla much more superior to others if it has the same limitations, and it can't even read street signs like Cadillac?