Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you ever forget to plug your EV in at night (is it even a problem)?

How many times have you forgotten to plug your EV in over the last year?

• never

Votes: 35 60.3%
  • 1-4 times

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • 5-9 times

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • 10 or greater

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, three times now. Forgot last night. I blame whoever started this thread=)
I think a simple technological solution should be part of the Model S, even if it's usually not a big deal if you forget. A text message at 10PM if you forgot to plug in would work for me. You could always tell your car (or the app) 'don't bother me with this for X time period' if you went on vacation or something.

During a routine check a few months ago a Tesla mechanic checked the battery and told me that mine was, after two years (and yes, a measly approx. 12k km ;), in an even better shape than the "average" battery in a new Roadster as far as capacity is concerned. Works for me. :)
I've seen a number of cycle tests that show an increase in capacity during the first 50 or so cycles for LiFePO4 cells, it's possible that LiCo has a similar behavior.

I think a simple technological solution should be part of the Model S, even if it's usually not a big deal if you forget. A text message at 10PM if you forgot to plug in would work for me. You could always tell your car (or the app) 'don't bother me with this for X time period' if you went on vacation or something.

Elon was talking about the car learning your habits... it could use GPS to notice you are at a location where you usually charge (for example at home), and notify you after a certain time if you don't.

I haven't kept track of exactly how many times, but I don't think it is 10 yet. When I first got it, I was only charging when I got below half battery. Then two things happened: (1) I had a problem with the UMC. I was unable to charge for a couple days. (2) I read on TMC that TM actually prefers that the Roadster be charged every night. So, I've been charging every night. But many times, for reasons such as being in a rush, or having my hands full, I told myself I'd plug it in later. But because it wasn't critical that I do it, I'd forget.

For my daily commute, I use just over 20 ideal miles. I think I could go a week on a standard charge... but why risk it?

Well, only 2-1/2 months so far but never 'forget' I just don't plug in everyday and try to run between 100 and 200 mi rated for the most part.
With the ipod/tablet app (no phone 4 me) I have been plugging in every night but not charging until 15 min-1/2 hr before work if it is cold out (for regen to be full and batteries warm)

The gasoline truck that I had to use for work last week is another story - almost ran out of gas 2 times!! what crappy mileage ford v8 trucks get