Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anybody regret buying Model X for your main car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not my daily driver so likely not applicable to your question. I have determined after only three weeks that Tesla is not nearly ready for prime time in Alabama. And fair enough, this state is not Tesla’s target demographic for so many reasons.

But buying one to use here (MX 100D) was a gamble that unfortunately I feel I’ve lost. Car is exhibiting problems after only three weeks. First wash revealed terrible paint issues (running spots below headlights) and plastic trim separating from...double sided tape???

Build quality, though possibly better than initial models in 2016, still exhibit zero “pride of manufacture” and I feel Tesla operates in mass production mode with very little else to focus on. Get ‘em out and let our SC worry about issues does not strike me as a good strategy. But hey, Toyota didn’t get it right for decades and still mucks them up these days. But waiting for three days for a service center call- back...only to get a burst available 9 days later???? That ain’t going to cut it on a $120k car. Not in Alabama. Not anywhere else. But fortunately for many markets, SC are far closer.

EVs are clearly the future. But a far more distant future in my area than others!!!

So yes- I DEEPLY regret buying a Tesla.

Reactions: GayForEllon
So yes- I DEEPLY regret buying a Tesla.

Sorry to hear that. You are not wrong about certain build quality issues and I think perhaps a lot of deep-pocketed early adopters were willing to overlook such things in support of Tesla's mission. My March 2018 X100D certainly has a few, but my service center has been great and, for me, the good far outweighs the bad.To some extent, I think of it as a $50,000 car with a $70,000 battery.

Have you considered selling/trading before you lose too much to depreciation?

Sorry to hear that. You are not wrong about certain build quality issues and I think perhaps a lot of deep-pocketed early adopters were willing to overlook such things in support of Tesla's mission. My March 2018 X100D certainly has a few, but my service center has been great and, for me, the good far outweighs the bad.To some extent, I think of it as a $50,000 car with a $70,000 battery.

Have you considered selling/trading before you lose too much to depreciation?

Definitely going to sell... will take a bath, but it will only get worse over time. My VIN was the LAST to get the old MCU if you can believe that, so there is a hit that had I known in time, would have refused delivery. The car behind me gets new MCU and therefore higher resale despite paying same amount. So, in addition to Tesla's enormous QC issues, they make substantial hardware changes without alerting the buyers until after the fact. Technically I have to blame myself a little bit, I assumed I would get the upgrade as it had been announced a week or so before deliver, and did not check (it was dropped off at my house). The delivery guy was nice but in a hurry (of course) and I didn't want to make him wait while I ran a diagnostic. So that is on me...but what kind of company forces you to check their product and then make a poor sucker carry your car back to Atlanta (280 miles) if you find it deficient.

But I really like your statement that is PERFECTLY STATED: it is a $50,000 car (barely) with a $70,000 battery. This is the best description of a Tesla I have EVER read, heard or seen! Good for you my friend- quote of the year!

Definitely going to sell... will take a bath, but it will only get worse over time. My VIN was the LAST to get the old MCU if you can believe that, so there is a hit that had I known in time, would have refused delivery. The car behind me gets new MCU and therefore higher resale despite paying same amount. So, in addition to Tesla's enormous QC issues, they make substantial hardware changes without alerting the buyers until after the fact. Technically I have to blame myself a little bit, I assumed I would get the upgrade as it had been announced a week or so before deliver, and did not check (it was dropped off at my house). The delivery guy was nice but in a hurry (of course) and I didn't want to make him wait while I ran a diagnostic. So that is on me...but what kind of company forces you to check their product and then make a poor sucker carry your car back to Atlanta (280 miles) if you find it deficient.

I can certainly see Tesla is not the car for you! My Feb delivered X has the old MCU, but I really don't care. It's not a gaming console! The demo cars that I based my decision on buying the car in the first place all had the old MCU too and I was happy enough with the screen response. It's great that Tesla have updated the MCU, in the same way that my car had quite a few updates compared to earlier cars and definitely better quality finish than I noted on earlier showroom cars last year. I narrowly missed out on the MCU update and I'm sure there will be many other updates over the next 4 years of ownership. But that's great too as I want my next car to be even better than this one, not exactly the same. Maybe you prefer the more traditional annual MY update practice, but that just makes people wait for longer than they probably would otherwise to buy a new car. Tesla has always operated a stealthy continuous upgrade path and the MCU was well over-due for an upgrade, so not a surprising event.

