Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you need a positive test drive before taking delivery of your Model 3 pre-order?

Do you need a positive test drive before taking delivery of your Model 3 pre-order?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just can't imagine a scenario where that would be true. Particularly the "much more" part. $565 for an annual Tesla maintenance compares pretty favorably to regularly scheduled dealer maintenance (once the gratis oil changes run out) for any German brand I've ever owned.

As someone with a fond and sometimes wallet-crushing affinity for 6-10 year old German cars (let me tell you a little story about a 2002 Audi S4...), even an eventual battery replacement doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Tesla is actively working to design a "million mile powertrain" - the Germans just want to get you to the end of the lease so you'll buy another.

I have heard that time and time again on this forum and I just don't get it.
Every experience I have had personally and from friends, family etc. speaks a different language. They have and have had various Audis, BMWs, Mercs, VWs etc., and none had very high maintenance costs, no matter what age. Merc might be the most expensive in that respect, but nobody forces us to go to official dealer service centers anyway.
I would wager that the majority of German "average Joe" car owners get their cars serviced at so-called "free" service centers, which service your car to manufacturer specifications, yet at very reasonable prices.

But even if you got to the official dealer service centers, like I do for my BMW, costs are usually very reasonable. My car for example is 12 years old, and in that time I have spent less than 2K Euro on service in total.

My last A4 that I owned and kept for 7 years cost me maybe $1500 in out of pocket costs after the included maintenance was up. That included a timing belt change (newer ones are chain driven and go over 200K miles on the chain normally). My BMW includes all maintenance for 4 years / 50,000 miles.

I just can't really understand Tesla's thought that over 8 years of ownership their "low maintenance" car needs $4500 in "routine" servicing. Crazy.

That is something I don't understand either.
I just hope that the Model 3 service costs will be much lower.

As a person who is 6' 2", one of my concerns is placement of the rearview mirror. When I drive my wife's Accord sedan, I often have to duck to look under the rearview mirror. One example is when going around a clover-leaf exit - have to duck to see far enough ahead to make sure I'm not going to hit anyone. If my wife puts the passenger side sun visor down, I basically can't see out 1/2 of the windshield. Would like to at least sit in one to check this out, and would prefer a test drive. Will probably still confirm even without a test drive.

Another annoyance is in my Nissan Armada, I have to duck to look under the roof to see some stop lights if I'm the first vehicle in line. I don't believe this will be an issue in the Model 3 based on pics I've seen online.

For me, car reviews are a good starting point and provide a decent amount of background information about the car I'm researching [...]
Beyond that, reviews tell me nothing about whether I will be comfortable (individual ergonomics) or whether I'll like the ride quality, handling characteristics, brake feel, visibility, etc... Because all of those things are based on individual physical characteristics and an individual's set of values/biases/trades/experience. Ultimately, every car choice comes with trades.

Completely agree. I know how a Model S drives and handles, fits and feels (having test driven both a 2013 P85 and a 2016 P90DL), yet the Model 3 will be different in many ways. I always read reviews first, before I get a test drive. But I would not buy a car (any) without having at least sat in one and driven a little in it personally.

He said nothing about comfort, just rearview mirror placement.

One of the biggest complaints I've read on the Model S was for tall people the back sucked. The Model 3 was made with tall people in mind so it's reasonable they've also had tall people sit in the front as well. I'm sure the mirror is fine for a 6'2" individual.

Comfort, on the other hand, is subjective...

That's very cool - thanks for sharing this. The HEPA filter doesn't seem to be too expensive either. I saw somewhere that it was only $10 or $15 for the Model S and easy to swap out.

Can you find that source? If this is true that'd be awesome. Heck, I've paid like $40+ for the stupid Toyota dealer to replace an air filter because I was too lazy.

The Model 3 was made with tall people in mind so it's reasonable they've also had tall people sit in the front as well. I

Ironically, this is my biggest concern about the 3 because I am SHORT. Cars made for tall people sometimes end up being tough for short folks (have to sit too close to the wheel, can't get seat high enough to comfortably see the road, etc)

As long at it has the full 8 or 10 way power drivers seat and telescoping steering, it should be OK for me though. I am hoping for adjustable seat belts from the X, not what they did on the S.

I WILL be concerned if there is not a height adjustment on the seat. That would make me change my vote from No to Yes, I will need a test drive.

Personally I don't need a test drive, but I'd welcome one if available. However, that's after 3 years of Model S ownership. I wouldn't have bought my Model S without a test drive (which I was able to do after they had delivered only about 200 signature cars). My guess is that they'll have test drive cars out fairly early (although probably not before first deliveries). With the Model X they couldn't because of the extremely slow ramp and limited number of cars. However, if they are going to be building 10's of thousands of cars in the first few months I think they can afford to build a hundred or so test drive cars. Also, I'm pretty sure people will be able to delay configuring until they've had a chance to test drive, they just won't get their car quite as soon.