Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Do I have a unicorn? Austin White Interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The true unicorn is a late October, early November delivery that had the following specs:
1) 2023
2) USS sensors
3) Cargo cover
4) Matrix lights

A few of those happened but only for a very short time period and cargo cover and matrix were very hit and miss at that time. USS left the 2023s after a week or so of production. I think that was the best config...basically what all the current cars have plus the USS.

Reactions: jose3030
The true unicorn is a late October, early November delivery that had the following specs:
1) 2023
2) USS sensors
3) Cargo cover
4) Matrix lights

A few of those happened but only for a very short time period and cargo cover and matrix were very hit and miss at that time. USS left the 2023s after a week or so of production. I think that was the best config...basically what all the current cars have plus the USS.
+ comfort suspension

I thought comfort suspension was in all the 2023s. Assuming I’m getting everything hurt matrix and sensors. My SA is keeping pretty tight lipped on details.

All I’ve been able to muster is “can’t wait to see ya soon”. I’m assuming they just don’t know at this point what a car will actually show up with…
Could be, I thought based on reports that comfort suspension wasn’t 100% applied at the very beginning or maybe wasn’t coming out of Austin for a short time. I may be totally wrong about that.

1) 2023
2) USS sensors
3) Cargo cover
4) Matrix lights

No, it's not because they made tens of thousands of them. By definition, not a unicorn.

1) 2023
2) USS sensors
3) Cargo cover
4) Matrix lights

I have the switch over model before they went into the 2023 model. I have the updated interior and comfort suspension in my MYP. :)

No, it's not because they made tens of thousands of them. By definition, not a unicorn.
Really? That config only existed for at most 2 weeks of production and even then it was very random if you got a cargo cover and matrix lights so my guess is there are only a few hundred of them out there. Considering the total number of MY Tesla produces I think that is a unicorn.

What is your definition of a unicorn? Just a single vehicle? A certain % you've come up with? I'm generally curious since you seem really invested in discounting the unicorn term.

I have the switch over model before they went into the 2023 model. I have the updated interior and comfort suspension in my MYP. :)
As do I in my LR. But I didn't get a 2023, didn't get Matrix and didn't get a cargo cover. There were cars on the lot next to mine that were 2023 VINs but they didn't have Matrix and I didn't check about the cargo covers. They did still have USS though.

I'm derailing this thread though so I'll stop with my unicorn now!! Seems we have our second white seats out of Austin now. Should help put the OP at ease!!

Reactions: WyoDude
Really? That config only existed for at most 2 weeks of production and even then it was very random if you got a cargo cover and matrix lights so my guess is there are only a few hundred of them out there. Considering the total number of MY Tesla produces I think that is a unicorn.

What is your definition of a unicorn? Just a single vehicle? A certain % you've come up with? I'm generally curious since you seem really invested in discounting the unicorn term.
Hold on now, I think it’s really important we argue the semantics of this to the death…

I wouldn't call it "my definition" so much as the understood meaning across every car/truck/bike enthusiast forum I've ever been on dating back to the 90s. It's applied to super rare versions of a particular item to indicate it's ultra rarity. I can think of a few like a couple of GMC Typhoons that were made in oddball colors from the factory and only 1, 2 or 3 were ever made. These rare examples become incredibly collectible given the scarcity of their existence. It also helps if such rarities are desirable for whatever reason.

One such Tesla that fits this is a nosecone P85D I came across several years ago that was painted from the factory in non-conventional color which was similar to Audi's Nogaro Blue. It was an exec or something back when Tesla used to allow for such one-off cases. Had the window sticker showing the paint name and everything. People actually tried to tell the owner his car was worth less because it was an off color. These people have no idea the concept of collectability.

I'm sure there's unicorn versions of the original roadster as well since that was a limited production which allows for more one-off examples to be produced by the factory typically. As far as Model 3/Y goes... those were produced in very limited combinations with mass production and low pricing always the goal. None of that lends to "unicorn" status, I'm sorry to say.

What you're talking about is an overlap for defined periods of options/features/items. This overlap of desirable (for most) traits is more of a "mule" than a "unicorn" given the nature of how they came into existence. While that was meant as a joke of sorts it's probably closer to a fitting term than the way unicorn gets so readily thrown out on these forums.

I wouldn't call it "my definition" so much as the understood meaning across every car/truck/bike enthusiast forum I've ever been on dating back to the 90s. It's applied to super rare versions of a particular item to indicate it's ultra rarity. I can think of a few like a couple of GMC Typhoons that were made in oddball colors from the factory and only 1, 2 or 3 were ever made. These rare examples become incredibly collectible given the scarcity of their existence. It also helps if such rarities are desirable for whatever reason.

One such Tesla that fits this is a nosecone P85D I came across several years ago that was painted from the factory in non-conventional color which was similar to Audi's Nogaro Blue. It was an exec or something back when Tesla used to allow for such one-off cases. Had the window sticker showing the paint name and everything. People actually tried to tell the owner his car was worth less because it was an off color. These people have no idea the concept of collectability.

I'm sure there's unicorn versions of the original roadster as well since that was a limited production which allows for more one-off examples to be produced by the factory typically. As far as Model 3/Y goes... those were produced in very limited combinations with mass production and low pricing always the goal. None of that lends to "unicorn" status, I'm sorry to say.

What you're talking about is an overlap for defined periods of options/features/items. This overlap of desirable (for most) traits is more of a "mule" than a "unicorn" given the nature of how they came into existence. While that was meant as a joke of sorts it's probably closer to a fitting term than the way unicorn gets so readily thrown out on these forums.
I think technically a unicorn is a fantasy creature that doesn't exist. So in fact if the product exists it can't be called a unicorn....😁

I actually think the configuration I mentioned doesn't exist but there is a chance it did happen. I don't recall anyone on here reporting it but maybe someone did. So maybe it would actually qualify as a unicorn...potentially a made up fantasy configuration.

We’ll just for fun then…
Seems the actual definition for this context is:
something that is highly desirable but difficult to find or obtain.

I actually agree with your overall point which is why I made a joke early in the thread alluding at it being the first or one of the firsts of its kind, rather than a unicorn. However, given the definition above, I also think it can work. A 2023 with USS I think would meet that definition for many, especially all those ranting in the many USS threads.