Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you have to pay data for Tidal streaming or does it use phone data?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can do that over bluetooth. I thought you were referring to the Tidal feature in new firmware.

I didnt know Tidal was available in the new firmware..... my own car has been stuck at 2021.32.22 for several weeks (longer than I have ever been on one firmware version previously) even though I never "pushed the button" to request FSD beta.

Thanks for the heads up.

Reactions: mrwug
My understanding is that Tidal will only work over wifi, where you can download albums and playlists and then play them in CD quality resolution. What I don't know is whether you can stream it if you have wifi coming from your phone's hotspot and enough bandwidth connecting that way. But if you have the wifi hotspot you can download on the fly and then play. I doubt highly that Tesla implemented the MQA unfold required to get higher than CD resolution. The first unfold happens in software, the second in an MQA capable DAC, and the third in the DAC as well with more advanced capabilities. When I played Tidal at home my DAC would still register it as 24/96 even though it was not MQA capable. Another DAC that was capable would display the MQA light. I generally couldn't tell the difference though between the two although I never A/B'ed them.

And I'll say this, if you have never played anything other than Slacker, Spotify or Bluetooth on your Tesla you'll be surprised at how much better full CD will sound. And true hi-res at 24/96 is even better. I've played the higher resolutions while parked using the browser and Qobuz and it really makes a difference. I've complained on the board about how crappy it all sounds, the drivers, the amp, and the source but improving the source is a great start to improvement.

Now if I could only get the .40 update...

My understanding is that Tidal will only work over wifi, where you can download albums and playlists and then play them in CD quality resolution. What I don't know is whether you can stream it if you have wifi coming from your phone's hotspot and enough bandwidth connecting that way. But if you have the wifi hotspot you can download on the fly and then play. I doubt highly that Tesla implemented the MQA unfold required to get higher than CD resolution. The first unfold happens in software, the second in an MQA capable DAC, and the third in the DAC as well with more advanced capabilities. When I played Tidal at home my DAC would still register it as 24/96 even though it was not MQA capable. Another DAC that was capable would display the MQA light. I generally couldn't tell the difference though between the two although I never A/B'ed them.

And I'll say this, if you have never played anything other than Slacker, Spotify or Bluetooth on your Tesla you'll be surprised at how much better full CD will sound. And true hi-res at 24/96 is even better. I've played the higher resolutions while parked using the browser and Qobuz and it really makes a difference. I've complained on the board about how crappy it all sounds, the drivers, the amp, and the source but improving the source is a great start to improvement.

Good info, thanks

When you are like me, and not only have been here for a few years, but also read *a lot* of threads, you tend to get a feel for which regular members are passionate about which topics. What I mean is, I noticed right away that you are one of the users who is both passionate about, and knowledgeable about audio, so whenever you mention something about audio I pay extra attention.

thanks for your feedback here on this.

Reactions: 101dals
When you are like me, and not only have been here for a few years, but also read *a lot* of threads, you tend to get a feel for which regular members are passionate about which topics. What I mean is, I noticed right away that you are one of the users who is both passionate about, and knowledgeable about audio, so whenever you mention something about audio I pay extra attention.

thanks for your feedback here on this.
I think it was the first thing I asked here about the Tesla before I bought it! The answers weren't positive but I bought it anyway figuring that'll it will get resolved, eventually. I'm pretty happy with everything else about the car.

its the same as spotify. its a Tesla created car tidal app

The app should become available with Tesla's 2021.40 vehicle firmware update, out now in the U.S. Per Tesla's release notes (via Electrek): "TIDAL streaming is now available from the Media menu with a TIDAL account. You can listen to TIDAL playlists or albums in high-quality audio by connecting to Wi-Fi and pressing Download on the selected content."

its the same as spotify. its a Tesla created car tidal app

The app should become available with Tesla's 2021.40 vehicle firmware update, out now in the U.S. Per Tesla's release notes (via Electrek): "TIDAL streaming is now available from the Media menu with a TIDAL account. You can listen to TIDAL playlists or albums in high-quality audio by connecting to Wi-Fi and pressing Download on the selected content."
And it is still unclear from that release note exactly how it works. Does it mean that lo-res streaming is available over the premium connection, or that ONLY hi-res downloads of playlists and albums are supported. or is it both?

It looks like the release has stopped going out. There must be a bug and there will be a 2021.40.1 release coming.

Notateslaapp is saying 40.5.1 is coming soon, so yes they found a bug.

Last edited:
I have premium connectivity in my model s.
when I hit the button for music on my screen, one of the options is Tidal. When I select tidal, it shows me a QR code. When I scan this, it brings me to a login page and I set up a free account.

I downloaded the tidal app to my phone and I can play songs from my phone to the Tesla audio system.

But is there an app within the Tesla system that enables me to play tidal directly, as with slacker or Spotify? Or milist it always be from my phone. wach time I select the tidal app on my Tesla screen, it just gives me a QR code to sign up with, but I am already signed up.

So is there a built in tidal app in the Tesla or not please?

You should be able to stream Tidal directly on the car now with the built in app behind that button. If not, the setup wasn't completed. You only need the phone to complete the Tidal account setup. The thing is that the free tier of Tidal does not give you the improved quality, only the hifi tier or greater. The hifi tier is available for $1 for a 3 month trial and then $10/month after that.

Reactions: nvilletele
You should be able to stream Tidal directly on the car now with the built in app behind that button. If not, the setup wasn't completed. You only need the phone to complete the Tidal account setup. The thing is that the free tier of Tidal does not give you the improved quality, only the hifi tier or greater. The hifi tier is available for $1 for a 3 month trial and then $10/month after that.
Thanks for the prompt and helpful reply.

I had set successfully up free tidal account through my phone and it worked fine and I was able to play tracks. But no tidal app within Tesla, only playing from my phone through bluetooth to the Tesla.

Do I have to have the paid version of tidal for it to allow me to login to the Tesla tidal app? Or is something just messed up maybe? I am guessing the latter ….. I also rebooted but still no tidal app on the Tesla, just the QR code.

Reactions: DonaldBecker