Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Installing CCS Retrofit in My US 2017 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the version of Toolbox 3 we can pay for doesn't allow configuration change. And that's my biggest concern around the CCS retrofit and any other changes to the car in the future. We should be able to change car configuration without having to root in my opinion. They are our property, not Tesla's.
100% agree!
Unfortunately Tesla thinks like Apple lol. They decide what u can have access to...
Reason i love Android :)
Thank God for smart ppl that can root n enable things for us!

Update: Someome is nice enough to help me change the gateway config plcadaptertype using Toolbox 2. It's an easy process and additional car info shows "CCS Support" as enabled. I will re-install the retofit and do a software update to see if this time it works
hey now !!! looking for someone who can help me with gateway configuration
did you found a company or privately? because I'm having trouble finding anyone
I'm in Chicago area if anyone can help me out let me know please

Anyone know whats\’s involved to get CCS going on this 2019 Model X?

Attachments

• 5AD673E7-8656-4B53-889E-3CB91BDE7DB3.jpeg
    5AD673E7-8656-4B53-889E-3CB91BDE7DB3.jpeg
    717.3 KB · Views: 258
We do retrofit US spec cars here, and they are working just fine with provided EU kits

We do retrofit US spec cars here, and they are working just fine with provided EU kits
It means you will need to convert to european charge port and then retrofit? i have a model us model x and im not sure what do i need to change from us charge port to type2/ccs charge port.

It means you will need to convert to european charge port and then retrofit? i have a model us model x and im not sure what do i need to change from us charge port to type2/ccs charge port.
You don’t need to change the charging port. That would be a huge headache: you’d have to replace the port, the HV wiring and the main charger, and most likely you would spill a lot of coolant in the process. The worst part is that the EU port DOES NOT FIT in the rear quarter panel (the EU quarter panel is different, it has a large hole to accommodate the port), so you would need to take care of that too.

Fortunately, you just buy an adapter and you are good to go. I was buying from evhub.shop, but there are other options out there.

Reactions: brainhouston
Gonna cross post here as well to confirm the retrofit works.
finally had a chance to use CCS n adapter from Korea
for reference, 2016.9 MX 90D (in case my signature will change later :) )
SOC: 18-60%, no pre-conditioning of any sort.

1666375672936.png

1666375823385.png

ended with about 70kW at 60%

Reactions: FeeYe
I have the CCS combo 1 adapter, but as expected it doesn't work yet on our Model X.
When I tried it the car just said charge port open.
I've heard it might be possible to make it work on my own but maybe I can have Tesla do it in January that's what the app seems to suggest.
If the car does not say CCS Charging Enabled on the features panel on the main screen in the car, it will require a new Charge Port Controller, which is a pay for add-on. I don't think pricing has been announced. I don't think it is possible for DIY

• Disagree
If the car does not say CCS Charging Enabled on the features panel on the main screen in the car, it will require a new Charge Port Controller, which is a pay for add-on. I don't think pricing has been announced. I don't think it is possible for DIY
I just did the retrofit by myself in this post.... It requires someone with toolbox 2 access to help change the gateway config

I just did the retrofit by myself in this post.... It requires someone with toolbox 2 access to help change the gateway config
Is there anyone on here that has contact info for people in California (Los Angeles or other cities) that have the ability to make the configuration changes in person? I have a couple of people asking me for contacts in California, but I cant help them as I live in Florida. I have a good contact for remote updates to the config files, but these people would like to have someone show up and do it in person. Any help you can provide would be appreciated!

Reactions: GasNah
Gonna cross post here as well to confirm the retrofit works.
finally had a chance to use CCS n adapter from Korea
for reference, 2016.9 MX 90D (in case my signature will change later :) )
SOC: 18-60%, no pre-conditioning of any sort.

1666375672936.png

1666375823385.png

ended with about 70kW at 60%
Just to confirm, you have a Model X 90D with a rebuilt title which cannot supercharge, but with the retrofit adapter you were able to DC fast charge on CCS1? Elsewhere some have said that DC fast charging and supercharging were tied together on the model X, but this would confirm that they are not unless I'm missing something.

Just to confirm, you have a Model X 90D with a rebuilt title which cannot supercharge, but with the retrofit adapter you were able to DC fast charge on CCS1? Elsewhere some have said that DC fast charging and supercharging were tied together on the model X, but this would confirm that they are not unless I'm missing something.
i actually can supercharge too but the settings are diff in Gateway, i installed retrofit myself n had it enabled same time the car got rooted.
i believe u can have DC fast enabled without SC but why?.. both settings require access to gateway
idk if tesla will retrofit CCS with SC disabled, my guess would be no...