Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dodged a bullet today.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You saw it coming and you inched forward trying to force him to stop.

The truck was driving slow, certainly nowhere near 45mph. That's why it took so long for it to enter the frame.

Drama...

It took a similar sized tuck traveling the opposite direction two seconds to clear the intersection at speed. The light was green for 4 seconds, allowing the truck to have cleared the intersection twice over at speed. At a lesser speed, it takes the truck about 1 second to go the approximate width of the Model 3. There appears to be 1, 1.5 lanes to the left of the Model 3, so 2-3 seconds to get to the point of entering the frame. That would put the light being red for a full second when the truck blew through the already red light.

Running a red light is running a red light.

Illegal...

So when something like this happens do you need to wait >= one minute after the event to hit the record button to get it saved on the USB drive? Seems like I read somewhere that the recording will not include the current minute of the video.

• Informative
Reactions: JeffnReno
Rookie question about the dash cam.

If something like that happen and you want to keep that footage.

Do you remove the flash drive immediately. So it will not be deleted?

No! Don't do that - this will almost certainly corrupt the last file that was recorded (the last minute). Instead, tap the dashcam icon at the top of the screen, and it will mark the last 10 minutes for saving.

What options do I have if both USB ports are being used to charge phones?

People have reported successfully using a small USB hub to get additional ports.

Reactions: YOMAMA
It requires either a thumb drive or other USB storage device formatted as FAT32 plugged into one of the front USB ports in the console. Once you have that, an icon will show up on the top of your screen toward the right side. The icon shows a red dot when it is recording. You can turn it off by holding the icon until you see a flash under your finger.
It records in increments for an hour I think before it begins overwriting. At any time you can touch the icon to save the previous 10 minuted of video that will not be over written.

Unfortunately, it requires AP 2.5, not 2.0. My X100 was produced in summer of 17, just before 2.5 came out, and I am unable to use the feature :(.

• Informative
Reactions: Tron 3
Yeah. This idiot ran the red light as my green arrow came on. Thankfully I saw him out of the corner of my eye and hit the brakes. Thank you, TeslaCam.

You should submit a complaint via the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration website.
Just choose Consumer (Motorists witnessing safety problem) and fill out the online form, it looks like there is a place to upload the video file.

HomeConsumer.jpg

It works. I have one in my 3 right now. But it does seem to affect the charge speed of whichever phone has its cable plugged into the hub along with the USB drive.
I just got a notice of delivery for the Nomad wireless charger for the Model 3 (Wireless Charger) and went to look at the specs regarding how I'd work the USB into everything. I don't know how I missed this unless they added it post V9 update:

• 2 USB splitters included to enable Dashcam, USB audio, and an additional powered USB port
How do I use a USB splitter with my TM3 charger? - NOMAD® | Knowledge Base