Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: "Powerwall +"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is definitely a comm wire(s) between a Powerwall+ and Backup Gateway 2, I remember my Powerwall install crew showing me it inside the inverter/controller (above the PW+).

I disconnected my home from my utility service and closed my disconnect which as I understand it effectively turns on my Backup Gateway 2 which will let the solar and Powerwalls operate. I saw in my Tesla app that my grid was down (outage) and it showed I was in Backup mode. I saw the state of charge of my Powerwalls Which it appears to just show the total SOC; I think the installers explained that part to me. Everything powered in my home was working including AC, which was nice to see. It was the middle of the day with plenty of sunshine. After several minutes, I saw solar production in the app very briefly and then it went away. My Backup Gateway 2 was not broadcasting its SSID. I tried connecting to its SSID anyway and could not connect. All breakers in the gateway were closed/on as they had been since my install day. After 15 minutes of not seeing any real solar production, I opened the PV/ESS disconnect and closed my utility disconnect.

I don’t know why the gateway isn’t broadcasting its SSID. Maybe once it is setup with a Powerwall(+) it cannot be directly interfaced with? It was definitely connected to my network at one point while the installers were doing the initial commissioning, but again they ran into issues and after talking with their tech support they connected the PW+’s inverter/controller to my home network instead.

I also don’t know why I wasn’t having any solar production. I thought I read that the inverter does a test every X minutes to see if solar is able to produce, and then it will turn it on.
Currently without PTO, hasnt been submitted by Tesla, my system solar is generating and providing power to my home during the day and feeding the grid. The Powerwalls are in Standby and are not charging or discharging. The numbers from the Powerwall API do not appear to be very accurate but my smart meter is showing that I'm putting power on the grid vs using power.

Tesla Powerwall API Readings (Last 24 hours)
1625160651559.png

SmartMeter Readings (Last 24 hours)
1625160705689.png

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
Currently without PTO, hasnt been submitted by Tesla, my system solar is generating and providing power to my home during the day and feeding the grid. The Powerwalls are in Standby and are not charging or discharging. The numbers from the Powerwall API do not appear to be very accurate but my smart meter is showing that I'm putting power on the grid vs using power.

Tesla Powerwall API Readings (Last 24 hours)
View attachment 680263

SmartMeter Readings (Last 24 hours)
View attachment 680264

Very strange that they left it operational like that based on what I was told during my order and install process. Are you polling the API yourself and displaying in Grafana? Looks like TeslaMate (I use it for logging my Model 3’s data). I’ve seen some interesting stuff on GitHub about the Powerwall API but hadn’t come across something as polished as TeslaMate yet. I figured I’d write something myself once my system is operational, if I don’t find something like TeslaMate (probably just fork it actually).

Now I’m wondering if there’s something on Tesla’s end that they have to do once I get PTO in order for my system to be fully operational. The install crew told me that all I had to do was close my disconnect next to my gateway, and in theory I could open my grid service disconnect and then close my gateway disconnect and run off-grid. I asked if I could do just that, if we have a storm before I get PTO, and well there is a storm incoming next week! At least I know I can use the 45% SOC of my Powerwalls if needed.

• Informative
Very strange that they left it operational like that based on what I was told during my order and install process. Are you polling the API yourself and displaying in Grafana? Looks like TeslaMate (I use it for logging my Model 3’s data). I’ve seen some interesting stuff on GitHub about the Powerwall API but hadn’t come across something as polished as TeslaMate yet. I figured I’d write something myself once my system is operational, if I don’t find something like TeslaMate (probably just fork it actually).

Now I’m wondering if there’s something on Tesla’s end that they have to do once I get PTO in order for my system to be fully operational. The install crew told me that all I had to do was close my disconnect next to my gateway, and in theory I could open my grid service disconnect and then close my gateway disconnect and run off-grid. I asked if I could do just that, if we have a storm before I get PTO, and well there is a storm incoming next week! At least I know I can use the 45% SOC of my Powerwalls if needed.
I agree it is strange. I was told to leave it alone and to not touch any breakers as they are troubleshooting it remotely and need it on to test it. I build a python script that polls the data every 5 seconds and sends to influxdb and then displaying it in grafana. Maybe we should make something together if something nice doesnt already exist.

