Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 Price reductions - Jan / April / Oct 2023 and all other pricing discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's not all rainbows and butterflies with highland update. A LOT of other useful features got stiped out on top of the turn stalk.
There is a thread about just that, for those who are interested:

Consumers respond to pricing, first and foremost.
If they price keeps going down (further depreciating the existing fleet of TM3's in owners hands), consumers will overlook all other deficiencies.

As of right now in January of 2024 (answer varies over time, and will likely change in the future), for US built Model 3s:
  • TM3-RWD : LFP (Lithium-iron-phosphate) prismatic batteries using 2170 cylinders, largely produced by CATL in China. LFP batteries can be 30% less energy dense, but do not degrade from repeated 100% charging cycles.
  • TM3-LR : NMC M50 cells (or actually NMC-A as they also have 4% aluminum) manufactured by LG in China.
  • TM3-P : NCA (Nickel-cobalt-aluminum) battery using 2170 cells, manufactured by Panasonic in the US Nevada gigafactory.

View attachment 1005446

Batteries assembled in Nevada theoretically qualify for full $7,500 Fed credit, subject to many other restrictions (including owner's income).
Batteries assembled in China get the theoretical credit phased out (subject to all the other restrictions) to at most $3,750 level, and to $0 at some point in the future.

HTH,
a

So here we are in February, and I see that fed tax credits need to be worked out at the point of sale, and Tesla is not advertising anything on their website about it. They aren’t taking any orders on M3 Performance either. The EPA / FuelEconomy site says 2023-2024 M3 Performance does qualify. So maybe grabbing an inventory 2023 Performance (if that’s something you want) right now would be smart. If Tesla changes their M3 Performance battery production location, then that will also fall off the list too. If you make over $300k/year with your spouse, or over the limit for single people, then maybe none of this matters to you anyway. I am guessing that early-adopters are probably the rich people anyway. It looks like people are comparing the better highland build quality to MS cars anyway. So maybe it’s all Richie Rich looking at the highland right now anyway. Federal incentives don’t matter. If you are a bargain shopper, the MY might be your thing right now anyway.

359A6472-7757-47B7-9C0F-B6C2FF4AD772.png

Edit: I guess I should take this to the 3 AND Y price discussion thread. Interesting that 2023 RWD don’t qualify anymore while 2024 Y do.

Last edited: