Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion: "Powerwall +"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I had a Tesla employee from the Quality Assurance team perform a Quality Audit of my Tesla Solar and Powerwall+ install. My install was last month (6/24). My inspection passed within days of install but I’m waiting for PTO. I have an open issue with the install/maintenance team, but I think this quality audit is unrelated. The auditor was knowledgeable and was not phased by my unrelenting questioning. Here’s what I found out.
  1. The reason my Backup Gateway 2 is not broadcasting its SSID is because the inverter (Powerwall+) is configured to be the ”leader” with my kind of installation. This is why I have been unable to connect to my Gateway, as I’ve posted about in a few different places.

2. I asked his opinion on whether I should bother with running Ethernet to either my inverter (in my garage) or the Gateway (Backup Gateway 2)(outside by my meter). He said to wait a bit because he learned in a recent training that an upcoming firmware update is going to disable the controller in the Powerwall+ inverter, and change these types of installations to use the controller in the Backup Gateway 2, making it the leader. Meaning that it won’t do me any good to run Ethernet to my Powerwal+ inverter in my garage, and I should consider running Ethernet to my Gateway which is outside once this firmware is confirmed and rolled out.

Last edited:
Today I had a Tesla employee from the Quality Assurance team perform a Quality Audit of my Tesla Solar and Powerwall+ install. My install was last month (6/24). My inspection passed within days of install but I’m waiting for PTO. I have an open issue with the install/maintenance team, but I think this quality audit is unrelated. The auditor was knowledgeable and was not phased by my unrelenting questioning. Here’s what I found out.
  1. The reason my Backup Gateway 2 is not broadcasting its SSID is because the inverter (Powerwall+) is configured to be the ”leader” with my kind of installation. This is why I have been unable to connect to my Gateway, as I’ve posted about in a few different places.

2. I asked his opinion on whether I should bother with running Ethernet to either my inverter (in my garage) or the Gateway (Backup Gateway 2)(outside by my meter). He said to wait a bit because he learned in a recent training that an upcoming firmware update is going to disable the controller in the Powerwall+ inverter, and change these types of installations to use the controller in the Backup Gateway 2, making it the leader. Meaning that it won’t do me any good to run Ethernet to my Powerwal+ inverter in my garage, and I should consider running Ethernet to my Gateway which is outside once this firmware is confirmed and rolled out.
Did he/she confirm when this firmware will be released?

Interesting,
I have same system and both inverters are not working currently. Tesla claims it will be a firmware update to fix the issue. Trouble is the Powerwalls are discharging about 5% each day and are now down to 10%. I hope they get it sorted out as they are doing the final inspection Monday.
They are returning today (friday) to do additional troubleshooting and to ensure the wiring is correct.

Will keep everyone updated.

Interesting. I have Cat6 throughout the house and asked Tesla if they needed / wanted drops for any of the equipment. They told me that Ethernet is no longer supported and that they would use Wi-Fi only.

Interesting. I have Cat6 throughout the house and asked Tesla if they needed / wanted drops for any of the equipment. They told me that Ethernet is no longer supported and that they would use Wi-Fi only.
They gave bad info, I ran ethernet to each of my powerwall + when the tech was doing the install and thats how i connected. When you log on using the IP and go into connection i can see the Ethernet IP and my WifI network connected, also i saw the Cellular IP.

Since the Powerwall+ is fairly new, not all the techs are completely familiar with it so you get different info.

I can see something being “no longer supported” but still working. Happens all the time in tech when a mfg no longer wants to spend time and resources in maintaining something officially through development and full qa etc.

That being said, my guess is that the installers said it wasn’t supported just so they could take the easiest route with WiFi.

I can see something being “no longer supported” but still working. Happens all the time in tech when a mfg no longer wants to spend time and resources in maintaining something officially through development and full qa etc.

That being said, my guess is that the installers said it wasn’t supported just so they could take the easiest route with WiFi.
I agree, they were telling me Wifi was more reliable. I laughed and told them I am using ethernet and provided them with the pre-run ethernet cables I ran prior.

They gave bad info, I ran ethernet to each of my powerwall + when the tech was doing the install and thats how i connected. When you log on using the IP and go into connection i can see the Ethernet IP and my WifI network connected, also i saw the Cellular IP.

Since the Powerwall+ is fairly new, not all the techs are completely familiar with it so you get different info.
Do you have the meter collar adapter disconnect switch as well?

Do you have the meter collar adapter disconnect switch as well?
Tesla refers to that as the "Backup Switch," as opposed to the "Backup Gateway."
BACKUP-GATEWAY2.jpg

My v1 GW updated last night, 21.20.2 to 21.20.6. I will say that 21.20.2 is the most stable release I've seen in a while as far as the local REST API goes, since the auth requirements for the local API started my local logging kept dropping-out every few days and I'd have to kick my script, that didn't happen at all with 21.20.2. Hoping that stability will remain. Though when the GW reboots I always lose it and have to kick my script (that's how I figured out it updated last night), I need to make my script detect this on its own and kick itself, as well as set up a monitor that messages me when the database stops getting updates for more than a few minutes as a backup.