Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY Tire Rotation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was taught correct rotation is DF > PR, PF > DR, DR > DF, PR > PF.
Hard to do with 2 jacks or stands. Takes extra step.

It really doesn't matter unless you have tire that dictate a particular rotation pattern. There is no advantage otherwise. The criss-cross rotation pattern was really developed for when there was a spare tire in rotation.

I was taught correct rotation is DF > PR, PF > DR, DR > DF, PR > PF.
Hard to do with 2 jacks or stands. Takes extra step.

After checking with the service center I learned that the correct rotation of tires is as above if you have the same front and back tire width. Cross the fronts to the rears. Rears to same side on front. I have a P85 (not a plus) and have done rotations every 3000 miles with even wear. Probably will get 15-16k miles out of the original Conti's that came with the car. Anyway, in order to do this efficiently, you need 4 jacks or jackstands. Otherwise there is an additional step to cross the rears after going front to back.

After checking with the service center I learned that the correct rotation of tires is as above if you have the same front and back tire width. Cross the fronts to the rears. Rears to same side on front. I have a P85 (not a plus) and have done rotations every 3000 miles with even wear. Probably will get 15-16k miles out of the original Conti's that came with the car. Anyway, in order to do this efficiently, you need 4 jacks or jackstands. Otherwise there is an additional step to cross the rears after going front to back.

Honest, it really doesn't buy you anything. It doesn't hurt, but there are no advantages unless the tires dictate you do it one particular way.

Regarding the rotation pattern, this is from page 95 of the manual:

tire-rotation.png

Pilot_51:
Hey those Jackpot Jackstands are really nice. Do the TESLA jacking points on the car easily accommodate the nipple end of the puck?
I was never aware of those stands. For tire rotation they seem do do the job well.
Yes, it fits very easily from my experience. I should note that I lined it up visually, with my head down so I could see the lift point hole as I moved the jack into position and lifted the pad.

From the Where to put jack stands on Model S? thread:
Here's some more info that I've gathered on these jackstands.

You can see the Tesla jack point is small, and the battery pack protrudes lower to the ground just a few mm beyond the jack point (indicated in the following diagram at the top). The wider yellow circle is the size of the jackpointjackstand's central riser, and within it, the smaller orange circle represents the metal pin that seats in the middle of the riser to prevent the car from slipping off the stands:

View attachment 38173

Here's a picture of the needed STANDARD profile jackpointjackstand plate:

View attachment 38174
that black rubber surface is what contacts the MS jackpoint, and the metal pin interfaces with the hole in the middle of the jackpoint as an added aid prevent the car from slipping off.

Finally, here's a diagram in profile how I think the whole thing looks when viewed from the front of the car, looking down along the long axis of the car. The 'critical height' accounts for the battery pack sitting a little lower than the jack point -- this is why we need the STANDARD pad as the low profile pad will make the plate hit the battery. I've exaggerated the battery pack depth but the horizontal sizes representing the jackpoint and the jackpointjackstand plate are to scale.

View attachment 38175