Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does a Tesla need to “warm up?”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't preconditioning the battery before departure like "warming up" the car? I understand that to get the most efficiency out of the battery during regen braking the cells need to be at their optimal temperature and preconditioning does that. I'm not 100% sure though. I could be completely wrong on that.

Reactions: Esha628
warming up or pre conditioning doesn't make the car more efficient. It increases range by using wall power to get things up to temp before you set out on your trip. Unless you need max range it isn't necessary.

Now if you want to be comfortable or if you need to defrost windows etc. then you will need to "warm up". Otherwise just get in it and drive.
💯 😎

If you live in a very cold climate, preconditioning the battery and cabin will help battery power, regen, and range. If you live in the mild or the south, just drive it.

Reactions: theothertom
Preconditioning while plugged in results in more efficient driving because the passenger cabin is already at the desired temperature and the battery may have been partially warmed. Especially for short trips of less than ~25 minutes the Tesla Model Y will not have use as much energy while driving to maintain a comfortable cabin temperature.

Preconditioning while plugged in results in more efficient driving because the passenger cabin is already at the desired temperature and the battery may have been partially warmed. Especially for short trips of less than ~25 minutes the Tesla Model Y will not have use as much energy while driving to maintain a comfortable cabin temperature.
Right but the energy used is still the same. Your just taking it from the wall instead of the battery. What I'm trying to say is that it's not more energy efficient to precondition the car.

Yes you get better Regen and performance from the car if the battery is warmed. I point this out because many folks think your using less energy which is not the case.

I'm talking about energy efficiency and your talking about operational efficiency.

I will precondition when it's really cold but that's about cabin comfort.

Reactions: jcanoe and SkyDog
I would say it does have to warm up for peak performance.
Interestingly I always found the car was faster when it was warming up for a super charge.
Now, with track mode, you can hear the battery go into the same warming cycle so we know its true.

Preconditioning the Tesla Model Y does not warm the battery as much as in earlier releases of the Tesla software. Preconditioning to ensure that there is some regenerative braking available is not needed in most cases as blended friction braking can be enabled. When blended braking is enabled the Tesla Model Y will slow when you lift your foot from the accelerator pedal even when a cold battery snowflake icon displayed the same as if the battery was fully warmed.

Preconditioning for longer than needed to reach the desired cabin temperature and some additional minutes for the electric heating grid icon to disappear from the Tesla app just wastes energy.

To fully warm the battery you must drive for a period of time, else Precondition for Supercharging or activate Track mode (only available in the Performance Model Y.)