I believe Tesla has an enable they hit once you have PTO to enable all parts of the system. I was told to not trust the app readings until after PTO, so maybe it is running in a limp mode?

Careful, you may not be granted PTO or other penalties for sending power back to the grid before PTO.
I share the concern and called Tesla and text the Tesla installers to have something in writing. They told me to not trust the readings and leave it alone as they are troubleshooting it with the engineering team remotely. I explained that my smart meter was reading energy going back on the grid and they told me to not worry about it and leave it alone until they tell me otherwise.

I'm going to be pretty pissed off if they left it in a state, told me not to change it and then get my PTO denied, have it hurt someone working on the lines or even a utility fee.

I'm on my 3rd Project Advisor and I'm waiting almost 2 weeks now for a phone call or email back to my latest round of questions/comments to them.

• Informative
I agree it is strange. I was told to leave it alone and to not touch any breakers as they are troubleshooting it remotely and need it on to test it. I build a python script that polls the data every 5 seconds and sends to influxdb and then displaying it in grafana. Maybe we should make something together if something nice doesnt already exist.

I believe Tesla has an enable they hit once you have PTO to enable all parts of the system. I was told to not trust the app readings until after PTO, so maybe it is running in a limp mode?

I’m interested in hearing what happens with your system once they fix it and you get PTO.

I’m also wondering if Tesla does something on their end once they get PTO in order for the system to be operational. I was playing around with the API once I figured out I could reach it over my network (the Powerwall+ inverter/controller, I’m still confused over the terminology because sometimes it is referred to as a gateway). I noticed the following from a GET call to /api/powerwalls/status/
  • “grid_qualifying" : false
  • "grid_code_validating" : false
I’m definitely interested in building an app if something suitable doesn’t exist. Personally I think it would be cool to have the data within TeslaMate, hence why I was thinking I could fork it and see if adriankumpf - Overview is interested in pulling it. I likely won’t be motivated enough to work on it until my system is up and running so I can play around with it more. How should we coordinate this? Set up a slack/discord/teams or something?

Good luck with your system!

I’m interested in hearing what happens with your system once they fix it and you get PTO.

I’m also wondering if Tesla does something on their end once they get PTO in order for the system to be operational. I was playing around with the API once I figured out I could reach it over my network (the Powerwall+ inverter/controller, I’m still confused over the terminology because sometimes it is referred to as a gateway). I noticed the following from a GET call to /api/powerwalls/status/
  • “grid_qualifying" : false
  • "grid_code_validating" : false
I’m definitely interested in building an app if something suitable doesn’t exist. Personally I think it would be cool to have the data within TeslaMate, hence why I was thinking I could fork it and see if adriankumpf - Overview is interested in pulling it. I likely won’t be motivated enough to work on it until my system is up and running so I can play around with it more. How should we coordinate this? Set up a slack/discord/teams or something?

Good luck with your system!
I'll message you once I get PTO!

I'm also in DFW. I ordered a system with four batteries through a third-party installer. I had the first two installed in April 2021 and am scheduled to receive the remaining two in August (fingers crossed). My first two batteries were also manufactured around November 2020 and are the 3012170 version. Nothing special about my installation as far as I can tell.
Hi @SolarGardener, what company did you use for your solar?

Anything about the proper way to configure a Powerwall+ and a Backup Gateway 2? Per the first link below, it states the Backup Gateway 2 can connect via WiFi or Ethernet but I do not see how in my Gateway based on the picture.

