Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you normally use "CHILL" mode or "NORMAL" mode with your model Y?

Do you in general use "CHILL" mode or "NORMAL" in your model Y

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For fun here's a dyno plot of various TQ, Speed, and Power from Eivissa from this forum.

Chill is super tame (grey line)

1710966097420.png

Interesting!

This shows the difference in torque between the LR and LR+AB is greater around 45-60 MPH than at other speeds, which supports claims in some reviews that said AB felt more different above 40-50 MPH than it did off the line.

Also interesting is that above about 50 MPH, there's not much difference between the LR+AB and Performance.

Do you know if all vehicles were tested at a similar state of charge since that is also a factor?

Reactions: hyp36rmax
Interesting!

This shows the difference in torque between the LR and LR+AB is greater around 45-60 MPH than at other speeds, which supports claims in some reviews that said AB felt more different above 40-50 MPH than it did off the line.

Also interesting is that above about 50 MPH, there's not much difference between the LR+AB and Performance.

Do you know if all vehicles were tested at a similar state of charge since that is also a factor?
Good question! @eivissa might be better to answer that. He did a solid analysis via Canbus.

Here's his research: [Wiki] Model 3 / Model Y - Motoren / Drive Units

• Helpful
Reactions: zroger73
Yes, I always supercharge the cars to 100%, so when testing they are at 98-99% and +50°C in the pack. Though these Tests are done with European cars, so we are talking hairpin drive units in the back and LG battery pack in the Long Range. US cars should have up to 20kW more power in this case, as you still get Panasonic NCA packs (mostly).

Depends on how many people in car. 99% of the time Chill mode is just fine. If 4 or 5-up then I may move to Standard as the car can feel a little sluggish. Standard with just me can be literally painful and power too ‘on-off’/binary - crazily fast, and that’s without acceleration boost.

Assuming you're not joking, yes. :) It reduces maximum acceleration and also improves efficiency in cooler weather.

You can improve the efficiency of the cabin heating by reducing your selected acceleration mode. This allows the heat pump system to take more heat from the Battery to efficiently heat the cabin, instead of maintaining the Battery's ability to provide peak acceleration performance. This helps to maximize driving efficiency in colder weather. Note that when subsequently increasing the acceleration mode, the Battery requires time to warm up before the increased level of acceleration is available.
Sorry, totally joking. We tried chill, normal, sport modes early on in our Model 3’s ownership…preferred the normal mode for all of our driving and have left it there. May have to look at trying them all again assuming some changes have been made in the different modes since mid-2018.

But I do appreciate the explanation and the time you took to provide it. Had I been serious it would have been most helpful. I’ll have to reconsider my approach to humor.

• Funny
Passengers hate any mode that is not Chill in my experience, especially in the Performance versions. I use S3XY buttons and drive around in Chill all the time. A button behind the steering wheel switches to sport for overtaking or when I get on the Autobahn. It is like a Boost Button, that prevents me from getting used to the actual power of the car and without doing anything I am always starting my journeys in Chill/Comfort for parking and driving around town. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

Yesterday, I was on a two-lane road behind a vehicle that was traveling 45 MPH in a 55 MPH zone. I did not feel like Chill Mode would have allowed me to pass safely within the window of opportunity, so I temporarily switched to Sport Mode and floored the accelerator pedal at 45 MPH with a 70% charge on a 70°F day. Considering I've spend 15,999 of my Model Y's 16,000 miles in Chill Mode, I was taken aback by the acceleration - almost brutal and dizzying. And, this was in a Model Y LR+AB - I can only imagine how acceleration feels in a Model S Plaid. I've driven "fast" cars before like a Challenger SRT Hellcat and AMG GT63 S, but there is lots of noise associated with the force in those vehicles - similar rates of acceleration hit differently in a quiet EV. :)

Reactions: hyp36rmax
I normally use Chill Mode but I have the S3XY Buttons "kick down" feature enabled so it automatically goes into Normal Mode when I floor it. I also have a button to toggle between Chill and Normal. For me, Chill Mode is still plenty fast.
I need that Kick Down mode! I have another thread on here somewhere where I talk about how Tesla needs a “Chill+” mode where if you floor it, you get the full acceleration, but otherwise it’s chill mode.

