Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powerwall 3 [Speculation / Discussion etc]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LFP was one of expected characteristics of PW3.
PS visually PW2 looks much better ;)

I don't really care what the Powerwall looks like. It's a large box attached to the side wall of the house in a location where nobody will ever see it anyway. It's also accompanied by several other boxes (circuit relocation panel, cutoff switch, etc). What I care about is its long term reliability and the attention to detail of the installation itself (the ground wire...).

Please share pricing for PW3…thanks
I'd rather not share that level of detail. In the end, it doesn't really matter. You ask Tesla for a quote and they choose the equipment. AFAIK, it is not (yet?) possible for a customer to choose between PW2/PW+ and PW3. You get what you get, and if you don't like it, you can shop elsewhere.

I don't really care what the Powerwall looks like. It's a large box attached to the side wall of the house in a location where nobody will ever see it anyway. It's also accompanied by several other boxes (circuit relocation panel, cutoff switch, etc). What I care about is its long term reliability and the attention to detail of the installation itself (the ground wire...).
Not a case for me. Mine installed in backyard, and appearance matters, including illumination.
As for installation correctness, it’s relevant for both pw2 and pw3, or in other words it’s irrelevant;)

Reactions: h2ofun
Based on the specs and physical format it seems like these are gonna primarily go to larger solar installs spec’d with a single powerwall for the time being. The higher power output and input makes them more suitable for single-unit installs with >5kw PV arrays. They sure don’t look like they’re intended to be stacked in multiples the way PW2 is.

• Informative
Reactions: Optimeer and h2ofun
Just placed mine - will push for PW3

1694203268834.png

1694203294248.png

And if they don't offer PW3 for this install, you'll cancel & forfeit your deposit?
Negative. Your $100 deposit is entirely refundable until installation is scheduled.

It’ll take a couple months for them to get everything in order anyways, so I’m hoping by then they’ll have Powerwall 3 ready to go. We now have the PW3 part number also. If they don’t want to ball, I’ll just cancel the order and place another one in a couple more months. If I can get it done this tax year with PW3 that would be the ideal scenario. Otherwise, I’ll just wait till next year.

There are PW3 installs with pictures and the CEO of the company has tweeted about it, so it is now very difficult for Tesla reps to deny that this product even exists anymore. The plausible deniability factor for them is gone. It is a real product being installed currently. Whether it is available in my area or they give me the runaround or if I am unsuccessful is still TBD.

I am hoping Elon didn’t put his entire energy team in a bad spot by tweeting about it and that he knew what he was doing but that also remains to be seen 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD
Throwing you guys a bone. Side panel close-up:
Tag is confusing, seems like different inverter options. So is Bess output dependent on inverter installed? Charge limited to 5KW.

I’m sure batteries cells are CATL, prismatic. LFP likes to be charged to 100%, so that is a good thing. Still prefer cylindrical cells in metal can.

So now your money is going to China.

img_0729-edit-jpg.971993

Last edited:
Look at lower label, made in Sparks, NV…First wave of PW3 installs is for simpler projects, multi PW3 will be a little bit. Also take note of the black covering on both sides of unit. This is important for future announcements in quarter 4, possibly quarter 1 of 2024. Inverter built in, not separate stand alone inverter required. Capable of 11.5 discharge, potential that future versions can achieve 15.4…LFP battery inside, same cell chemistry and form factor as M3 SR in Shanghai…

Look at lower label, made in Sparks, NV…First wave of PW3 installs is for simpler projects, multi PW3 will be a little bit. Also take note of the black covering on both sides of unit. This is important for future announcements in quarter 4, possibly quarter 1 of 2024. Inverter built in, not separate stand alone inverter required. Capable of 11.5 discharge, potential that future versions can achieve 15.4…LFP battery inside, same cell chemistry and form factor as M3 SR in Shanghai…
Where are you getting this information from? Or is all of that speculation?

And what black covering? I don’t see anything but diecast aluminum.

Last edited:
Where are you getting this information from? Or is all of that speculation?

And what black covering? I don’t see anything but diecast aluminum.

There isnt much that the particular user you are quoting posts as speculation. Any information they choose to share, I am welcome for it, and @GigaGrunt its good to see you around.

I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't appear to have passed UL9540A.

Also, the label said that it is made in the USA. That means that it probably doesn't have LFP batteries. LFP batteries are currently only made in China. For something to be labeled "Made in the USA," virtually all of the significant parts must be of U.S. origin.

The owners manual listed on the FCC site lists the Powerwall 3 as the Powerwall ++. There isn't a lot of into in the manual, but it appears that the Tesla logo may light up.

Attachments

• Host-Label-Info-6371957.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 141
  • Powerwall 3 Manual.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 235
Last edited: