Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you prefer Creep On or Off?

Creep On or Off?

• On

Votes: 142 31.1%
  • Off

Votes: 315 68.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's been addressed. If you look underneath the steering wheel on the floor there are two pedals; the one on the left will stop any roll. Just need to press it once.
Really?! I didn't know that!:eek:
Joke aside, even if I use the vehicle hold on uphill with creep off, as soon as I start pressing 'gas' pedal the car wants to go backward. I just don't like that feeling. Doesn't happen with creep on. Also it's a lot easier to maneuver parking around tight spot or in garage with creep on. Less room for error too.

Gravity, it's the law...

Press the accelerator pedal harder.

Or turn on creep. You can drive so much more relaxed with creep on. You drive the same on hill as you do flat. No rushing to get back to the brake if you only want to move an inch.

I think the non creepers think it’s a sin to use it because ICE works that way. It has nothing to do with being lazy and not wanting to change. And it has zero impact on range. You could argue it’s even quicker off the line because the system will start the motion before you even reach the gas pedal.

You can also do hold by pressing brake harder.

It’s a win win all around with it on.

My friend dented his trunk the first week cause his car unexpectedly rolled back into a mail box.

There is no downside to having it on.

Let's be clear ICE's do not work that way, only automatics ICEs work that way. (manuals will happily roll backwards)

No disagreement there. I’ve had one car in our household be stick for last 40 years. On extremely steep hills I’d use auto hold on my newer sticks. It was easier on the clutch and smoother and safer to use it. So even manuals now offer no rollback option now.

Agreed! This would be an awesome feature! It would allow you to turn creep off but for people that were uncomfortable with the car rolling the opposite direction it would give them a way to avoid that.

I would probably not use it, but it sounds like a lot would.

I wonder if this could be done with the current M3 hardware? Does it have a way of knowing which direction the wheels are rolling? Or does all it get is speed of movement?

Automatic will also allow you to roll back if the hill is steep enough - I have couple of places in the vicinity that I need to be aware of this.

Reactions: JeffK
Not true. I have several hills steep enough where creep will not prevent the rolling back. Creep off on the other hand behaves the same way no matter the incline.

Good point. Consistent behavior is preferred over something that works sometimes and not others.

This is all personal preference. There are pros and cons to creep on or off. Just understand what you get with each setting and decide what works for you. Some of the comments on this thread are amusing where people think there is some sort of deep insight into people's psychology based on choosing one option over the other. I personally haven't gone with creep off just because it's different from ICE cars and I can't imagine that more than a handful of other people have done this either.

I like the car going when I hit the accelerator and not going when I don't. There is a robust automatic hold feature that isn't perfect however neither is depending on the behavior of creep on to keep you in place.

My parting comment is that whatever option you have chosen I'd suggest that you make sure to give the other option a chance over a few days to see what it is like. I started out strongly disliking creep off but on the advice of another EV driver tried it for a week. I ended up never going back.

Good point. Consistent behavior is preferred over something that works sometimes and not others.

This is all personal preference. There are pros and cons to creep on or off. Just understand what you get with each setting and decide what works for you. Some of the comments on this thread are amusing where people think there is some sort of deep insight into people's psychology based on choosing one option over the other. I personally haven't gone with creep off just because it's different from ICE cars and I can't imagine that more than a handful of other people have done this either.

I like the car going when I hit the accelerator and not going when I don't. There is a robust automatic hold feature that isn't perfect however neither is depending on the behavior of creep on to keep you in place.

My parting comment is that whatever option you have chosen I'd suggest that you make sure to give the other option a chance over a few days to see what it is like. I started out strongly disliking creep off but on the advice of another EV driver tried it for a week. I ended up never going back.

I bet those with creep on are significantly more likely to have an AOL email address.

After having read both sides of this debated ad nauseam both here on TMC and most recently on reddit, I feel the need to implore people to be a little kinder to others regardless of their preference. Ultimately this is a setting that I feel people need to consider within the frame of reference of what they feel is best for THEM and their comfort level, rather than worry about what others insist they should do. I don't believe there is a right answer to this setting that fits all people equally. Ultimately, try both carefully and choose whatever you think will make you enjoy your Tesla more. Nothing else really matters.

It's insults like this that prove my prior point. Thanks for confirming it.

It's not an insult it's a theoretical guess. Should it be statistically true I don't see how that fact would be any more of an insult than saying those that use gmail or other email addresses may more likely turn off creep. So now everyone is offended? Wow, talk about a serious thread with high sensitivity levels. I think some here need to watch the South Park "Smug" episode. Just substitute "Tesla" for "Hybrid".

It's not an insult it's a theoretical guess. Should it be statistically true I don't see how that fact would be any more of an insult than saying those that use gmail or other email addresses may more likely turn off creep. So now everyone is offended? Wow, talk about a serious thread with high sensitivity levels. I think some here need to watch the South Park "Smug" episode. Just substitute "Tesla" for "Hybrid".

I took it as insult and I'm sure many others did as well. And I'll bet there is no correlation.
I won't stoop to your level and continue this...

Hey, why argue over preferences! I am just glad the software allows both functions. I am glad they are not forcing down our throats someone else's preferences. We are all different and there are pros and cons to each choice. I am glad some of you guys are not the one making software decisions because sounds like you want to force your preferences to everyone. I am just glad we have good choices and I like to try out each feature to see what is better for me and also to expand my horizons sometimes. However, at the end of the day, I also make choices based on my own experiences. Along the way sometimes I make different choices down the line.

I have creep on so the car doesn't roll around in the opposite direction of what the drivetrain is set to. If Tesla had some automatic brake assist (not brake-hold) that applies brakes when car rolls backwards in D or forwards in R then I'll turn creep off.

I bet those with creep on are significantly more likely to have an AOL email address.

I'm willing to become a statistic: I have creep on and use a Yahoo email. I actually work in tech and use nearly every email service but my primary (oldest) is my Yahoo one.

It's insults like this that prove my prior point. Thanks for confirming it.
Although I didn't make that comment I don't think its an insult. Some people take up change harder than others. This can get in the way sometimes of adopting a better way of doing things. The AOL crowd represent those who stick with something inferior because they are more comfortable with the crap they know rather then go outside their comfort zone and find something that's better.

I think creep represents this phenomenon. No one would select creep if automatic transmissions didn't exhibit this peculiar behavior in the past. But it is comforting for some. Your kids, if they even will get a change to drive, with autonomy around the corner, will never desire creep because at its core it's intuitive. Having a car do stuff inconsistently (based on grade) without user input is quite distressful unless you have been ingrained with this odd behavior. The brake hold behavior is a lot more consistent and intuitive.