Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion of Numerical Punctuation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a metric system segment in math when I was in grade school in the early '60s.

We learned all these prefixes: milli, centi, deci, deka, hecta, kilo.

Yet 55 years later many of them are never used to my knowledge.

Millimeter, Centimeter, Decibel, Dekagram (just "Deka" in Austria), Hectare, Kilometer.

All commonly used. Might just need to travel some more :).

Reactions: arcus
Indidentally, this is one case where one ton and one megagram (1Mg) are both approximately similar measurements, and one of the rare cases where I think the Metric system isn't as bad as it is in other areas (temperature, length measurements, etc.). But, Metric being a piece of crap as always, I look it up and find out that "megagram" isn't supposed to be used, and instead, some inconsistent anti-math atrocity is mandated by the Metric System. Ok, so Metric sucks as always! Screw them. I extend the most benign of peace offerings to the Metric System, and it comes back and bites me like a rabid dog. Damn it to hell!

With all my respect Metric is way more math cinsisten than standard. It makes way more sense and the units are clear and easily convertible.

Just saying

An early draft of what became ISO-10589 (the Intermediate System-to-Intermediate System routeing protocol) specced all the timers in microfortnights. (It turns out a microfortnight is pretty close to a second, 1.2096 seconds to be precise.)
A nano-C (speed of light that is) is 1.08 km/h. Most speedometers are only required to be accurate to +/- 10%.

Reactions: Mike1080i and jgs