Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do strong magnets influence my car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am planning to buy a very strong magnet (that can carry 600kg) but I am afraid that it will somehow negatively influence my car when I lie it in the back. Maybe the batteries?

Does any of you know if it will negatively impact anything?

Yeah, Neodymium is no joke. A piece the size of a poker chip could injure you and would be very difficult to remove from steel. Something the size that OP is talking about needs to be in a box and you have to have a good plan before taking it out. That said, it wouldn't affect the car even if you did throw it in there loose, other than the dents, scratches, and severed fingers it collected along the way.

Upvote 0
I bought one of them...I thought it it might be a way to retrieve an anchor if I ever lost one...it came all the way from China wrapped in foam inside a small cardboard box. It wasn’t attracted to any metal while in its box but it’s pretty powerful when unwrapped !!
I decided not put it in the boat because of the compass and I wouldn’t put it in the Tesla for similar reason...but I suspect it’s perfectly safe because it came a long way either by sea (could have been a container with thousands of them! Or perhaps it came on a plane!

Upvote 0
Actually geocaching, but as the geocache is in the water and it is made of metal you are right it is effectively magnet fishing.
Holy overkill, batman! Sounds like you need a magnet that can lift ~5kg, not one that can lift ~600. I'd suggest you rethink your purchase choice. Super strong magnets are super dangerous!. At least at 5kg you won't lose a finger or have an explosion of neodymium fragments.

Upvote 0