Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 Price reductions - Jan / April / Oct 2023 and all other pricing discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has reduced Model Y and Model 3 prices DRASTICALLY. Now several models will qualify for the $7,500 tax incentive until at least March.

Here is a picture of the price reductions.

A7FCE130-2126-4D09-A183-0C64FE481514.jpeg

It is important to note which cars will now qualify for the tax credits and which won’t.

Model 3 RWD qualifies for the Tax credit until March. The effective price for a no option Model 3 RWD should now be about $36,500 after the tax credit.

Model 3 LR should qualify for the tax credit. However, you can’t configure it on the site. You will have to find one already built but not sold to get one.

Model 3 Performance is under the $55k cap now. However, it is not listed on the government website as being eligible. The Tesla website explicitly says it qualifies right now but this may be incorrect. You might find that when you file your tax return in 2024 they deny it because it is not listed as being eligible with the government.

Model Y LR now qualifies. The effective price for it is now about $45,490 after tax credits.😳😭

Resell values have been OBLITERATED! These cars are essentially worthless on the resell market now.

This really is a monumental shift in pricing for Tesla. They were already dominating the market and this can only strengthen their lead.

None of the Model Y Performance cars will qualify for the tax credits but that price is now less than I paid for my 2022 Model 3 Performance($59k).

================================================

(moderator note: In model 3 subforum this will be THE thread on this topic. All discussion on this price cut in this subforum will be moved in to this thread, so there will not be multiples of this topic in this subforum)

Last edited by a moderator:
lol. Wishful thinking. Tesla is facing demand softness … Hence the 20% cut for the Y
Tesla was always able to control the price to match demand to maximize profit. At nearly 30% margin, Tesla had a LOT of room to lower the price IF NEEDED. Now, I believe, Tesla decided to size the opportunity to totally overwhelm the car market in the US. Considering the interest to EVs is at or above 50% of potential new car buyers, most of them will click the Tesla order button within a few days. No other car maker is able to respond to Tesla without either going belly up.

Now watch for Tesla expedited introduction of Cybertruck and new modifications of Model Y and 3 to ensure taking over nearly all market segments.

Lower, yes, but not worthless. In a month or so, the waiting time will extend to the end of 2023 if now beyond. This will increase the used vehicle price as they are now eligible for $4k tax credit if I am not mistaken.
No, the used tax credit cap is $25k. Yes, I was exaggerating by saying they are “worthless” but honestly if you get offered $35k for a 2022 Model 3 Performance or a Model Y then it is essentially worthless. No one would sell that vehicle at such a huge loss.

Reactions: driver7 and Brou
In other words, Tesla shares to $500! Especially, if Tesla starts selling CT by fall at ~$50k starting price. It seems, Biden administration has just handled the entire car market (not just EVs) to Tesla without really thinking about it.
Cyber Truck can be priced at less than $80k and get the tax credit. All pickup trucks will get the $80k cap.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
No, the used tax credit cap is $25k. Yes, I was exaggerating by saying they are “worthless” but honestly if you get offered $35k for a 2022 Model 3 Performance or a Model Y then it is essentially worthless. No one would sell that vehicle at such a huge loss.
Yes, I agree, the market will take time to adjust. Many people who had selling their newer M3s and MYs soon are basically screwed. Some higher mileage 18 M3 may very well be about $25k anyway.

Hyundai/Kia will be essentially pushed out of the EV market now. All of their EVs just suddenly got REALLY expensive when compared to the competition from Tesla. Hyundai/Kia lost the tax credits and Tesla gained them all while lowering the Tesla MSRPs.
EXACTLY! And not just them. But Ford, VW, and perhaps even GM (as their volumes are tiny). We might be at a revolutionary turn of the car market.

Lower, yes, but not worthless. In a month or so, the waiting time will extend to the end of 2023 if now beyond. This will increase the used vehicle price as they are now eligible for $4k tax credit if I am not mistaken.
Here is Vroom’s offer for my 2022 Model 3 Performance with 13k miles in excellent condition. They offered me $66k for it 6 months ago.

19E6543D-96B4-4E32-B046-42EE370E8EA9.jpeg