Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you need a positive test drive before taking delivery of your Model 3 pre-order?

Do you need a positive test drive before taking delivery of your Model 3 pre-order?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You'll be able to see how the car is put together. All it takes is one read around the S or X forums to read about body panels not lining up, things not functioning properly, etc. Things you'll definitely be able to see on a test drive or in the showroom. If the demo model displays these issues I would have no issue at all declining to configure mine when it becomes available and getting the extension to give them a little more experiance with building them.

I'm comfortable that I'll be able to test drive one and see it in the showroom long before I get mine since I'm an East Coast buyer and around 200,000ish in line.

I would rather have a late 2018 build than an earlier build anyway due to early production run issues that seem to plague all automakers. Could cost the tax credit though.

That's what reviews are for. I have never had an issue.
An iPhone gets good reviews, but so does a Samsung Galaxy. Same with clothing or houses. Sometimes it makes sense to try firsthand before commiting, esp with an over hyped product. If people don't trust their own ability to evaluate key product features for themselves, then yes it makes sense to let a pro magazine reviewer or blogger or manufacturer make the decision for them.

Reactions: voip-ninja
An iPhone gets good reviews, but so does a Samsung Galaxy. Same with clothing or houses. Sometimes it makes sense to try firsthand before commiting, esp with an over hyped product. If people don't trust their own ability to evaluate key product features for themselves, then yes it makes sense to let a pro magazine reviewer or blogger or manufacturer make the decision for them.

Like I said, my personal experience with doing research beforehand has not led me astray.

Your mileage/aptitude may vary.

That's what reviews are for. I have never had an issue.
Congratulations, you must be one of those statistically average people... either that, or you're not particularly picky.

Everybody's experience is different. For me, car reviews are a good starting point and provide a decent amount of background information about the car I'm researching, but it always seems like half of the reviewers can't even get basic facts about various cars straight (something that's clearly best left to directly referencing manufacturer information). Beyond that, reviews tell me nothing about whether I will be comfortable (individual ergonomics) or whether I'll like the ride quality, handling characteristics, brake feel, visibility, etc... Because all of those things are based on individual physical characteristics and an individual's set of values/biases/trades/experience. Ultimately, every car choice comes with trades.

Reactions: voip-ninja
Congratulations, you must be one of those statistically average people... either that, or you're not particularly picky.

Everybody's experience is different. For me, car reviews are a good starting point and provide a decent amount of background information about the car I'm researching, but it always seems like half of the reviewers can't even get basic facts about various cars straight (something that's clearly best left to directly referencing manufacturer information). Beyond that, reviews tell me nothing about whether I will be comfortable (individual ergonomics) or whether I'll like the ride quality, handling characteristics, brake feel, visibility, etc... Because all of those things are based on individual physical characteristics and an individual's set of values/biases/trades/experience. Ultimately, every car choice comes with trades.

The question was whether we, as individuals, needed a test drive. I answered that I didn't. I'm not sure why people have an opinion on my personal buying decisions/methodology.

I suppose I don't understand what sort of "serious issues" you could possibly become aware of in the course of a ten minute test drive.
Besides the seat fitting issue--those with bad backs really need to test this out, there's also back seat head and leg room.

Before I purchased a Model S the only concern I had was that it might have poor parking lot manners. Turns out this isn't an issue but it has been on some high powered cars I've driven in the past. (e.g. Press a small amount on the accelerator and jumps 3 m.)

That said, I would have purchased even if I didn't have an opportunity to test drive.

The brake fluid on a Model S is supposed to be changed every 25k miles or 2 years and the battery coolant every 62,5k or every 5 years, so those larger service visits will need to be done by Tesla if you choose to follow the maintenance schedule.

Hopefully, the Model 3 will change this paradigm, and DIY parts and fluids along with shop manuals will be generally available. Simple things like the above shouldn't require a trip to the SC.

Reactions: zenmaster
Tesla has already offered test rides to hundreds of people at the announcement festivities.

Lot of people gave very positive reviews, but, of course that will not be the finished product.

For previous models they offered people a choice. Lock in your purchase before waiting to drive the finalized car, or wait until you can get a test ride before locking in. Those locking in first get earliest delivery.

Being average height (worldwide, not US), I find that I fit in any vehicle pretty well. I do have back problems, but neither the Model S nor Model X seats give me trouble. In fact, despite complaints about the Model S first gen seats, I find them quite comfortable. I've obviously driven both of the cars I own and also have the benefit of having driven a good handful of loaners. Teslas drive nicely.

The thing that might make me consider a test drive would be if there's a Model S that competes favorably with the Model 3. I am looking for a smaller car, but if the 2017/18 Model S offers a more compelling package, I might have to compare the two before making good on my personal Model 3. I'll probably get my second one regardless as that's intended for a family member.

...Not remotely interested in a test drive...I've seen the car and know it's features for the most part. We can't really know the model 3 with a simple test drive anyway since it will be constantly evolving, over the years, into something else..

I'd worry about morons electrocuting themselves.... eventually there's going to be someone.

The people that I would be concerned about aren't morons...far from it. The people I worry about are first responders. EMTs, firefighters, police officers and such on the scene of an accident. If the battery or other electrical systems have been compromised they are putting themselves at great risk. If they are using the jaws of life or some other method of extricating a person from a vehicle and they happen to cut the wrong cable it could be catastrophic. I know that there was a lot of training that went on when the Volt came out and Chevrolet even donated several vehicles for just that purpose.

This is going to be part of the ongoing awareness that emergency workers are going to have to be careful of moving forward.

Dan

Personally, I wouldn't need a test drive in an actual Model 3 to go ahead with the purchase. I did that when I bought my Volt and was very happy with the outcome. I did however want to get a feel for Tesla's build quality and the general feel of their cars so I test drove a Model S at my local showroom. They were able to dial down the P90 so that it performed like a 70. This approximated the acceleration of a Model 3 as stated in the reveal. Gave me a much better understanding of a 5.4 second 0-60 feels like...aka PLENTY FOR ME!.

I will definitely not be spending any extra money exclusively to get a quicker car. The base will be fine for me. The only way I would get the quicker options is if they were bundled with options that I definitely will be getting (longer range, bigger battery, etc.).

Just my $.02

Dan