Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do the key cards link to a driver profile?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No.

When you get in, if he drove last, you click the profile name on the screen and select yours (everything changes).

If your issue is that each driver has different seating position, especially drastic changes (example, I'm 6'1 and my wife is 5'3), you should select "Use Easy Entry" on the shorter person's profile. When parked and unbelted, the Easy Entry profile automatically moves the seat/wheel to a position so that both people can get in, and then when set to drive, the profile will adjust to the locations/specs elected by the driver's normal profile.

No.

When you get in, if he drove last, you click the profile name on the screen and select yours (everything changes).

If your issue is that each driver has different seating position, especially drastic changes (example, I'm 6'1 and my wife is 5'3), you should select "Use Easy Entry" on the shorter person's profile. When parked, the Easy Entry profile automatically moves the seat/wheel to a position so that both people can get in and then the profile will adjust to the perfect locations/specs.

Thanks I do use that feature already, and it's not hard to just pick the persons name I was just wondering if it could link to the card. On my BMW you can link the fob to a driver profile so it just automatically goes into position because it knows who is driving.

Reactions: dhrivnak
If your issue is that each driver has different seating position, especially drastic changes (example, I'm 6'1 and my wife is 5'3), you should select "Use Easy Entry" on the shorter person's profile. When parked and unbelted, the Easy Entry profile automatically moves the seat/wheel to a position so that both people can get in, and then when set to drive, the profile will adjust to the locations/specs elected by the driver's normal profile.

i'm not 100% sure how this works, but it seems if you get in (with easy entry selected, i.e. the shorter person just drove and the seat moved back) and you press the brake before selecting your profile, it will automatically go back to the profile of the last person who drove. at least, i think that's how it works based on the road trip my wife and i just did. you have to pick your profile before putting your foot on the brake to "start" the car, otherwise it'll go right back to the profile that was last in use.

• Helpful
Reactions: Snow Drift
No.

I have this issue. My Wife is 5'0" while I am 6'0". I have to change the profile before can I even sit in the seat. Using Easy Entry is great idea!

Reactions: COM3
If you both use phone app as a key does that remember different driver profiles, or is that still not a thing?

We both do use the phone app. However it does not differentiate between people as it is only linked to one account. The vehicle will remain on the most recent setting regardless of key/phone used. I don’t see any reason Tesla couldn’t add the feature in the future though. It would be a welcome addition.

Reactions: Snow Drift
We both do use the phone app. However it does not differentiate between people as it is only linked to one account. The vehicle will remain on the most recent setting regardless of key/phone used. I don’t see any reason Tesla couldn’t add the feature in the future though. It would be a welcome addition.

So, if both phones are in the car, it defaults to the most recent profile used? My wife will probably rarely drive my car, but I'd like to have her phone set up for when she does.

No.

I just figured that out today. It feels like a needless complication/shortcoming.

I assume at this point the answer is no, but can it not adjust everything for the driver automatically upon unlocking with said driver’s card/phone?

Do Model S/X work the same way as the 3 (with the easy entry profile) or do they adjust upon unlocking?

@TeeEmCee whats a shortcoming? Easy Access or the lack of auto adjustment?

I don’t mind it bc my wife and I both have the app. So, if we both walk to the car, it connects, and if the other person is driving it would be annoying; as I wouldn’t fit in her seating position.

@TeeEmCee whats a shortcoming? Easy Access or the lack of auto adjustment?

I don’t mind it bc my wife and I both have the app. So, if we both walk to the car, it connects, and if the other person is driving it would be annoying; as I wouldn’t fit in her seating position.

The lack of immediate auto-adjustment upon unlocking unless everyone uses the shared Easy Access profile. Oddly it auto-adjusts after “starting” the car by pressing the brake but it’s a PITA to get in to reach the brake when the seat was left adjusted for a shorter driver.

I found out that the S and X have what I would consider the “normal” behavior, it’s shown as “link to fob” in the UI. I would guess that means it’s coming to the 3 as well.