I've found these webpages:

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/powerwall/Tesla_Backup_Gateway_2_Datasheet_EN-NA.pdf

System Design | Powerwall Support

How Powerwall Works | Powerwall Support

It makes sense that the Powerwalls would need to communicate to the Backup Gateway 2 as it determines where the power sources are coming from to feed your load center/house. I guess what doesnt make sense to me is the Backup Gateway being connected to a WiFi network. There appeared to be a 4 port communication bus inside the Backup Gateway that is communicating to my lead Powerwall.

Picture of my Backup Gateway 2 during the install:
View attachment 680074
In the upper right of your picture is a rj45 connector, just to the left of the 4 communication terminal blocks. Connect your ethernet cable to that. The gw2 defaults to DHCP and will ask for an ip addr from your home lan/router. The gw2 will still stay also connected via wifi, and cellular. So you will see 2 router DHCP client entries for this device. I havent yet found a way to disable the wifi client or the "teg-xxxx" AP it broadcasts. BTW, I never saw any indication in my install of the Powerwall having a LAN or WLAN network connection. I have powerwall+ models, 3012170. Another ip connection might show if you have Neo (a little black box Tesla also calls gateway, which is zigbee bridge to the PV inverter ). Gw2 is a power panel, has a shutoff from grid in it, power flow sensors (house use grid, solar output, Powerwall flow) , and a computer to send all the data to Tesla (which is in turn then where the mobile app talks to, not via your loacl devices) . As far as I can tell GW2 is the central place Tesla uses to control powerwall, backup modes, etc. Power wall can be told to force pv array to turn off by increasing its output frequency to about 65 or 66 hz. The inverters inside the Powerwalls' can largely be disregarded except for this issue. A different Inverter device entirely is responsible for converting dc from your pv array. Tesla couple every thing via ac.

Last edited:
Reactions: kairojya
On the 25th they installed (kind of) my 2 Powerwalls - a Powerwall 2.1 by itself, and a Powerwall 2.5 with the associated Inverter stacked over it. Except for the small white label, the specs listed on the main labels are the same. The Powerwall 2.5 has an extra label for the inverter that says it's a Powerwall+ .
Can you elaborate on the "associated inverter" pls? Did they install the new telsa inverter instead of e. G. SolarEdge or Delta? Maybe post a picture. And what is the model number of the PW, e. G. The "TPN" rather than the top label showing 2.1, etc.

Can you elaborate on the "associated inverter" pls? Did they install the new telsa inverter instead of e. G. SolarEdge or Delta? Maybe post a picture. And what is the model number of the PW, e. G. The "TPN" rather than the top label showing 2.1, etc.
Sure can. The first picture (4568) is the full setup in my garage with 36" spacing as per NYS requirements. The next picture (4593) is of the separate Powerwall 2.1. The next 2 pictures are both labels on the Powerwall 2.5 under the inverter (4595 & 4594) - no label on the stacked inverter.
IMG_4568.JPG
IMG_4593.JPG
IMG_4594.JPG
IMG_4595.JPG

I'm ordering 16.32 KW panels and 4 PW but no way to specify PW+. The advisor said my system is too big for PW+. They have only tested PW+ for the 8.16 KW system. Apparently that's not very true. Someone on this thread said they have 12.24 KW with 2 PW+. Can anyone comment on this issue?

I'm ordering 16.32 KW panels and 4 PW but no way to specify PW+. The advisor said my system is too big for PW+. They have only tested PW+ for the 8.16 KW system. Apparently that's not very true. Someone on this thread said they have 12.24 KW with 2 PW+. Can anyone comment on this issue?
I have a 12.24 kW system with 2 Powerwall+ units

They haven't been paired or configured correctly since install last month but I received a text saying 1 of them needs service and Tesla phone support said it was a low coolant alarm. Not super impressed with Tesla's customer support or their products. I believe my install/system isnt typical but it really makes you mad to spend so much money and have then **** up at every step of the way. Currently waiting for a call back from them to schedule a service call for the low coolant and waiting for a call back from Tier 2 support about reporting/pairing issues with my Powerwall+ units. I call every other day since they have not once called me as they stated they would.

• Informative