Anyway, first year or two with my Tesla I was in Normal mode. Now I’m in chill 99% of the time. It’s easier on passengers and the tires. But it sure is still fun to blast it in Normal mode!

Reactions: Richh001 and SR-75
Based on this post, I've changed after a year from normal to chill. Two reasons: 1) maybe less wear on my tires (they're wearing fast), and 2) the times I have passengers, they complain they get nauseous from the acceleration. I'm not noticing a large change in acceleration, so it's fine in chill mode.

Reactions: hyp36rmax and SR-75
I need that Kick Down mode! I have another thread on here somewhere where I talk about how Tesla needs a “Chill+” mode where if you floor it, you get the full acceleration, but otherwise it’s chill mode.

Anyway, first year or two with my Tesla I was in Normal mode. Now I’m in chill 99% of the time. It’s easier on passengers and the tires. But it sure is still fun to blast it in Normal mode!
That's how the ECON mode in a Honda works. When ECON mode is on, the accelerator pedal becomes less sensitive from 0% to about 70%. From about 70% to 100%, the accelerator pedal responds the same as when ECON mode is off. This allows for smoother, more efficient driving, but still gives you full power when needed such as for passing.

Because Teslas are so powerful and responsive, applying this same logic might result in the vehicle getting away from you unexpectedly around that 70% crossover point if the power suddenly jumped from 40% to 70% with very little pedal travel at that crossover point.

Reactions: hyp36rmax and SR-75
Because Teslas are so powerful and responsive, applying this same logic might result in the vehicle getting away from you unexpectedly around that 70% crossover point if the power suddenly jumped from 40% to 70% with very little pedal travel at that crossover point.
The S3XY kick down feature does not have this problem. In fact, you can adjust when it kicks in depending on the position of the accelerator. I first set it at 100% and it did a nearly perfect (though unintended) imitation of turbo lag. I'd floor it and half a second later the acceleration would boost.

That was neat and brought back memories of my Saab 900 Turbo, but it was unsatisfying so I moved the threshold to 80% which got rid of the lag. It's a lot of fun.

My favorite S3XY feature is "continuous autopilot". If you manually change lines on autopilot, this feature re-enables autosteer when you get to the new lane. Previously, changing lanes with AP was slightly annoying, now I look forward to it!

The S3XY kick down feature does not have this problem. In fact, you can adjust when it kicks in depending on the position of the accelerator. I first set it at 100% and it did a nearly perfect (though unintended) imitation of turbo lag. I'd floor it and half a second later the acceleration would boost.

That was neat and brought back memories of my Saab 900 Turbo, but it was unsatisfying so I moved the threshold to 80% which got rid of the lag. It's a lot of fun.

My favorite S3XY feature is "continuous autopilot". If you manually change lines on autopilot, this feature re-enables autosteer when you get to the new lane. Previously, changing lanes with AP was slightly annoying, now I look forward to it!

This is cool, had no idea S3XY buttons enabled that much adjustability. Turbo lag!!! I still own a turbo car with a larger turbo, we tuned it with a faster spooler and mid range attack mode on curvier roads. It's still a blast to drive. Family prefers the Tesla for some reason hahaha.

Reactions: BitJam
I test drove a MYLR again today and tried normal and chill modes. My wife wasn’t with me and I drove the car for about 30 minutes in lighter traffic, so I had more time to experiment. Normal is plenty fast for me, no real need to push for the MYP. I tried chill and it seemed like it would be good for normal around town driving. Unfortunately I was still in chill when merging in the freeway, I expected more power than the car was giving at that moment and ended up cutting someone off. I had done a couple full throttle pulls earlier in the test drive. The setup discussed from S3XY sounds like a perfect solution for drivability.