Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does any other owners out there think it is a bit strange that they can't readily access history of SW updates to their vehicle?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. Why would you want to see a list of all previous software updates on your Tesla? You can't see that for your iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, LG Smart TVs, etc...

Only the macOS keeps an list of each previous update for some reasons, but it's not easily found. Apple Symbol from the upper left of the screen, About This Mac, System Report, and then scroll down to the Software section and click on Installation. Give it about 1 minutes, and it will show you every single software update you've every performed (it does not include software updates initiated by the software itself).

As a iPhone / Apple Watch developer, I'm also keeping my Xcode up to date, and sure enough it show me every update, but the data isn't very useful.

Screen Shot 2021-03-31 at 9.51.27 AM.png

Upvote 0
I've tracked mine two different ways. One is thorough EV-FW as @RichardL mentioned. That's less about tracking it for me as to add it to their crowd sourced data as at times helpful to see which releases are getting limited versus mass roll-out.

My primary log is one I keep myself. It's part of a compilation of a multitude of different information that I've tracked on my vehicle since I've purchased it, including all my maintenance history, energy usage information, and detail charging stats compiled initially using VisibleTesla and more recently using my own datalogging program that I'm put together using python and run from my home laptop.

Yes, takes me a couple minutes to input each software update, but also allows me to track information which I may find helpful around what features were added when or any particular 'quirks' I observed from the update.

And to directly answer OP's original question, no I do not find it odd that Tesla does not provide that log to me as a user.

Upvote 0
I have access to my software history on TeslaFi, at a cost. It is occasionally handy to reference the software version I was on before posting about some incident from the past. But really, you can't downgrade your software so the history has a very limited usefulness.

Another vote for TeslaFi. The only reason I ever look at the install history is to figure out when I installed a particular build.

I think the TeslaFI history is handy as well because it shows your battery range est (if you charge frequently - bad example below). You can see if this changes by OTA and also note the temp avg in case it was a different season (winter vs summer).

The days from and sense section lets you see if you cars OTA update schedule is 'normal' as well.

UomTNOs.jpg

Upvote 0
I think I may have to sign up just to see what they're pulling. All this data is available via API and if you ping once a day or so you can store that in a database. TeslaFi has a bigger network tho so can track better ... You know it doesn't give you more than 14 days but absolutely keeps tracking your car and updating its own database.

Upvote 0
Nope. Why would you want to see a list of all previous software updates on your Tesla? You can't see that for your iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, LG Smart TVs, etc...

Only the macOS keeps an list of each previous update for some reasons, but it's not easily found. Apple Symbol from the upper left of the screen, About This Mac, System Report, and then scroll down to the Software section and click on Installation. Give it about 1 minutes, and it will show you every single software update you've every performed (it does not include software updates initiated by the software itself).

As a iPhone / Apple Watch developer, I'm also keeping my Xcode up to date, and sure enough it show me every update, but the data isn't very useful.

View attachment 649613

Thanks for your comments as a developer. As a customer, maybe I'm a strange guy but I like to read the release notes that come with each upgrade, and also review people's comments in the past. With only one version to look at, it's hard to know what all the changes were, release notes gone forever, and features either added or removed over time.

- paul.

Upvote 0
Does any other owners out there think it is a bit strange that they can't readily access history of SW updates to their vehicle?

Thanks for your comments as a developer. As a customer, maybe I'm a strange guy but I like to read the release notes that come with each upgrade, and also review people's comments in the past. With only one version to look at, it's hard to know what all the changes were, release notes gone forever, and features either added or removed over time.

- paul.
These are already available in the car.

9qJmyNl.jpg

scLzXQr.jpg

Upvote 0

View attachment 649613
Windows 10 also. How to check Windows Update history on Windows 10 • Pureinfotech

Upvote 0
I wanted to know if my Model S got the free 50hp ota update. Since I bought the car used, I have no way to tell. I tried the update trackers online but they don't go back into the car's full history either.

That would be nice to know, my assumption is that it did get the boost. That was quite a long time ago.

Upvote 0