Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do I Get to Inspect the Car Before Signing Anything?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My delivery date is tomorrow at the Van Ness delivery center/store. I have heard that they want people to sign paperwork before seeing the cars. Does this present a problem as far as rejecting if the car is unacceptable?

Should I insist on inspecting the car first before signing anything?

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
My delivery date is tomorrow at the Van Ness delivery center/store. I have heard that they want people to sign paperwork before seeing the cars. Does this present a problem as far as rejecting if the car is unacceptable?

Should I insist on inspecting the car first before signing anything?

I wouldn't worry too much about signing, but I've signed for both a model 3 and a model S at delivery of car (model 3 at home, and model in Fremont).

I would not pay until I've seen the car however (again paid both times at delivery).

You should most definitely inspect before signing.

Don't be surprised if they don't try to get you to sign first, but I doubt they'll try that hard.

Just tell them your preference, and they'll likely let you.

You can try pressing your luck by asking to test drive it. They didn't let me do that, but they did like me inspect before I signed.

Van Ness ... thats where I picked mine up. You get to inspect it for a bit and they do a walkthrough.

Had 25 miles and someone def drove the vehicle for sure as there was a bluetooth connection already. It was not a return but it looks like they either take the cars home with them occasionally or perhaps the trucks drop the cars off elsewhere in SF and they have to drive it to Van ness. i couldn’t imagine them being unloaded onto those narrow streets.

I didnt make a big deal (others may be pissed) and I’m not a super nit-picky buyer. I just didnt want one with build problems. Curious to know your experience though.

Good luck and i’m excited for you!

I inspected mine had had them actually take it back to buff out a very tiny scratch and clean the white seats as they had black marks all over in the rear. Also made them note two small rock chips up front that they fixed later.

There was no issue in Tampa doing this. When I inspected and asked them about items in Cleveland though on my S they got real aggressive and rude. I contacted corporate and Tampa fixed it all when I got home. I considered refusing the delivery actually.

Much easier to return before you have signed/paid for the car. They can take it away right there and then, no need for refunds etc.

Definitely check it over before signing anything. Also read the fine print, if it says anything like "I have checked the vehicle" just put a line through it before signing.

Sorry I didn't get back here soon. Very long day yesterday. We left at 5:30 a.m. and didn't get home until after 9 p.m.

Here is the short version. When we arrived I pulled up my Tesla app and found my car was in it and I could check things out. The first two things I discovered were that they had only charged the vehicle to 50%, barely enough to get home on. I had requested 90 - 100% and they said they would have it ready. They didn't. Next I saw that it needed a software updated. Again, they were supposed to "take care of it" but they didn't.

When we met with our delivery person (who never contacted us beforehand) she immediately wanted us to sign papers and hand over the check. I cut her off and said, "I"m not signing anything or handing over any money until I see the car". She immediately started back peddling and telling me how we only had a limited amount of time, etc. I told her that I had informed the person I had talked to to expect us to take longer and we were going to go through things. I told her I understood they were busy and we'd move as fast as we could, but we weren't going to be pushed into anything.

She took us out to the car. It was immediately apparent that they hadn't prepped the car much at all if any. The driver's side mirror was caked with gook. I could barely see through it. There was fine dust/brown mud in all the door hinges. It looked like the car had set in a dust storm. On the hood there were three long scratches (not very deep at all) and a circle about 2" in diameter. I mentioned the scratches and the circle and she said they could buff them out right away. She apologized for not charging the car and I told her we might not be able to make it home with the current charge. She said they could take care of it but we'd have to wait. We decided to take care of the update ourselves at home.

After looking over the car for about 30 minutes we said we'd sign and give her the check. We took care of that and she then had the car charged and said the paint issues would be dealt with right afterward. That meant we had to wait about 2 1/2 hours. So we went to lunch. We waited around the delivery center the rest of the time. We only saw one other delivery while we were there. The place was empty, so the BS about being busy was just that, BS.

The walk-through for the car was about 5 minutes and was almost utterly useless. As we were leaving, we couldn't get the phone charger to plug in properly. A guy who worked in service set it up for us and finally cleaned off the driver side mirror. The hood issues were taken care of and it looked good.

Overall, I thought the delivery process was a mess. Tesla needs to get its act together. They are losing sales because of this issue. It is just stupid. People who bungle delivery this badly should be fired and I strongly suspect that this is more of a management issue than anything else. They need to clean house and completely change their process. I've never bought a new car with so many easily solvable problems that the delivery team was clueless about.

