Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powerwall 3 [Speculation / Discussion etc]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for posting the pics.

In addition to the grounding wire, I suggest addressing that EMT (Electrical Metat Tubing, aka "conduit") coming in to the top. A proper offset will have the conduit coming in at a right angle. That is (or rather, should be), a liquid-tight fitting, which requires the plastic washer to be properly captured between the box and the color on the fitting. See the yellow washer on the left-side fitting for example.

That top one not only also looks ghetto, but it's not going to keep water out, and on top is the worst spot, as water will pool and run down inside...

I think the top EMT IS entering from the side. You just can’t see it due to the camera angle.

We need specs! Give us a pic of the PW label.

BTW, the ground wire isn’t ghetto IHMO, it’s fine.

If you saw the way the ground wire was routed along the front of the home and the walkway to the front door, you'd completely understand my ghetto comment.

Since my post seems to have just blown up in blogspace I'm going to hold back on posting more information or pictures, at least for now. The job needs to be completed first.

If you saw the way the ground wire was routed along the front of the home and the walkway to the front door, you'd completely understand my ghetto comment.

Since my post seems to have just blown up in blogspace I'm going to hold back on posting more information or pictures, at least for now. The job needs to be completed first.
LOL 😀 the whole world is waiting for you pics … I love how chilled you are. Not everybody would resist.

Reactions: RabidYak

Oh, I thought the ground wire was the MC cable running towards the left of the PW in your picture, which seems to hook up to a ground rod (that’s usually what’s in the double gang cover near the ground). But you mean a wire going to the right of the PW?

Oh, I thought the ground wire was the MC cable running towards the left of the PW in your picture, which seems to hook up to a ground rod (that’s usually what’s in the double gang cover near the ground). But you mean a wire going to the right of the PW?
Yeah, that's the wire. You can see the conduit run underneath the PW. It runs all the way out along the side yard, then along the front facade of the house up and above the front door and eventually all the way to the front of the house where it attaches to the main water line. It's ugly.

I was thinking online UPS, that would be a game changer.

PW2 has a switchover of up to 0.5 seconds in normal use.
Gotcha. True online dual conversion is extra circuity and cost that us rarely needed.
Rereading the tweet, I think he just meant that one unit could handle an entire house, versus needing two for startup/ max load support (or non-backed up sub panels, load dependant of course)
With higher power handling and faster inverter ramping, the system could be tuned such that the Gateway isolates sooner into a disturbance.
PW3 is optimized for ease of installation & high power, which means that a single Powerwall can serve as an uninterruptible power supply for most homes. This is a big deal for ensuring that the lights stay on and you can power all your devices in the event of a power outage.

Reactions: Jones1
Throwing you guys a bone. Side panel close-up:

Attachments

• IMG_0729-EDIT.jpg
    IMG_0729-EDIT.jpg
    948.8 KB · Views: 660
Throwing you guys a bone. Side panel close-up:
Appears as though you can vary output from 5.8 kVA to 11.5 kVA based on breaker/wiring size. I imagine those kVA numbers are the same as kW for all intents and purposes. Which goes along with Andy saying it was on a 60 amp breaker.

Weight is 287 lbs, which is in between Powerwall+ at 344 lbs and Powerwall 2 at 251 lbs.

Same 13.5 kWh as Powerwall 2 and Powerwall+, so it is basically just an improved version. Higher output power and likely LFP chemistry.

Appears as though you can vary output from 5.8 kVA to 11.5 kVA based on breaker/wiring size. I imagine those kVA numbers are the same as kW for all intents and purposes.

Weight is 287 lbs, which is in between Powerwall+ at 344 lbs and Powerwall 2 at 251 lbs.

Same 13.5 kWh as Powerwall 2 and Powerwall+, so it is basically just an improved version. Higher output power and likely LFP chemistry.
It would be pretty sweet if the weight was so similar if it had LFP chemistry.

I am not really sure but a quick google showed LFP is usually way less dense, by like 50%. It's possible they dropped weight in the case, and the internal components. I am impressed if its LFP, especially if it will have a good UL 9540A test result..

• Informative
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks