Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY HID install. step by step instructions with pix.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that's a little bit of a strawman, those letters reference a MFG seeking approval for their kit or design, and the nhtsa dispelling the "DOT" stamp myth. This kit is providing the means to ignite an HID bulb, if you purchase a bulb that is nhtsa compliant and DOT approved (OEM supplied perhaps?), then what makes that illegal... infact they state in the letter that, as long as it meets 108's guidelines, they cannot comment on it further.

The original bulb + reflector + vehicle was an approved system based on the OEM or lighting supplier performing the FMVSS required testing for illumination/ color/ beam pattern. Once a different type of bulb is installed, that original testing/ certification is not valid. One could take an aftermarket bulb kit, install it, and then perform the required testing. If it passed, then that would be a legal bulb + reflector + vehicle combination. Until then, it is not. As it is, the system would be the new HID bulb and reflector wherein the reflector happens to be the same as the stock one.

Poor analogy: A taillight uses a red bulb, the bulb is DOT approved as a red tail light bulb. I mount that bulb in my front turn signal/ park lamp. That is not an FMVSS compliant installation.

• Informative
Reactions: demundus