Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: Powerwall 3 [Speculation / Discussion etc]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given we know the PW3 is DC-coupled, is there any reason why it couldn't be as easy as just plugging it in? Of course, the vehicle software would need to support it, but as far as I know, there's no reason why a vehicle battery couldn't act as the DC source for the PW3.
DC-DC doesn’t make it easier. If you hook two DC batteries directly together, they would just match voltage potential as fast as they could.

I had my site assessment yesterday. The Tesla Energy employee noted that PW3 won't be available until sometime next year and that he could put in the notes that I want PW3 and I could wait for it. However, we both agreed PW3 likely won't be available until 2H 2024 and that they will start with single PW3 installations first before doing multiple unit installations. He said most of the PW3 installations he's seen in NC/SC are for employees but of course there are trial runs being done for normal customer installs as well.

Couple things that people may or may not already know that I learned is it is a "few thousand" extra to have the Powerwalls installed in your garage vs. outside, $500 to have the conduit painted by Tesla, and a "few thousand" for hidden conduit. This will obviously vary by area and type of install, but made my decision easier to have the Powerwalls on the exterior garage wall. Pros and cons though as during the summer the outside wall will be cooler than in the garage (east facing exterior wall) but in the winter it will be much colder outside.

He also said he is very confident my install will be around mid-November and for sure by the end of the year, which I found to be a bit shocking. I wanted to see if it could be done by EOY so I could file it with my taxes ASAP. He said 3-5 weeks to install is very normal across NC/SC so I guess it does vary greatly based on region.

I had my site assessment yesterday. The Tesla Energy employee noted that PW3 won't be available until sometime next year and that he could put in the notes that I want PW3 and I could wait for it. However, we both agreed PW3 likely won't be available until 2H 2024 and that they will start with single PW3 installations first before doing multiple unit installations. He said most of the PW3 installations he's seen in NC/SC are for employees but of course there are trial runs being done for normal customer installs as well.

Couple things that people may or may not already know that I learned is it is a "few thousand" extra to have the Powerwalls installed in your garage vs. outside, $500 to have the conduit painted by Tesla, and a "few thousand" for hidden conduit. This will obviously vary by area and type of install, but made my decision easier to have the Powerwalls on the exterior garage wall. Pros and cons though as during the summer the outside wall will be cooler than in the garage (east facing exterior wall) but in the winter it will be much colder outside.

He also said he is very confident my install will be around mid-November and for sure by the end of the year, which I found to be a bit shocking. I wanted to see if it could be done by EOY so I could file it with my taxes ASAP. He said 3-5 weeks to install is very normal across NC/SC so I guess it does vary greatly based on region.
Yeah, when I was agreeing to the design, there were options to choose PowerWall location and different pricing associated with the location.

• Informative
Reactions: RabidYak

Powerwall installation is cheaper. Closest to your meter and circuit breaker. If you want it further away. It will cost more. For wire and conduit. They look for the easiest quickest installation process for them.

It sucks that PW+ and PW3’s can’t be used together.

Powerwall installation is cheaper. Closest to your meter and circuit breaker. If you want it further away. It will cost more. For wire and conduit. They look for the easiest quickest installation process for them.

It sucks that PW+ and PW3’s can’t be used together.
For me the only difference between inside garage and outside is having to go through the wall. The meter, panel box, etc. is all at the same spot - just inside vs outside Powerwall mounting.

The conduit painting is free (at least the $500 was waived before), if you lived in an HOA where it was required.
Install of inside garage vs. outside should be identical, unless going inside requires a lot longer conduit runs... then yea, extra materials and labor ain't free.

Reactions: Jones1
The conduit painting is free (at least the $500 was waived before), if you lived in an HOA where it was required.
Install of inside garage vs. outside should be identical, unless going inside requires a lot longer conduit runs... then yea, extra materials and labor ain't free.
Garage interior has additional impact protection and heat detector requirements. It is reasonable to ask for more to do these kinds of installations.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Painting was free for me too. You supply the paint and ask at time of install.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
I opted to pay Tesla for a conduit run through my attic. Cost an extra $1200 to move the install of my batteries from the west facing side of my house to the inside of my north facing garage, about 40 feet away. I have not regretted that decision one bit. Since my garage is semi-cooled by a heat pump water heater (keeps it at or below 84 degrees), it will probably add a year or two of life to the units contrasted with being outside in the Florida humidity, heat and elements. Not to mention the flashing green 'look at me' beacon at night.

Yep, no HOA for me.

Inside the garage requires drilling through wall and bringing all wiring inside vs just leaving outside where conduit run already is.

Last edited:
Painting was free for me too. You supply the paint and ask at time of install.
I will try this option but one thing the Tesla employee noted is they usually wait until after inspection to paint as some AHJ's don't approve of it being painted for some reason. He recommended this "2X" spray paint below:

Last edited:
Reactions: Jones1 and brkaus
I opted to pay Tesla for a conduit run through my attic. Cost an extra $1200 to move the install of my batteries from the west facing side of my house to the inside of my north facing garage, about 40 feet away. I have not regretted that decision one bit. Since my garage is semi-cooled by a heat pump water heater (keeps it at or below 84 degrees), it will probably add a year or two of life to the units contrasted with being outside in the Florida humidity, heat and elements. Not to mention the flashing green 'look at me' beacon at night.
For me it's either in the garage or outside the garage but on the same wall, just interior vs exterior. The good news is that wall is east facing with some trees, so it won't get cooked by the afternoon sun like on a west facing wall. If my exterior wall was west facing, I would definitely consider paying extra for some interior work.

Reactions: Matt-FL
Installation update: After about a week of no activity, Tesla returned to our home to finish the job. The system is now up and running, although not yet feeding back into the grid pending final approval from SCE. The good news is we passed inspection with the city, and even better, the city inspector agreed to let us ground the system at a garden hose pipe just a few feet away rather than continue to rely on the ugly conduit run all the way to the front of the house. Tesla said they'd do this for us but I think we'll need to continue bothering them until it gets done.
View attachment 977892View attachment 977893

View attachment 977895View attachment 977894

Update #2: Got PTO from the utility (SCE) so we're finally exporting to the grid. Right now it's generating about 25 kWh on a sunny day - seems pretty decent considering we're well past the autumn equinox (it's a 16 panel/6.4 kW system). SCE put us on the TOU-D-4-9PM plan but I'm wondering if we should switch to TOU-D-PRIME...?

Update #2: Got PTO from the utility (SCE) so we're finally exporting to the grid. Right now it's generating about 25 kWh on a sunny day - seems pretty decent considering we're well past the autumn equinox (it's a 16 panel/6.4 kW system). SCE put us on the TOU-D-4-9PM plan but I'm wondering if we should switch to TOU-D-PRIME...?
Did you provide the spray paint to the installers for the conduit to match your house?