This has been something I wanted to read up on because it’s been confusing to me as well. I think once things settle out a bit, attention will be given to making the Model 3 controls more robust. We have a Model S and Model 3 now and to make things more confusing I got into our Model S, it recognized my fob but the driver profile showed up as my husbands. Don’t recall this being an issue. We keep both cars in the driveway next to each other. On the Model S I’ve been wondering if it’s been getting confused if we both approach at near the same time but this morning it was just me there.

Aside from having to reclose the Model 3 door again, not having closed it hard enough, we seem to have to make sure it locks. When I use the phone app it will close the mirrors and lock, so it works but a few times we’ve caught the doors unlocked. Definitely some readjusting from our Model S needed. Also thought there was going to be universal driver profiles at some point so no matter what Tesla you were driving (including loaner) it would automatically adjust to you.

Haven’t seen v9 on either car for an update yet. Looking forward to the direction list to appear closer to the left with that.

I am curious if anyone has feedback as to whether having two separate login accounts affects this. If you have two logins, will that tie to individual profiles?

Since they both go to the same car, and tesla does not currently differentiate between profiles in the car relative to key fobs, I dont think it would work. I asked this question when I took delivery of my car and tesla (both delivery and customer support people) told me it would not work.... but that doesnt mean they were correct lol.

I was used to the feature of linking profiles to keyfobs because our BMWs have that. Since tesla told me it would not work, I did not go through the effort of having a separate profile created for my wife (and it requires sending an email, and them doing something specific to create another online account for the same car, and takes a few weeks... so its not "quick").

This was before I learned that, although well meaning most of the time, tesla employees sometimes dont say "I dont know" when they dont know... they sometimes give the answer they "think" it would be, instead of saying "I dont know but I will find out" and researching said answer.

So... "I dont know" would be my answer as well, as although I was told it would not work, I didnt not try it personally... but suspect it would not base on how the software currently works.e . I also suspect that, at some point they will add some more robustness to the profile selection via software update but thats just a guess as well.

Since they both go to the same car, and tesla does not currently differentiate between profiles in the car relative to key fobs, I dont think it would work. I asked this question when I took delivery of my car and tesla (both delivery and customer support people) told me it would not work.... but that doesnt mean they were correct lol.

I was used to the feature of linking profiles to keyfobs because our BMWs have that. Since tesla told me it would not work, I did not go through the effort of having a separate profile created for my wife (and it requires sending an email, and them doing something specific to create another online account for the same car, and takes a few weeks... so its not "quick").

This was before I learned that, although well meaning most of the time, tesla employees sometimes dont say "I dont know" when they dont know... they sometimes give the answer they "think" it would be, instead of saying "I dont know but I will find out" and researching said answer.

So... "I dont know" would be my answer as well, as although I was told it would not work, I didnt not try it personally... but suspect it would not base on how the software currently works.e . I also suspect that, at some point they will add some more robustness to the profile selection via software update but thats just a guess as well.

Thanks for the response. That was sort of the answer I got when I took delivery as well. He did eventually say, "Try it out, cause I'm honestly not sure" on a few things. He did mention that if he emails the mystery support team, that a second account will get added faster, and we are a day later and stil not linked, but it is Sunday, so...
Probably didn't need to create the second account, but my wife is not a fan of my totally random generated 25 character passwords, and wanted her own account. :p

Thanks for the response. That was sort of the answer I got when I took delivery as well. He did eventually say, "Try it out, cause I'm honestly not sure" on a few things. He did mention that if he emails the mystery support team, that a second account will get added faster, and we are a day later and stil not linked, but it is Sunday, so...
Probably didn't need to create the second account, but my wife is not a fan of my totally random generated 25 character passwords, and wanted her own account. :p

I just logged into the account on my wifes phone (the app stays logged in unless you specifically log out, at least on iOS it does. My experience with the "secondary account" process was, you email customer service requesting a second account for your car, then some time later ( 2-3 weeks at least it was for me) they respond with the information they want from you to verify your ownership of the car, and your request to create a second account pointing to said car. By that time we had owned the car 3 weeks or so, and were sharing the account already, so I didnt follow through with opening up the second account for her because there was no perceived benefit.

Maybe it will be different for you, as this was in december of last year.