Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you miss the roar of a V8?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not at all.
In fact I want the car to be even more silent. To me the most amazing thing is to back out and then pull away in utter silence. I would love to eliminate the road/tire noise, and only hear the wind rushing by as you cruise along the highway. That would be cool.

... I do use my V8 with race exhaust for my weekend stunts in the mountains. Tried the S and it just wasn't the same. Skyline, Pescadero, hwy9, etc are best driven spirited in a V8 or v12 with brunch at Alice's. :)
yhahe7y9.jpg
And this too has days that are numbered. Witness this:
600.jpg
The electric Lightning, under rider Carlin Dunne, this week ran the lower half of the steep, 12-mile course at 4:32 and the top at 5:04 -- many seconds ahead of the next-fastest machines, officials at Lightning said.

That sets up the possibility that Dunne will beat his own record, set last year at Pikes Peak on a Ducati Multistrada. He's the fastest person ever to climb the hill on a motorcycle, with a total course time of 9:52.819. (A couple of cars have made it just a fraction faster. The current record is held by driver Rhys Millen, who ran the hill at 9:46.164 in a Hyundai Genesis coupe.)

- - - Updated - - -

I've heard that hearing the sound of your own wheels can drive you crazy. So slow down and take it easy.:wink:

Come on Baby...

I was at a red light behind a Maserati today. We both made a left turn and he tried so hard to get away. I wasn't pusihing my 60 at all and stayed comfortly behind him. My wife and I both were laughing at the amount of useless noise that he was making as he strained to get away. It sounded like a bucket of bolts.

This may sound a little weird or corny, but when I hear an ICE I can't help but think that their car is propelled by fire, one of man's earliest discoveries, while my car is propelled by a high energy rotational force field. It just seems cool to me to think about it that way.

This may sound a little weird or corny, but when I hear an ICE I can't help but think that their car is propelled by fire, one of man's earliest discoveries, while my car is propelled by a high energy rotational force field. It just seems cool to me to think about it that way.

nice!
excellent way to look at it :smile:

It was pretty interesting autocrossing and being silent when all of the STI's and supecharged stang etc are sooo loud. All you hear of my car are the tires squealing on braking and hard corners. Fun from the inside but watching an S is a little boring in an AutoX.

I don't miss it at all. To be fair, I never liked it. Just another form of pollution. If you DO miss it, I would think just the knowledge that you can blow the doors off most of those V8's (silently) is satisfaction enough. I think you have to drive the car for at least a little while to truly appreciate what a stunning achievement it is.

Isn't this like the debate over digital v paper? "Don't you ever miss the tactile experience of flipping book pages?"

Ultimately the debate doesn't matter. People will go for the superior technology. In ten years from now, all of the "disadvantages" of electric cars will be gone, and most people will acknowledge that ev is superior to the Rube Goldberg/combustion engine. Yes, there will be people, even then, who still romanticize the ICE, but everybody else will be moving on.

I've never owned a remotely powerful ICE but have driven an M3 multiple times. Great car and the engine sound is cool but you get over the lack of sound very quickly.

If you grew up working on cars, have a deep association with engines and love the roar maybe it might be an issue (everyone is different). I only had cars prior to this as something to get me somewhere.

The instant torque and the feel more than make up for any sound.

I don't have my Model S yet, but I do drive a Roadster regularly and my daily driver is a hybrid.

For the fun I have a BMW M5 E39 V8 and that's always a blast to drive! I drive it like 6 times a year or so, just for pure fun and blasting through tunnels. Same goes with my motor cycle, I love the engine revving under me and flames coming out the back when I shift down.

Do I miss that in the Roadster? Nope, but I do still like an engine revving, but not for 99% of my driving.

Nope, I still have a "V8" (if you can call a 1994 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 with a 454 V8, 4 wheel drive) a "V8".

It's only used for three things: plowing the driveway / parking area in the winter (this is it's primary use), hauling building materials (4' X 8' sheet material fit in it with the seats down), not used for this much any longer, 3rd use is moving stuff, connect up the 5' X 8' utility trailer to the hitch... This beast gets 12MPG on a good day, and has a 33 gallon tank. It also has 155,000 miles on it.. It gets maybe 1 fillup a year. If we didn't get much snow, it would already be gone, but it earns it's keep plowing the property in the winter.

I suppose a 4th use is if the Model S needs to go to the shop, but with the new loaners, not much use for that. It normally wouldn't be used for trips beyond the Model S's range, it's old, tired, has a tendency to break, and a gas guzzler.

When I move to a condo, nope, I won't miss it AT ALL :)