Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do new superchargers have lower power?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

swegman

Mar 27, 2012
AP has an article today ( Tesla puts charging stations in more locations ) stating that new superchargers are coming on line today that are smaller and easier to install. The article also states that these chargers deliver 72 kW to each car. I thought the current superchargers deliver a maximum of 120 kW to a car (although it tapers off as the battery charges). Anyone know if this article is correct? What affect will it have on charging times for our model S and X cars if the new superchargers only deliver a maximum of 72 kW?

I was at the brand new Burlington, NJ supercharger yesterday and was charging with 96 kW.
IMG_1502.PNG

This article might help to clarify what the AP article is talking about: Supercharging Cities

AP has an article today ( Tesla puts charging stations in more locations ) stating that new superchargers are coming on line today that are smaller and easier to install. The article also states that these chargers deliver 72 kW to each car. I thought the current superchargers deliver a maximum of 120 kW to a car (although it tapers off as the battery charges). Anyone know if this article is correct? What affect will it have on charging times for our model S and X cars if the new superchargers only deliver a maximum of 72 kW?

As you've probably seen from the links, it looks like Tesla intends on making city chargers dedicated instead of shared. There's no indication that they expect to change the plan or equipment for the nodes that aren't in the inner city areas.

As you've probably guessed, the effect will be to slow down the ideal circumstances charging by about a third, although you'll still get that same performance if the site is crowded. Lately I've had a lot of sessions that didn't really get much above 70 kW even at fairly quiet locations, presumably due to hardware challenges.

It'll still be a lot cheaper and faster than CHAdeMO or CCS...

Lately I've had a lot of sessions that didn't really get much above 70 kW even at fairly quiet locations, presumably due to hardware challenges.

I used the supercharger in Southampton, NY on Labor Day (Monday, 9/4/17) where I received 122 rated miles in 26 minutes of charging.

the SC did ramp up to 114 kW for a (only) few seconds before slowly tapering down to 72 kW before I unplugged my car and headed on my way.

According to TeslaFi my max kW were 114.86 kW and(but) my average for the 26 minute session was (only) 83.635 kW

Still I was pleased with this kind of SCing performance and look forward to Urban chargers in more cities as time goes on.

for those of you who are interested, I arrived at the SC with 45 rated miles and left with 167 rated miles,

Tesla's blog post states that the new type of Superchargers has a max rate of 72kW but that each stall can deliver that max rate regardless of how many other cars are charging at adjacent stalls at the Supercharger location (my interpretation of the wording of the blog post).

The other existing Supercharger locations can charge at 120kW up to 135kW I believe at some locations. So yes, the new type of Supercharges are somewhat slower but stalls are not "paired" so that is a compensation.

And keep in mind that you only get the higher charge rates at current Superchargers when your battery is at a low state of charge.

Since the new type of Supercharger locations are intended to be in urban areas away from long distance travel routes, and in areas where people are likely to park to shop or do errands, the lower charging rate really won't have much of a negative impact in my opinion.

These urban superchargers are being designed for urban people to charge, not for out of town people to come pick up a quick charge as needed on their journeys. Also by limiting the charge they can ensure that you can park in whatever stall you want and don't have to worry about a slow charge rate by sharing juice with another stall.

Reactions: AvengerBB