Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion about production Model 3 #1 (SN1)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My guess is that the board has a policy of everyone paying full price.
But in term of sequencing deliveries and VINs, I bet they have more leeway to juggle things around as they see fit.
I would also guess that Elon and Ira both have/had deposits down and Ira just agreed to trade places in line.

They do appear to disapprove of anyone trying to sell a place in line. They only gave some vague indication of how they will shuffle the delivery order list. I assume that they get special requests here and there, but some random non-board member trying to gift some random "friend" an earlier place in line probably wouldn't get the attention of the right people to make it happen. So, yeah, there are some perks of being at the top... Just not free cars apparently.

one of the main things holding me back is that it is not a hatchback. :( I hope that changes.

You must be kidding. They can't do a hatchback and still have headroom for rear passengers because of the support beam which would be required. Plus there is no chance they'll do a structural redesign of the car at this point in time. It won't be getting a hatchback any time soon.

You must be kidding. They can't do a hatchback and still have headroom for rear passengers because of the support beam which would be required. Plus there is no chance they'll do a structural redesign of the car at this point in time. It won't be getting a hatchback any time soon.

Don't worry, I've spent the day talking myself out of storage being a deciding factor. I've had my S since October & besides taking people for rides to show them my car I have only had more than 2 people in it once I think & that was yesterday lol. I have the back seat dropped more often than not but I could always use my husband's ICE if I need to transport something I can't fit.

Reactions: AlanSqB
Model 3 - Body Structure/Frame • r/teslamotors

gBfoFw2.jpg

Note licence plate bracket

Great video. Can anyone tell if the windows goes down when the door is opened and back up when it closes? I feel like it does but it’s really hard to tell.

It doesn't have a frame, and it looks just like the bigger one on the S, which has to slide up under the door lip to seal. I would guess it's the same. More than guess. Why would they not do it? The window is already electric, so it's just programming.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Yeah, I can see the case if it was paid in full. But, my understanding is you don't need to pay in full until you take delivery.

These are just pictures so I don't know if it's actually been delivered. My understanding is delivery won't happen till July 28th.

Now I know they won't allow selling the slot. But, I just found it funny. I also interpreted what was said as him giving Elon the slot, and not the car.
Sorry, I should have made it more clear, the unwritten rule is the first production of a Tesla Model goes to who pays the car in full to Elon in person.
First Model S went to Steve Jurvetson because he wrote a blank check to Elon as soon as he found out about it.
First Gen 2 Roadster will go to Konstantin Othmer (Elon required him to go to Tesla HQ in person to pay $200k and sign agreement).
First Roadster/Model X went to Elon (I guess for X no one did that; first Roadster Elon wanted it personally), Elon only got Model S #2.
The unconventional way Elon Musk decides who gets to be first to buy a new Tesla

I imagine this case was no different, board member Ira Ehrenpreis most likely paid in full immediately.

As for the slot swapping, I imagine Elon just gave his own slot back to Ira. It is highly likely Elon had his own slot (perhaps #2). Perhaps that is allowed anyways without having to go the gift route (a mutual slot swapping doesn't really affect anyone else).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and MikeBur