Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion of maximum speed limits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Daniellane

The Tesla Guy
Supporting Member
Moderator note (bmah): The first fifteen posts in this thread came originally from the Model S / Software Update 2018.24.1 thread.

I have to assume the main addition with 2018.24 or 2018.24.1 is compatibility with the new speed limit mode feature in version 3.4.1 of the App
684F1D7B-AEFA-4A38-8DE2-5830364A91C6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to assume the main addition with 2018.24 or 2018.24.1 is compatibility with the new speed limit mode feature in version 3.4.1 of the App
We can hope everyone gets it soon, then. The four or whatever ‘testers’ on TeslaFi weren’t promising. But we’ve seen this before, no? Preheating last winter, perhaps, when the app said you need x and everyone didn’t get > x for quite some time....

So you're saying it's okay for teenagers to have unfettered access to the full power of a Tesla? When they're racing at excessive speeds on city streets, crashing and burning?

Of course the car doesn't kill people, that's quite obvious...

You'd be surprised what effective parenting does to make teenagers better able to make safer smarter decisions. I don't judge people so I'm glad that Tesla is giving parents tools as they know their kids best but I'm fairly sure not every teen is a maniac when given a Tesla.

Sure they all think they are invincible but some can set that notion aside because they're aware of life's consequences and costs.

So my point is that sometimes it is ok for kids to get an unrestricted car because they all aren't hell bent on killing themselves and everyone around them. Sometimes they just want to get from point A to B in electric style.

You'd be surprised what effective parenting does to make teenagers better able to make safer smarter decisions. I don't judge people so I'm glad that Tesla is giving parents tools as they know their kids best but I'm fairly sure not every teen is a maniac when given a Tesla.

Sure they all think they are invincible but some can set that notion aside because they're aware of life's consequences and costs.

So my point is that sometimes it is ok for kids to get an unrestricted car because they all aren't hell bent on killing themselves and everyone around them. Sometimes they just want to get from point A to B in electric style.

While I don't disagree with most of what you posted, and I'd certainly want a teen in as safe a car as a Tesla, there's a difference between a point A to B excursion in style, and doing so at a safer top speed and acceleration. Hopefully the parental limits extend to chill mode as well. This coming from a former responsible teen (or at least I like to believe I was at the time :)) who also was less so on those out of the way roads where all the other responsible teens gathered to test the limits of their cars. However, it never involved city streets as was the case in the recent FL crash and burn.

Effective parenting certainly can go a long way towards smarter and safer decisions, however there's nothing wrong with trust, but verify. ;)

Reactions: arcus
While I don't disagree with most of what you posted, and I'd certainly want a teen in as safe a car as a Tesla, there's a difference between a point A to B excursion in style, and doing so at a safer top speed and acceleration. Hopefully the parental limits extend to chill mode as well. This coming from a former responsible teen (or at least I like to believe I was at the time :)) who also was less so on those out of the way roads where all the other responsible teens gathered to test the limits of their cars. However, it never involved city streets as was the case in the recent FL crash and burn.

Effective parenting certainly can go a long way towards smarter and safer decisions, however there's nothing wrong with trust, but verify. ;)

I agree. You can monitor your car's use currently with the app. I'd probably watch like a hawk just to make sure. Luckily my kids aren't close enough to driving age for me to waste energy worrying. I definitely agree kid alone vs with friends is a key consideration.

So you're saying it's okay for teenagers to have unfettered access to the full power of a Tesla? When they're racing at excessive speeds on city streets, crashing and burning?

Of course the car doesn't kill people, that's quite obvious...
How will limiting the top speed help?
For example, if limited to 65 mph one can still accelerate recklesly, greatly exceed speed limits, and frustrate other drivers in a 70 mph zone.
I would not be inclined to lend the car until the young driver shows a decent level of maturity in all aspects of life. Of course, by then he/she will likely have their own car and rarely need to borrow one.
Remote control of maximum car speed might be useful in some extremely rare cases of car theft.
It seem to me that limiting the car to Chill mode would be more useful than limiting speed when lending the car.
Elon might be trying to prevent accidents and avoid law suits with the speed limit 'feature', but it seems to me that the better thing to do is to focus on enhancing AP. Never mind speed limiting controls.
I really appreciate the tremendous improvement since the beginning of AP2 and can hardly wait for the next substantial enhancement.

Reactions: croman
For example, if limited to 65 mph one can still accelerate recklesly, greatly exceed speed limits, and frustrate other drivers in a 70 mph zone.
I would not be inclined to lend the car until the young driver shows a decent level of maturity in all aspects of life. Of course, by then he/she will likely have their own car and rarely need to borrow one.
Remote control of maximum car speed might be useful in some extremely rare cases of car theft.
It seem to me that limiting the car to Chill mode would be more useful than limiting speed when lending the car.
Elon might be trying to prevent accidents and avoid law suits with the speed limit 'feature', but it seems to me that the better thing to do is to focus on enhancing AP. Never mind speed limiting controls.
I really appreciate the tremendous improvement since the beginning of AP2 and can hardly wait for the next substantial enhancement.

You can also set relative speed limits based off the speed limit database. But yes you can still do dangerous things regardless of limits set, but at least you can’t fly off an off ramp at 120mph anymore.

Reactions: Joe F
Not sure why you can not do both. Add minor changes like the Chill Mode and Speed Limit while doing the more complicated AP. I think the Speed should be tied to the speed limit like happens now on surface streets where AP only working at speed limit + 5 (the code seems to already be there). However, I would like to see that increased to speed limit +10 (with options in settings). Sometimes (not a lot) I have cars on my bumper when driving speed limit +5 on surface streets.

Do you think the parents of the teens in this post feel the same? I doubt they do, now.

This will be a useful feature, but adding a second metric - Power - would make sense too

We know such things are possible, as demonstrator cars can be set to mimic the power delivery of the entire range, provided you start with a P100D of course

I don’t have the update on the car yet, so please excuse my post if a form of this is in place already

They had already had Tesla apply a speed limit to their son's car. Would they have set it even lower? We don't know...
Was that ever confirmed by Tesla? I stopped following that thread after is became nothing more than speculation, and the speed limit info came from an aunt who also claimed the car doors couldn't be opened in the event of a power failure, so there's that, FWIW.

Helicopter parenting, bubble wrapping the world and controlling your kid's every move is a short term gain, long term loss. Eventually they kids find themselves free of their parents control and then they go wild not knowing what to do with that freedom. When I went to university, there was quiet a lot of drinking in the first week, lots of freshmen activities, etc. Then most students stopped the drinking after a week and got to studying. I knew a few that did not - not surprisingly they were all from strict parents who never let them drink before, always controlled their every move, so they felt drunk on their freedom - most failed out, all struggled. If you continue to keep your kid in a bubble and cushion all their failures, you are setting them up for failure in life. Sometimes it's better to let a kid get burned than to have the adult burn their own house down. In the old days you used to be able to buy a 7 year old a kit with some wood, a sized hammer and a saw (yes, real working tools, just smaller to fit kids hands), so they could build something and learn. Today such a kit would be considered a safety hazard and banned as a toy (imagine the social outrage it would get in the internet). I had one as a kid, as did some of my friends, and you know what, no kid even sawed his finger off or killed another with a hammer. Yes, some would kit themselves when hammering nails or nick themselves when cutting, but how stupid do you think the kid would have to be to keep sawing once the finger hurts? Nobody got maimed or seriously hurt, but kids grew up knowing how to use a tool, rather than call a handyman every time they need to hang a picture on a wall.

Reactions: arcus and croman