Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you think a Premium Interior Standard Range Model 3 will be available by June 2019?

Do you think a Premium Interior Standard Range Model 3 will be available by June 2019?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think the timing will depend on creating necessary efficiencies, I think it will depend on the degree of demand for higher margin vehicles in the opened markets. So if your question is coming from a potential buyer, I'd say the odds are very, very low that a Pennsylvania-based non-owner of an S/X will be able to take delivery of a SR PUP by June 30, 2019. If your question is coming from a TSLA stockholder wondering how quickly Tesla will deliver further production cost efficiency, to me the answer is yes the costs will be lower by June 30, 2019 due to both increased output and decreased cost of inputs.

I don't think the timing will depend on creating necessary efficiencies, I think it will depend on the degree of demand for higher margin vehicles in the opened markets. So if your question is coming from a potential buyer, I'd say the odds are very, very low that a Pennsylvania-based non-owner of an S/X will be able to take delivery of a SR PUP by June 30, 2019. If your question is coming from a TSLA stockholder wondering how quickly Tesla will deliver further production cost efficiency, to me the answer is yes the costs will be lower by June 30, 2019 due to both increased output and decreased cost of inputs.
I wonder how much of the profit margin is eaten up by shipping overseas. I’m hoping they open up orders for reservation holders once it makes sense economically for them to make them available.

• Funny
Reactions: adaptabl
My kinda "gut feeling" is SR PUP deliveries at the wire for June 30 tax credit cut (I think they meant to do this for Dec 31 this year originally but couldn't make it happen so they invented the MR), and finally the 35k base interior version at the wire for Dec 31 end-of-credit deliveries.

But if, say, overseas demand for higher trims ends up being crazy high that might well get pushed back.

I think we won’t see a SR PUP until the second half of 2019. They are going to focus on foreign markets and I just don’t think they will have a compelling reason to do so before then.

I do feel like it’s still on their radar because of Elon’s recently email stating the manufacturing cost is currently $38k. That seems to be quite a long way off but I’m jooong they’ll consider the PUP and EAP profit potential as well. I’m guessing they have an idea of general % that adds EAP.

I think there's still a possibility the SR with PUP could make its debut by mid-2019, if only to allow hold-outs waiting for SR to take advantage of at least part of the Federal tax credit. Similar actions were seen at the end of the 2nd quarter this year to push out the 200,000th US sale to the 3rd quarter and in the surprise introduction of the MR in October. Of course, they'll need to get that new battery pack completed and tooled up for volume production before then, but some of the other components for the SR apparently have already made their way into the MR, based on some sleuthing here of the parts catalog.

On the other hand, I think the introduction date of the non-PUP Model 3 (SR, MR or LR) is open-ended at this point. This requires retooling or adding assembly lines to produce cars with a different roof, seat material, sound system, etc. With worldwide sales launching next year, the pent-up demand for the Model 3 may preclude introducing so many new variables into the mix that it would slow down production.

Ischhhh...you are not really encouraging guys. Half of us think it's gonna be second half of 2019 for standard battery. Close to 3 1/2 years after reservation...o_O
Yes, I'm the "masses" and still waiting.

I was going to order the MidRange but circumstances beyond my control have forced me to wait for the standard range. I waited in line on 3/31/2016 with hope that the full tax credit would pay for most of the PUP interior and EAP. It now looks like those may not be covered with the full credit. The good news - I may be able to make up the difference with savings. I'll have to see how it goes.

Line waiting customer waiting for the SR - hang in there! Also - see if you can save for the PUP. I'm guessing that will be the first version of SR available. So plan on $40K for PUP and $45K for EAP (if you want it).

still a possibility the SR with PUP

This somehow sounds easier to me, I mean they removed cells to make the medium range

I have to say I wonder what a 3 w/o the upgrades would be like. I think the interior is pretty good but it's not opulent or gold lined so what will lesser cost interiors be like? No rear heated seats I guess, less positions or no power in front seats? No glass roof (what a shame and also seems like one of the more challenging bits in the manufacturing line for Tesla). More basic sound system.. what else?

Also I lived in PA winters and I'd want the biggest battery I could manage to deal with the cold weather times of the year.. that's just me maybe.

PUP is the following-

• Premium seating and cabin materials with open pore wood décor. This is instead of the textile seating in the non-premium model.
  • Heated seats. All models offer a dual-zone climate control system, but this offers added warmth.
  • Two rear USB ports. This is in addition to the two USB ports in the front center console of every Model 3, as well as a 12-volt power outlet.
  • Twelve-way, power adjustable front seats, steering column and side mirrors, with custom driver profiles.
  • Premium audio system. The upgraded version offers more power, tweeters, surround speakers and subwoofer.
  • Tinted glass roof, packing ultraviolet and infrared protection.
  • Premium side mirrors, with auto dimming, power folding, and heating. All side mirrors are power-adjustable, but this adds extra convenience.
  • LED fog lamps.
  • A center console with covered storage, as well as docking for two smartphones. The non-premium center console only offers open storage in the center console.
So basically the seating, roof, mirrors, phone area, stereo, and fog lamps all get downgrades (or lack of upgrades depending on your perspective)

that said- they might decide to include one or more of those anyway if the MFG trouble isn't worth the cost savings of removing it.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
PUP is the following-

• Premium seating and cabin materials with open pore wood décor. This is instead of the textile seating in the non-premium model.
  • Heated seats. All models offer a dual-zone climate control system, but this offers added warmth.
  • Two rear USB ports. This is in addition to the two USB ports in the front center console of every Model 3, as well as a 12-volt power outlet.
  • Twelve-way, power adjustable front seats, steering column and side mirrors, with custom driver profiles.
  • Premium audio system. The upgraded version offers more power, tweeters, surround speakers and subwoofer.
  • Tinted glass roof, packing ultraviolet and infrared protection.
  • Premium side mirrors, with auto dimming, power folding, and heating. All side mirrors are power-adjustable, but this adds extra convenience.
  • LED fog lamps.
  • A center console with covered storage, as well as docking for two smartphones. The non-premium center console only offers open storage in the center console.
So basically the seating, roof, mirrors, phone area, stereo, and fog lamps all get downgrades (or lack of upgrades depending on your perspective)

that said- they might decide to include one or more of those anyway if the MFG trouble isn't worth the cost savings of removing it.

So you are saying less options than a base Hyundai Elantra.

I would say Cloth seats,No heated rear seats, No wood dash, No rear USB ports, No memory seats and mirrors, No folding mirrors, A few less speakers, No glass roof, No fog lights, Open console.