Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla loaner agreement sign request prior to collecting car.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cardo

Sep 22, 2020
Surrey, UK
Our M3 is going in for work on a few different issues tomorrow and Tesla have stated it’s going to take at least 4 hours so have kindly offered a loaner. I’ve been given the VRM of the loaner, but I don’t know anything more than this. I’ve been given a code for the keybox and I have a message informing me they’ll provide the P2D PIN once I sign the agreement. Having looked at the agreement, it’s a standard hire car / loaner type thing where you mark down any existing damage. However, there doesn’t seem to be any way to mark any damage, it merely offers for me to sign this electronically. Also, if I were to wait until I’ve had the opportunity to examine the car before I sign, am I going to end up waiting an age for the PIN to be provided or is it fairly quick?

I assume I’m not the first person to be presented with this situation. How does this normally work?

Basically what I have done many times, I do sign it.

You are quite right, it's unreasonable to ask for something and give no way to provide it. That's important and in your favour.

Knowing that plus no other human is involved when you collect and return, no one actually checks anything.

If I do see anything significant on the loaner, I do take photos or if really significant I'd then go inside and speak to someone. It's crystal clear you haven't moved the car at that stage.

But remember, the loaners are never anything of quality, they are all heavily used and abused already. If it's a model S, the v3 supercharger adapter will also be mysteriously gone from the box in the boot.

Well, I really can’t complain about the car. They’ve given me a 20 plate M3LR that I can only assume is an ex-lease car. The outside was dirty, but not surprising considering the weather, however inside had clearly been cleaned very recently. It is far cleaner than my car, which I dropped off with them! Aside from the alloys being pretty scuffed up, the car appears in pretty good condition, again, better than mine!

The cool part is I had a “Access loaner vehicle” button appear in my Tesla app, which brings up the loaner as another car in my app, including the ability to enable BT key. The car unlocked passively and when I got in my driver profile popped up along with all my settings. The only thing I had to adjust was the rear view mirror! Well, that and none of the radio station favourites carried across (but TuneIn favourites did??).

I honestly can’t complain!

I normally video the outside of the car for reference in case a problem is raised by Tesla after its return. Also be aware that Tesla only cover their loaner under 3rd party so you will be liable for any damage to the vehicle. At least that was my understanding from last year.

I normally video the outside of the car for reference in case a problem is raised by Tesla after its return. Also be aware that Tesla only cover their loaner under 3rd party so you will be liable for any damage to the vehicle. At least that was my understanding from last year.
The car is covered fully comp, however carries a €2500 excess. Bit eye-watering, that, but at least it’s not third party only.

Reactions: Alwayshopeful
I’ve ended up having the loaner for longer than expected as the boot repair / respray seems to have taken longer than they predicted. It’s given me an opportunity to use the car more as my normal daily driver. It’s been interesting to see just how much is carried over in the cloud profile. Of note, my Apple Music login carried over to the loaner car without me needing to login again. I’d imagine there’ll be a similar situation with Spotify and Tidal? Disappointingly, FM/DAB favourites don’t carry over, however we’d already noticed these didn’t switch over when swapping driver profiles. Do Americans not use FM/DAB, and therefore Tesla have given it no thought?

I do like how all my driving preferences carried over, including all my AP settings. Security settings ditto, including not enabling sentry at home. It’s pretty much like having my own car, however it’s black and has the horrible piano black centre console!

I’m curious how the settings cross over to a different model, for example a MY. I’d imagine the driving settings would carry over, but what about seat/mirrors? I’d like to think as they’re a different shaped car the profile would hold individual settings for different models? In any event, this cloud profile system is a definite winner, in my book.

I’ve ended up having the loaner for longer than expected as the boot repair / respray seems to have taken longer than they predicted. It’s given me an opportunity to use the car more as my normal daily driver. It’s been interesting to see just how much is carried over in the cloud profile. Of note, my Apple Music login carried over to the loaner car without me needing to login again. I’d imagine there’ll be a similar situation with Spotify and Tidal? Disappointingly, FM/DAB favourites don’t carry over, however we’d already noticed these didn’t switch over when swapping driver profiles. Do Americans not use FM/DAB, and therefore Tesla have given it no thought?

I do like how all my driving preferences carried over, including all my AP settings. Security settings ditto, including not enabling sentry at home. It’s pretty much like having my own car, however it’s black and has the horrible piano black centre console!

I’m curious how the settings cross over to a different model, for example a MY. I’d imagine the driving settings would carry over, but what about seat/mirrors? I’d like to think as they’re a different shaped car the profile would hold individual settings for different models? In any event, this cloud profile system is a definite winner, in my book.
Don't know about remembering positions for different car models, but I did see a video that said one of the purposes of the calibration you can now do yourself via the service menu is to the car knows where the seat is more acurately so when you get in another car its the same place. It makes sense, if the calibration was out, the car may think the seats in the same place as your other car, but it isn't.

Don't know about remembering positions for different car models, but I did see a video that said one of the purposes of the calibration you can now do yourself via the service menu is to the car knows where the seat is more acurately so when you get in another car its the same place. It makes sense, if the calibration was out, the car may think the seats in the same place as your other car, but it isn't.
When I find my seat isn’t quite in the right place I run a calibration and find it returns back to where it should be. It used to be a pain as the calibration used to drift quite a lot in my car (though that too seems to have been improved with a software update) and had to keep adjusting the seat and saving again. I haven’t had to save a new seat position in months.