On the good news side, all of the issues we had were simple fixes. When we got home and got some rest, I got up this morning and spent 4 hours carefully detailing our new car properly (which is what Tesla should have done). The mud is now gone. I did a much more thorough inspection and found no problems at all. We love the car, but hated the delivery mess.

Auto pilot started working about 3-5 miles after we got on the road. I thought it was supposed to take 50. Our car had 12 miles on it when we bought it. It fully charges to about 305 miles.

There are some paint swirls that I find annoying. I might have to have some paint restoration done. We'll see. There are no panel gaps and the alignment of the glass is very good.

I'll post some pictures when we get back from a trip we're taking for the next few days.

dmurphy: How did your delivery go? Better than mine I hope!

Sorry I didn't get back here soon. Very long day yesterday. We left at 5:30 a.m. and didn't get home until after 9 p.m.

Here is the short version. When we arrived I pulled up my Tesla app and found my car was in it and I could check things out. The first two things I discovered were that they had only charged the vehicle to 50%, barely enough to get home on. I had requested 90 - 100% and they said they would have it ready. They didn't. Next I saw that it needed a software updated. Again, they were supposed to "take care of it" but they didn't.

When we met with our delivery person (who never contacted us beforehand) she immediately wanted us to sign papers and hand over the check. I cut her off and said, "I"m not signing anything or handing over any money until I see the car". She immediately started back peddling and telling me how we only had a limited amount of time, etc. I told her that I had informed the person I had talked to to expect us to take longer and we were going to go through things. I told her I understood they were busy and we'd move as fast as we could, but we weren't going to be pushed into anything.

She took us out to the car. It was immediately apparent that they hadn't prepped the car much at all if any. The driver's side mirror was caked with gook. I could barely see through it. There was fine dust/brown mud in all the door hinges. It looked like the car had set in a dust storm. On the hood there were three long scratches (not very deep at all) and a circle about 2" in diameter. I mentioned the scratches and the circle and she said they could buff them out right away. She apologized for not charging the car and I told her we might not be able to make it home with the current charge. She said they could take care of it but we'd have to wait. We decided to take care of the update ourselves at home.

After looking over the car for about 30 minutes we said we'd sign and give her the check. We took care of that and she then had the car charged and said the paint issues would be dealt with right afterward. That meant we had to wait about 2 1/2 hours. So we went to lunch. We waited around the delivery center the rest of the time. We only saw one other delivery while we were there. The place was empty, so the BS about being busy was just that, BS.

The walk-through for the car was about 5 minutes and was almost utterly useless. As we were leaving, we couldn't get the phone charger to plug in properly. A guy who worked in service set it up for us and finally cleaned off the driver side mirror. The hood issues were taken care of and it looked good.

Overall, I thought the delivery process was a mess. Tesla needs to get its act together. They are losing sales because of this issue. It is just stupid. People who bungle delivery this badly should be fired and I strongly suspect that this is more of a management issue than anything else. They need to clean house and completely change their process. I've never bought a new car with so many easily solvable problems that the delivery team was clueless about.

On the good news side, all of the issues we had were simple fixes. When we got home and got some rest, I got up this morning and spent 4 hours carefully detailing our new car properly (which is what Tesla should have done). The mud is now gone. I did a much more thorough inspection and found no problems at all. We love the car, but hated the delivery mess.

Auto pilot started working about 3-5 miles after we got on the road. I thought it was supposed to take 50. Our car had 12 miles on it when we bought it. It fully charges to about 305 miles.

There are some paint swirls that I find annoying. I might have to have some paint restoration done. We'll see. There are no panel gaps and the alignment of the glass is very good.

I'll post some pictures when we get back from a trip we're taking for the next few days.

dmurphy: How did your delivery go? Better than mine I hope!

First of all, congratulations!! Can’t wait to see some photos when you get a chance.

I suspect you’re right - the delivery center experience seems to be wholly dependent on management and the DA’s themselves.

Mine has been super proactive - so I’m expecting a very smooth transaction tomorrow morning. It’s been clear sailing to now; emails returned quickly and phone calls answered immediately, so that bodes well.

I’m just bummed it’s going to pour rain tomorrow. Trial by fire I guess!

Glad everything was minor, but there’s no excuse to hand over a dirty vehicle. None.