Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Model 3 and Y price drop Jan 2023 / April 2023 / Oct 2023 and All other Pricing Speculation going forward

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Showing up expecting to buy a car the same day is not possible on Dec 31.
Because a single person at a single location told you it wasn’t?

Tesla pretty famously sells everything that isn’t bolted down at the end of each quarter, and especially at the end of the year, and the entire organization is highly incentivized to make every single sale possible.

It’s a pretty terrible strategy and I’ve been telling anyone seriously interested in buying this quarter they should have done so weeks ago when discounts were maxed out and selection was still good, but thinking it’s “not possible” to score a last minute deal in person tomorrow is naive.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh

Tesla pretty famously sells everything that isn’t bolted down at the end of each quarter, and especially at the end of the year, and the entire organization is highly incentivized to make every single sale possible.

It’s a pretty terrible strategy and I’ve been telling anyone seriously interested in buying this quarter they should have done so weeks ago when discounts were maxed out and selection was still good, but thinking it’s “not possible” to score a last minute deal in person tomorrow is naive.
If you buy a Tesla on 12/31/23 without ordering ahead of this day, please post your experience.

Yep, Lots of inventory discounts Y still available. in AZ. and lots of pressure (eg no way to schedule past 12/31 online). Lets see what they say in the PM

Last edited:
If you buy a Tesla on 12/31/23 without ordering ahead of this day, please post your experience.
my brother just fount an inventory model 3 performance...he has been looking for past dew days and things that show up get taken fast. But this morning he was able to put the order fee down and is going to pick it up now. He lives in VA and picking up in MD. He agrees he should not have waited til the last minute. Better inventory and pricing in early Dec.

So… my great deal is getting less great. Was scheduled to pick up the MYP tomorrow (Sunday 31st) and they just called to tell me the car hasn’t been built yet.

1. I asked what that means for the 6 months free super charging… They said it’s lost and they won’t grant any extensions.
2. I asked what that means for tax incentive in 2024…. They said they have no idea how the $7,500 rebate will work in 2024 and don’t guarantee any of their vehicles will qualify. But they assume the model Y will be fine.
3. They offered me alternative on the lot ready to pick up MYP with my specifications… first one was new + 2 hours away + $10k MORE (I don’t even know how it can go up that much) with no MSRP discounts. Second one was a demo model + 5 hours away + with 3,000 miles on it for $5k MORE…
4. I asked if the vehicle isn’t being built in 2023 if it would be a 2024 model year…. They said no, the line is still manufacturing 2023 model years into January 2024.

🤦🏼‍♂️😕

Ok. Tesla is either massively incompetent or outright bait and switch lying to make more money. After trying to get me to spend $10k more on a different car last night because my MYP hadn’t been built yet... They call me back at noon today to tell me the vehicle is on a truck and should be delivered on the local lot by 5pm for pickup. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I scheduled delivery for 6pm as they were doing late extended hours today… doing deliveries until 8pm. Over 50 people taking delivery of cars at 6pm when I got there. Was packed.

All worked out in the end. Happy to get 6 months of charging and a known process for the federal rebate for 2023. Just sketchy behavior by Tesla.

Reactions: wildguess
Ok. Tesla is either massively incompetent or outright bait and switch lying to make more money. After trying to get me to spend $10k more on a different car last night because my MYP hadn’t been built yet... They call me back at noon today to tell me the vehicle is on a truck and should be delivered on the local lot by 5pm for pickup. 🤷🏼‍♂️

I scheduled delivery for 6pm as they were doing late extended hours today… doing deliveries until 8pm. Over 50 people taking delivery of cars at 6pm when I got there. Was packed.

All worked out in the end. Happy to get 6 months of charging and a known process for the federal rebate for 2023. Just sketchy behavior by Tesla.

yep. they're working late tonight, just edited my order to remove inventory discount :(

my brother just fount an inventory model 3 performance...he has been looking for past dew days and things that show up get taken fast. But this morning he was able to put the order fee down and is going to pick it up now. He lives in VA and picking up in MD. He agrees he should not have waited til the last minute. Better inventory and pricing in early Dec.
He ended up getting a rwd in VA which his/our SA found for him on afternoon of the 31st (was his first choice) for 36k (before the fed tax credit and cybertruck discount!) he got grey with white interior. He was surprised no floor mats! (Think due to partial premium package…I’m like at that price you can buy some online!)

He ended up getting a rwd in VA which his/our SA found for him on afternoon of the 31st (was his first choice) for 36k (before the fed tax credit and cybertruck discount!) he got grey with white interior. He was surprised no floor mats! (Think due to partial premium package…I’m like at that price you can buy some online!)
Your brother is clearly mistaken. We learned upthread that it’s impossible to pick up a car the same day. Davelv said so. 👍🏻

They were probably sold out of inventory. Y RWD are back in stock now, but says not eligible for Federal Tax Credit. possibly the new 2024 RWD using LFP from China.
They weren't sold out, these are the same ones. 2023 Y RWD is not eligible for 2024 tax credit, they just had to update the website with the new language about not being eligible. 2024 Y RWD remains eligible, but there are none in inventory just yet.

Reactions: vickh
They weren't sold out, these are the same ones. 2023 Y RWD is not eligible for 2024 tax credit, they just had to update the website with the new language about not being eligible. 2024 Y RWD remains eligible, but there are none in inventory just yet.

I just looked at the inventory website again, and don't see a year associated with any of the inventory vehicles. How do you tell if they were the 2023 Y RWD or just rolled out of the factory Jan 2024?

I just looked at the inventory website again, and don't see a year associated with any of the inventory vehicles. How do you tell if they were the 2023 Y RWD or just rolled out of the factory Jan 2024?

Dunno if there is a way to tell looking at the website. If you look at the JSON response for the request it lists the model year. You can also check United States Tesla All inventory