Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Increasing System Capacity under NEM 1.0 without re applying for PTO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I had a 6.5kW system installed in 2015 under a net-metering agreement with SCE that specifies a "nameplate rating" 7.2kW generating facility producing an average of 1037kWh per month. I am only generating an average of 720kWh per month and I am using about 1000kWh per month. I would like to add panels so that I am generating closer to the 1000kWh I am using. I would plan to install panels with microinverters on a new breaker so that I am not tampering with the current system in any way. I can see that most of the options I have if I go through a solar provider involve re-signing with SCE, having a bunch of inspections, etc, all of which I'd like to avoid if possible.

I have adequate south-facing roof space and a fair amount of electrical experience. Is it realistic for me to DIY install a few more panels without going through the bigger painstaking process?

thanks to everyone for their guidance and advice.

Hello,

I had a 6.5kW system installed in 2015 under a net-metering agreement with SCE that specifies a "nameplate rating" 7.2kW generating facility producing an average of 1037kWh per month. I am only generating an average of 720kWh per month and I am using about 1000kWh per month. I would like to add panels so that I am generating closer to the 1000kWh I am using. I would plan to install panels with microinverters on a new breaker so that I am not tampering with the current system in any way. I can see that most of the options I have if I go through a solar provider involve re-signing with SCE, having a bunch of inspections, etc, all of which I'd like to avoid if possible.

I have adequate south-facing roof space and a fair amount of electrical experience. Is it realistic for me to DIY install a few more panels without going through the bigger painstaking process?

thanks to everyone for their guidance and advice.
Adding more generation requires a new PTO with SCE. You can't just add more generation, and under your current NEM 1.0 agreement, you can't add more than 10% or 1kW of solar without a new agreement. Further, you need to determine if your wiring, panel, and service can accommodate the additional generation, which is why all this work must be permitted and approved by your AHJ and SCE.

Short answer: No, you cannot legally do what you are asking.

Reactions: Vines