Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you think Tesla is limiting the MYP's launch performance to not compete with the M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they would swap out to lighter wheels on the MYP that extra HP would be more noticeable. I didn't see any testing on the MY LR with acceleration boost. Friend has the MY LR with the boost and it removed that sluggish take off. I wonder how close the boost comes to the MY performance model.

@Freewheeler, a belated thank you for your response and photos earlier in this thread. Somehow I missed it until now!

As it turned out I went with gunmetal also, though I went 20“. Still pretty bumpy so I’m sure you’re riding a bit smoother…

C412E67B-97D2-4730-B014-03150B6A48C3.jpeg

I had hope for that too but then I thought they might do that with the better platform of the MIT MY. I wish they would have come out with a real performance edition.
Curious, what more did you want from the MYP? It's noticeably quicker than the MYLR and looks/handles better d/t the lowered suspension (at least from my test drives and comparing my MYP to my friend's MYLR). Being in So. Cal., I like the looks of the 21 inch Uberturbines, although my opinion would likely change if I lived in a colder climate with "real" winters.

But I do agree with @Ruffles that the MYP could benefit from a more aggressive launch like the M3P. And in an ideal world, I would love for the MYP to also have an AB option.

One of the few times I agree with Car and Driver but they called the MYP "quick but clumsy". I don't hate the MYP, it was what I first ordered. I just felt it was a big letdown compared to the M3P.

At least they didn't go crazy with the tires on the M3P. The 21's add no value that I can see for the MYP. The staggered setup made no sense to me and then you can't easily rotate the tires. The suspension isn't near as sophisticated as it could be. It was harsh on small bumps and crashed into the bump stops on bigger ones.

The only discernable advantage, now backed up by my Dragy testing, is the MYP is basically only quicker than my MYLR7AB up to maybe 30-40 mph. When I look at the acceleration times from 30-70 mph, my boosted car is the same as the MYP. Mine is the 7 seater so it weighs more than the 5 seater.

If they had made the MYP with a better (lighter not almost 65/70 pound) wheel/tire combo, better suspension and track mode, I would have kept my order. The brake upgrade is just wider rotors, calipers are supposedly the same, so that is of limited benefit to how I use my car. The 21's kill the acceleration of the car.

The MYP was good enough to sell them, but not as good as it should/could have been. Look at the approach BMW does with its M cars. That would be a good model to emulate. Don't just bolt on pedals, wheels, spoiler, pedal covers, and put more thought into it. It was a cheap and dirty upgrade that I think was a missed opportunity but maybe good enough for the masses.

Believe what you want. It is all good. See my post here. Or read the entire thread.

See what C&D posted for their 50-70 times for their MYP here.

Now come back and let's talk. It isn't like I bought the MYLR because I couldn't afford the MYP and now have buyer's remorse. I had the MYP on order originally. I did a lot of research on both cars. I looked at the M3P vs M3 LR AB and from the bits and pieces I could put together they were pretty close to heads up after the initial dig. Same holds true here for the MYP and MY LR AB. I am not even running a high SOC which most of the mags do to get the best times. I am running the equivalent of no-prep runs. I take my car out of the garage SOC typically around 75%, cold batteries, nothing warmed up and make a couple passes and go home. No pre-heating the batteries, just coming off a charging session, >90% SOC, etc.

My 30-50, 50-70 and as a function of those times, 30-70 are matching what C&D got for their MYP. Most likely on a fully charged battery. Mine never has been charged over 81% other than when I got it. I am running the heavier 7 passenger version than the 5 seater. If my car was lighter, I'd likely beat the times with my current SOC that C&D got for the MYP in the 30-70 mph range.

So believe what you want. I am happy with the money I saved and have the performance where I need it the most. My life isn't filled with 1/4 mile runs every day. If a MYP is going to beat my MYLR7AB from 40 mph up, it clearly isn't going to be much, if at all, if equivalent SOC. Maybe if someone got a really fast one, it might, but other than one of those outliers, I doubt.

Here is an interesting test in the UK for the M3 variants but no AB version (M3P, M3 LR, M3 SR). What is interesting, at certain speeds and above, the M3 LR was pulling the M3P when totally stock. In case I didn't get it to the right the section, start around 6:36 into the video and watch to the end. Pretty conclusively shows the stock M3 LR pulling the M3P. This video is when I realized the MY LR with boost would be a better option. If the stock LR could pull the MYP from a certain speed up, all I needed to do was close that initial gap a bit. Voila! AB does that and saves me 8k that I am putting toward my Model S.

They are both great cars and a lot of fun to drive. For some the MYP might be worth the extra $, for me the MY LR AB made a lot more sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saxgod
I read your thread.... What I saw was a lot of speculation and bench racing. Battery levels were not shown either, "90% on this car and similar on the others." Guarantee there was a significant difference in SOC.

They were also comparing different years... see the comment from the video you posted:
"he reason the 2021 Performance lost to the 2020 Long Range at higher speeds in this video is because for the 2021 Model 3 refresh, Tesla changed the battery temperature profile for increased efficiency to reduce heating the battery. However, that means the 2021 Model 3's generally have lower battery temperatures while driving, which significantly reduces performance in cold weather and lower battery levels. The 2018-2020 Model 3s do not have this issue. You can see more about this in the video below. This is a big issue that I hope Tesla fix with an OTA update."

Again, you said C/D "most likely on a full battery." Unless the times were at the same day, track, SOC, etc it's bench racing.

