Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powershare [V2X feature currently announced for Cybertruck]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
dcbel has promised full V2X with both CHAdeMO and CCS connections (DC based) for several years, but continue to seemingly struggle with "certification" issues. Not sure they'll stay in business to provide a true vehicle based microgrid. SolarEdge is promising a similar AC coupled system.
Does it appear to you that Tesla can provide both on grid energy arbitrage with solar and off grid backup technically? Arbitrage use case is an issue that Tesla may not want to address, but may be forced to by legislation (California). Maybe I'm too optimistic.
Clearly Tesla has the technical capability to do both energy arbitrage and backup because they already do it with Powerwalls. The open question is how much of the system has to be certified with UL-like entities and with utilities for interconnection. When you have a DC coupled system, only the AC portion has to be certified - not the vehicle portion that is all DC. The Cybertruck has the AC inverter integrated so it seems to me that the certification process would be significantly more complicated. I think that the Cybertruck will be Backup-only for a while. If the owner already has Powerwalls, then they can use the Powerwall to do arbitrage and run down the battery more than normal and use the Cybertruck as a runtime extender when grid is down. The Cybertruck can be part of the Powerwall AC micro-grid because the grid is down and the Powerwall Gateway will disconnect the grid. I have Powerwalls and I never let the battery get low when there is a higher chance of a grid outage. If I had V2H on one of my vehicles, I would let the Powerwalls get much lower.

So, you can't power things from the truck bed outlet while charging? It's a very dumb design if true.
I was referring to Powershare running import and export simultaneously.
I hope the AC outlets work when AC charging, but that hasn't been stated anywhere that I am aware of and does require additional inverter modules. They definitely should work while Supercharging.

For homes without existing Powerwalls, the Powershare version of Gateway has an auto transformer in it to handle split phase and the Powershare Wall Connector has the extra smarts to kick the Gateway on.
The limitation is that Cybertruck as a export device would need an interconnection agreement with the utility plus UL certification for a grid tie inverter.
I don’t think you need export agreement if it never exports. Like a generator doesn’t.

Mobile connector will likely never be bidirectional because the blades would be energized at 240 V and one cold potentially be electrocuted when they are unplugged and exposed. Even thought it would be possible to de-energize with software, it would be a stretch to get it UL listed.
Thank you for saying this, Tesla is releasing a mobile connect now. :)
Saw it on electric Tesla leaks Powershare Mobile Connector

Powerwalls do not have an auto transformer, Tesla’s V2H will rely on the powerwall to effectively charge on one phase and output on the other to balance the load. So you probably will not want to totally discharge the powerwalls before connecting the truck. I’m really hoping that you can dump the truck into the house and powerwalls then go supercharge or plug into small or large generator to recharge, so you can rinse and repeat.
I got a 12Kw dual fuel with 400 lbs of propane, 2kw inverter Gas generator, and few battery generators (~6kwh of battery storage)
I think Tesla is going it right, make it all AC.

I hope the AC outlets work when AC charging, but that hasn't been stated anywhere that I am aware of and does require additional inverter modules. They definitely should work while Supercharging.
A YouTube video attempted to use the AC ports to charge a Tesla while the Cybertruck was being AC charged, but it didn't work. Don't know if AC outlets were disabled or just charging.

However, the Cybertruck could charge one through the 14-50 port and another through the 5-20 port at the same time, though they said it was slow. Wish they gave more details like amps through each.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
I would expect them to be disabled, otherwise the recepticals would need CT to reduce charging of truck to not overwhelm inlet.
If there are separate charger and user outlet power conversion modules, the inlet couldn't be overwhelmed, but in the worst case the battery wouldn't be charging.
Such a setup would be handy when camping with a 30A site outlet.

Reactions: MP3Mike
If there are separate charger and user outlet power conversion modules, the inlet couldn't be overwhelmed, but in the worst case the battery wouldn't be charging.
Such a setup would be handy when camping with a 30A site outlet.
My understanding is that the power conversion for the outlets comes from the on-board charger. So, if the outlets are going to work while the truck is charging, it has to steal AC power from the incoming power from the EVSE. Therefore, the battery charging has to be curtailed by the amount consumed from the outlets.

My understanding is that the power conversion for the outlets comes from the on-board charger. So, if the outlets are going to work while the truck is charging, it has to steal AC power from the incoming power from the EVSE. Therefore, the battery charging has to be curtailed by the amount consumed from the outlets.
Yeah ☹️
In which case the vehicle outlets can't really work since the charger would need to backfeed the AC if the load were more than the EVSE sourced and it's not set up for grid-tie...

It would have a socket adapter with unique ID pin value (like how it differentiates 15, 20, 30, 50 Amp and does temperature monitoring) to enable power output.
Sure. Still need to install Powerwall or gateway fot it to work though.

Who goes through all that trouble, but specifically decides to exclude a Wall Connector to instead connect their CT at the generator inlet via a Mobile connector? It's a stretch...