Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Not Understand Tesla Rationale for Why There is No Sirius/XM in Model 3 or Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this isn’t a big deal for some, but it is for me. On every Acura, BMW, Mercedes, and Audi I have owned since 2008, they all have Sirius/XM radio. When I travel and rent cars, they all have Sirius XM. So why this is excluded from the Model 3 and Y is beyond me. I’ve read about all the different ways to use your phone or install a cheap XM receiver but quite frankly it’s a lot of brain damage. Does anyone know the real reason Tesla puts XM radio receiver in Model S/X but not 3/Y ?

I am considering a Y to replace an Audi SQ5, and the interior quality of the Y is a bit of a turn off. The size of the etron is too big and the range of the etron and etron 4 are a turn off. I’ll probably bite the bullet and buy the Y, but it would make some of the interior quality and fit and finish issues of the Y more palatable if I could have Sirius XM.

Reactions: KentheJ
I know this isn’t a big deal for some, but it is for me. On every Acura, BMW, Mercedes, and Audi I have owned since 2008, they all have Sirius/XM radio. When I travel and rent cars, they all have Sirius XM. So why this is excluded from the Model 3 and Y is beyond me. I’ve read about all the different ways to use your phone or install a cheap XM receiver but quite frankly it’s a lot of brain damage. Does anyone know the real reason Tesla puts XM radio receiver in Model S/X but not 3/Y ?

I am considering a Y to replace an Audi SQ5, and the interior quality of the Y is a bit of a turn off. The size of the etron is too big and the range of the etron and etron 4 are a turn off. I’ll probably bite the bullet and buy the Y, but it would make some of the interior quality and fit and finish issues of the Y more palatable if I could have Sirius XM.
I’ve had my Y for 10 months. I got rid of my previous Sirius/XM account for my car and switched to a strictly streaming through my phone plan for $10.99 a month. I stream my Sirius music and Howard Stern to my Tesla via Bluetooth and it works flawlessly. Is it ideal? No! Is is stupid that Tesla won’t allow us to get it integrated into the actual car? Yes! Am I saving a *sugar* ton of money with my current setup vs what I was paying before for the same exact channel lineup etc and service? Yes! I am happy enough! Give it a try. I miss Apple CarPlay integration more but I’m dealing with it because the car is amazing!!

I’ve had my Y for 10 months. I got rid of my previous Sirius/XM account for my car and switched to a strictly streaming through my phone plan for $10.99 a month. I stream my Sirius music and Howard Stern to my Tesla via Bluetooth and it works flawlessly. Is it ideal? No! Is is stupid that Tesla won’t allow us to get it integrated into the actual car? Yes! Am I saving a *sugar* ton of money with my current setup vs what I was paying before for the same exact channel lineup etc and service? Yes! I am happy enough! Give it a try. I miss Apple CarPlay integration more but I’m dealing with it because the car is amazing!!

Thanks. If I buy the Y I will just transfer the XM account from my Audi to my Mercedes (C43 AMG convertible...it's not electric but a *sugar* ton fun to drive). If I stream XM through phone, will using Siri to change channels work or do I need to get the Amazon echo for the car? Also, when you make a call, or receive a call, after you are done, does it revert back to music through blue tooth on phone, or do you need to reinitiate it. I guess I could test this out on my other cars and see what happens.

It's like anything else probably. You think you can't live without something until you have to, and then it's not so bad. Of course this doesn't apply to my wife!

Thanks. If I buy the Y I will just transfer the XM account from my Audi to my Mercedes (C43 AMG convertible...it's not electric but a *sugar* ton fun to drive). If I stream XM through phone, will using Siri to change channels work or do I need to get the Amazon echo for the car? Also, when you make a call, or receive a call, after you are done, does it revert back to music through blue tooth on phone, or do you need to reinitiate it. I guess I could test this out on my other cars and see what happens.

It's like anything else probably. You think you can't live without something until you have to, and then it's not so bad. Of course this doesn't apply to my wife!
I actually haven’t tried using Siri to change channels. I usually wait for a traffic light or a pit stop if I need to switch. I will have to test that out myself. I have gotten phone calls etc and it does revert back to the music when its done. Hope it was helpful. Good luck in whatever decision you make. If you order the MY today you might be waiting a long time. There might be a better solution by then.

In the Model Y Bluetooth streaming for phone and audio works as with other vehicles. You can only have one phone set as the default BT device for streaming and incoming calls.

The Echo Auto microphone array (6 microphones) can hear Alexa voice commands even over music and road noise. To use the Alexa voice commands you don't have to open your phone screen. Once you add the SiriusXM skill to your Alexa settings, log in to your SiriusXM account you can use the Alexa app while driving to stream SiriusXM programming.

Last edited:
I actually haven’t tried using Siri to change channels. I usually wait for a traffic light or a pit stop if I need to switch. I will have to test that out myself. I have gotten phone calls etc and it does revert back to the music when its done. Hope it was helpful. Good luck in whatever decision you make. If you order the MY today you might be waiting a long time. There might be a better solution by then.
If I ordered today I would get car sometime in Dec....so yes, a very long wait. High demand and chip shortage I imagine is the issue. I doubt Elon is going to cave and add Sirius XM.

Reactions: DMateo
I'll try the Echo Auto if I buy the Y. I just tried using siri to access xm radio and change channels. It doesn't work. It keeps taking me to Apple Music. I think to use Siri you have to create a bunch of Siri shortcuts, which I will have to look into.
You can use the Alexa phone app with the SiriusXM skill without the Echo Auto. The Echo Auto device enables using the Alexa app hands free while driving.

So why this is excluded from the Model 3 and Y

My guess is that it is offered in the S/X for feature parity with cars in that price range. It was probably omitted from the 3/Y for cost savings. Tesla would probably say their streaming offering that comes with the car is just as good and they have data from the S/X to show that most customers don't use it (same excuse they gave for removing the passenger lumbar support in the MY recently).

I have SiriusXM in the car I passed down to my son when we got the MY. Since I only pay $5/mo for SiriusXM and they allow you to stream it on your phone for free too, I have access to it in the MY, but I never use it. Once you get used to the Tesla streaming music service it's functionally equivalent for listening to music (unless you want something exclusive to SiriusXM like Howard Stern or a sports package). Plus with the Tesla streaming service, if you like a particular artist, just say "Play artist name" and the car will play songs by that artist and similar.

Lastly, the Tesla streaming service has a pre-programed Grimes station. You just cant get that on SiriusXM. 😁

Just get the app based Sirius XM subscription. Then you’re golden.

I think to use Siri you have to create a bunch of Siri shortcuts, which I will have to look into.

If anyone knows how to get Siri Shortcuts to work, please share. I found a Shortcuts recipe but couldn't get it to work.

it looks like Apple may be restricting the use of Siri with 3rd party Apps in iOS 15, including some CarPlay intents

it looks like Apple may be restricting the use of Siri with 3rd party Apps in iOS 15, including some CarPlay intents
I tested using alexa to play sirius xm on my iphone and it works. Listening via bluetooth and add the Echo auto, and as some have said that is all you really need. If I buy Y that is route I’ll go. Very used to certain xm channels so I want to keep that capability.

Reactions: jcanoe