Not sure why you feel the need to justify your purchase of the LR AB vs the P, its a fine car. But it's not a performance, nor is it as fast. Performance also has other upgrades than just speed.

Can it hang at certain speeds? Yes. Higher the speeds, the less of a difference between the 2 cars. Regardless all Teslas get "slow" at higher speeds.

Since I can't say definitively, what C&D did, I would assume they would have the car topped off as they have a lot of experience testing cars. I am honest enough to admit what I don't know and maybe speculating about BUT their times closely coincide with what Tesla claims. To turn this around, show me that it WASN'T at full charge? It matched Tesla's claims so it must have been pretty well set up. The video I provided wasn't even a boosted car. Look at the lowly SR, it wasn't totally blown away by either one at higher speed. It was hanging pretty close.

Where is your data? Show me what your car did? I am showing what I did. Show me your runs with your car with Dragy? I have run a lot of runs with Dragy on a lot of different MYs and M3s. Here are some runs from an M3P below.

Look at the 30-50, an 50-70 times. The M3P will crush the MYP at any speed pretty much. Yet that car is only 0.5 seconds quicker than my boosted MYLR. I also included a 1/4mile but it isn't valid but it is pretty close to what the car ran. The car was fresh off the SUC. I am only off the times of the M3P by about 0.3 seconds in each interval. If you've ever driven a M3P, you'll know the MYP can't even remotely hang with it.

The reason I use Dragy and call out the specific parameters for my runs, is so it isn't bench racing. Your approach is likely saying you can't compare times from different race tracks. Since altitude doesn't really affect them, there isn't too much else to worry about other than temps. You say Teslas get slow at higher speeds, apparently that might happen sooner than you think. So based on your own words, and paraphrasing a bit, Teslas get slow, less of a difference between the 2 cars at higher speeds. So following that logic, if you are driving fast, even less of a reason to buy MYP over MYLR. They will both be equally slow at high speeds.

IMG_EB562B9FD697-1.jpeg
IMG_DA54F938AA55-1.jpeg
IMG_DD5542CC9311-1.jpeg

I don't hate the MYP. As I mentioned, and can easily prove, I ordered the MYP before I changed my order bought the MY LR. After doing a lot of research, and driving them back to back, I realized there wasn't as much advantage to buying the MYP over the MY LR. There is nothng you can'd do better than what Tesla did on the MYP to the MY LR other than the motor boost. With the acceleration boost on the LR, you get pretty damn close other than maybe the 0-30 or 40 mph hit. Not saying the LR will beat it in that range, but the faster you go after that, the less of advantage, if any, the MYP has.

Everything else is pretty easy bolt-on stuff that I could do easily do in high school. You can almost get the performance of the MYP for a lot less money if you are so inclined. I didn't feel like paying an extra 8k to also get ugly wheels that I'd need to sell for something worthwhile, mediocre suspension that if I wanted a real performance car I'd need to replace anyway, a little spoiler and wider rotors. If they still made the stealth version, I likely would have gone with it. The PUP makes it a worse car for my purposes than a stealth would have been and less stuff to toss.

That is my subjective opinion. Some people love how the MYP is. Maybe I have more discriminating taste. Maybe I just expect more. Thankfully there is an option for boost for the LR. I wouldn't have been happy with the stock acceleration even if it is my wife's car. She'll is happy with it and didn't want the MYP because of the ride quality, and I'll use it to tow with. I'll drive the S when it comes and it is win/win.

Thanks, I do.

The wheels are ugly and heavy on the MYP. Ugly is subjective, heavy isn't. I think the wheels on my 1/2 ton pickup might have weighed less than the rears on a MYP. ;-) Apparently enough business for MY suspension in general for MPP, UPP, and Redwood to offer suspension kits.

I'd extend my comments to the mediocre suspension on the MY LR as well. Just I expected better on the MYP for the extra $ spent. I am not one of those who see rainbows and unicorns when I see Teslas. I see a car that can be improved and to do so you must see the deficiencies.

What I do know? I was an engineer at a prominent Japanese car company. I have an engineering degree. I worked for companies like Rolls Royce, Honda, Kawasaki, etc. You're entitled to your opinions as I am mine. I just wish my expectations were so low I could be so incredibly impressed by the MYP like you.

What I do know? I was an engineer at a prominent Japanese car company. I have an engineering degree. I worked for companies like Rolls Royce, Honda, Kawasaki, etc. You're entitled to your opinions as I am mine. I just wish my expectations were so low I could be so incredibly impressed by the MYP like you.

You must be an absolute blast at parties.

For $8,000 difference I think its quite silly to get the LR if you upgrade the wheels and get the acceleration boost. Add induction wheels $2,000, Add acceleration boost $2,000... and you still don't get the projector headlights, Suspension, Brakes or the CF spoiler. 82kwh battery? Not sure if that is a performance only item too.

enjoy your car, but stop trying to convince yourself its faster than a P... its not 😂

Yowza, guys! Click the Chill Mode!

I have a Dragy on order, although I have to go off-island I'll try to do some runs and see what I come up with. I just have to find a place I feel comfortable running a 1/4 mile (cops around here are brutal). I'm stock except around 200# less from the wheel/tire swap. Regarding preferences, the guy I sold the Ubers to was an MY LR AB owner who was dying to have them and pay a LOT for the set.

I'm curious if weight has any appreciable impact on acceleration, or if the CPU just tells the motors to follow a specific RPM profile.

[Edit: Removed redundant info from previous post]

Last edited:
Reactions: ucsdsig