Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do new model Tesla 3s have significantly less cabin noise than a 2018 model

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I have a 2018 Tesla 3 with $50k miles which I love and thought I would keep for many more years. But the noise inside the cabin (like the window is down a crack) really drives me nuts. I am considering trading in for a new model even tho the trade in value is very low. But before I do, I want to do my homework about how significantly improved the new models are from a cabin noise perspective. I do have a test drive scheduled for tomorrow.

Another question...I heard from a friend that there may be a third party kit to soundproof my 2018. Does any one have experience with that option and how helpful it was in reducing cabin noise?

Thanks for any guidance on these topics!

If you do a search there is a pretty long thread on road noise fixes:
Solved: Road Noise & Front Wind Noise

This one also points to a very simple fix to a very common source of wind noise from the A-pillar:
Solved: wind noise
Thanks for this input! I am a single 67 year old woman who is not very handy or a DIY type. The proposed fixes seem way above my abilities. With a promotional lease rate of 1.99% for three years, I am thinking it would be super nice to treat myself to a new, quiet car. I often drive between SF and LA to see my daughter.

Reactions: Dayreg and chrstna4
Thanks for this input! I am a single 67 year old woman who is not very handy or a DIY type. The proposed fixes seem way above my abilities. With a promotional lease rate of 1.99% for three years, I am thinking it would be super nice to treat myself to a new, quiet car. I often drive between SF and LA to see my daughter.
The sponge hack in the second link is pretty easy to do, but understood if you would prefer to get a newer car, as it would have improvements elsewhere and the noise improvements (as well as suspension improvements) will be more comprehensive. You would have to test if some of the changes are ok with you (mainly the changes in removing the stalks from the car).

Thank you again! Waking up this morning I am thinking it is pretty indulgent to trade in a perfectly good car that I own, for a leased new car. Playing music helps a lot:) Also will try to sponge thing, or see if my handyman can help with some of the more complicated suggestions. Thanks for the links!

One question...when you mention "removing the stalks" are you refering to the new model? Hate to sound like a ditz but I don't even know what a stalk is. 😩

The sponge hack in the second link is pretty easy to do, but understood if you would prefer to get a newer car, as it would have improvements elsewhere and the noise improvements (as well as suspension improvements) will be more comprehensive. You would have to test if some of the changes are ok with you (mainly the changes in removing the stalks from the car).
Thank you again for your helpful input. Waking up this AM I am thinking its a super indulgent decision to trade in a perfectly good car that I love driving and OWN for a new leased car - all due to sound issues which are fixable or at least improvable. I think my body shop guy could help me along with the links you provided. Really appreciate your guidance!

One question...when you mention "removing the stalks" are you refering to the new model? Hate to sound like a ditz but I don't even know what a stalk is. 😩

The blinker and gear stalks on the sides of the steering wheel have been removed. On the latest Model 3s, there are steering wheel buttons for blinkers (yuck) and you change the gear (forward or reverse) on the screen.

Those are terrible design decisions in my opinion.

The new model has no steering column stalks (levers) for directional signals or gear changes. Instead, gear changes (reverse, drive ,park) are done on the center screen. Directional signals for right and left turns are done with "buttons" on the steering wheel. Windshield washing is a steering wheel button as well. Most people adapt to these changes pretty quickly, but a test drive is essential to see how comfortable you are with these changes. I've driven the new model, and I can say that the ride is vastly improved compared to my 2018 Model 3 Dual Motor. Some owners have had good luck with aftermarket solutions to the noisy cabin, it's worth a try if you can find someone who can do it for you. I'll be curious to hear what you think after a test drive.

Thank you again! Waking up this morning I am thinking it is pretty indulgent to trade in a perfectly good car that I own, for a leased new car. Playing music helps a lot:) Also will try to sponge thing, or see if my handyman can help with some of the more complicated suggestions. Thanks for the links!

As others pointed out, the new model has removed the turn signal/wiper/highbeam and gear change/AP stalks from the steering wheel. Those functions are now controlled by a combination of buttons on the steering wheel and the touchscreen (there are backup physical gear change buttons where the hazard lights are on top of middle rear view mirror). Most people can get used to it, but it is a deal breaker for some. When you do your test drive, you should get a general idea of how it works, although you may not be able to get used to it yet.

As others pointed out, the new model has removed the turn signal/wiper/highbeam and gear change/AP stalks from the steering wheel. Those functions are now controlled by a combination of buttons on the steering wheel and the touchscreen (there are backup physical gear change buttons where the hazard lights are on top of middle rear view mirror). Most people can get used to it, but it is a deal breaker for some. When you do your test drive, you should get a general idea of how it works, although you may not be able to get used to it yet.
OMG. I can barry manage the touch screen control as it is. I think this would be a deal breaker for me. Thanks for the warning. Tesla should be mamking its cars easier to operate rather than harder!
I think this is wise. You could probably pay someone a few hundred dollars to do this for you.
Thanks for the affirmation! I'm sure I can too. Appreciate all the help here from everyone!

The new model has no steering column stalks (levers) for directional signals or gear changes. Instead, gear changes (reverse, drive ,park) are done on the center screen. Directional signals for right and left turns are done with "buttons" on the steering wheel. Windshield washing is a steering wheel button as well. Most people adapt to these changes pretty quickly, but a test drive is essential to see how comfortable you are with these changes. I've driven the new model, and I can say that the ride is vastly improved compared to my 2018 Model 3 Dual Motor. Some owners have had good luck with aftermarket solutions to the noisy cabin, it's worth a try if you can find someone who can do it for you. I'll be curious to hear what you think after a test drive.
Actually cancelled the test drive. Just thought the better of it from a financial standpoint, and now hearing about the eleimation of the stalks I am doubley sure of my decision. I have enough trouble already with the exisitng item on the touch svreen and dont like taking my eyes off the road. Need to get getter at using the voice commands but don't need more tech to manager. Thank you for explaining this to me.

Reactions: Seattle and terranx
There are some sound deadening measures to be taken as posted about above. Since it seems this isn’t something you’d want to undertake yourself I would look on facebook for your local Tesla group and I would ask for recommendations of local shops that do this kind of work. You can probably get a local recommendation and get the improvements you want done.

There are some sound deadening measures to be taken as posted about above. Since it seems this isn’t something you’d want to undertake yourself I would look on facebook for your local Tesla group and I would ask for recommendations of local shops that do this kind of work. You can probably get a local recommendation and get the improvements you want done.
Great idea...never thought to look for a Tesla group on Facebook. Will do! Thank you!

Reactions: WyoDude