No regrets! That said, Teslas are clearly not for everyone. For my family of 4, it has been up for every need and I love it every day. My favorite days are the days it updated over night and the car got better - that is still magical a year and half into ownership! As you can see from the many comments, there are pros and cons - just as there are with every single car you could purchase. I highly recommend starting your pros and cons list and figure out for you, is there anything on the con that is a deal breaker?

I always tell people who are seriously considering a Tesla, remember, you are buying a car from a brand new car company that is very much in the beginning/ramp up phase. There are going to be things you take for granted with other cars that you can't with a Tesla.

My biggest concern as an owner is collisions that result in the need for moderate or greater repairs. Fortunately, most people won't have to ever deal with this. If you do, your repair times will be much longer than with ICE cars and more expensive. I think over time this will improve, but, for now, with Tesla being the sole provider of most parts, you are subject to delays due to lack of availability of parts. There are many other issues that deem minor in nature, but, to some people, they could be deal breakers. Only you can figure that out.

On your pro list, one thing to add that you may not have as a non owner is the ability to keep your car fueled with a plug in at night that takes about 2-3 seconds on your way into your house. I do not miss gas stations one bit, in fact I find them dirty, time wasting, subject to bad weather, and dangerous places to be. That simple act that we accept in our daily lives with ICE cars in surprisingly pleasant to remove from your life and maybe it is ADD, but starting the day with a 90% charge is calming to me. I'm assuming you know most of the other pros and cons, but, maybe these two are something you hadn't given much thought to? Hope you join the club, but, do so knowing what you are getting into.

Reactions: Peteski
My only regret in getting the MX as a main car is not buying the winter package (an option at the time) because the rear heaters just aren't great. Over a year later, the car still feels brand new, and keeps on getting better. Totally love this car.

On your pro list, one thing to add that you may not have as a non owner is the ability to keep your car fueled with a plug in at night that takes about 2-3 seconds on your way into your house. I do not miss gas stations one bit, in fact I find them dirty, time wasting, subject to bad weather, and dangerous places to be. That simple act that we accept in our daily lives with ICE cars in surprisingly pleasant to remove from your life and maybe it is ADD, but starting the day with a 90% charge is calming to me. I'm assuming you know most of the other pros and cons, but, maybe these two are something you hadn't given much thought to? Hope you join the club, but, do so knowing what you are getting into.

Totally agree with this benefit of an EV. All those annoying moments when you set off in your ICE car when you are late for a meeting or it's peeing down with rain and the low fuel light comes on, or those times when there is a big line up at the pumps or tills. All gone forever! Of course you have to do a little charger planning for longer trips, but that's actually quite fun in itself.

The other big pros of an EV are the total lack of engine/transmission noise, instant torque and super smooth vibration free drive. However clever modern auto gearboxes are, they are still no match for an EV and the difference is astounding when you first experience it. For me that will be forever a deal breaker in ever buying another ICE car again!

Of course there are some cons to owning a Tesla and perhaps some major ones if you are unfortunate. But the above inherent advantages make it a worthwhile risk for me. It honestly feels like you are driving something a decade or more into the future, which I think is quite an achievement. Only if/when the other manufacturers catch up will it become a more difficult decision to stick with a Tesla. For now there is literally no competition if you want a premium large EV and global SC network.

...But I really like your statement that is PERFECTLY STATED: it is a $50,000 car (barely) with a $70,000 battery. This is the best description of a Tesla I have EVER read, heard or seen!...

i've said something close, it's a premium car with a luxury car price tag. :D i'm in Ohio so i'm not as isolated as perhaps where you are coming from and i've had plenty of little problems and adjustments (had the 3m tape fail on the chrome trim as well :D they replaced and it hasn't been an issue since)

i'd probably be in your same shoes if i wasn't 3 miles from a service center, but i'm addicted to the driving experience.

Build quality, though possibly better than initial models in 2016, still exhibit zero “pride of manufacture” and I feel Tesla operates in mass production mode with very little else to focus on.

I'll never get these people who whine about "build quality"

I've bought and driven cars by VW, Toyota, Audi, Lexus, Mercedes, BMW... none them were ever really that great. All of them felt like I was playing a lot for a car that wasn't really that much more advanced that previous, and even the upscaled versions, not really that much better than the standards. Outdated electronics, gas engine that made all sorts of rev-ing noises but went nowhere that fast, crazy cluttered dashboards, dealerships that where just out to skim as much money as they could from the deal, and yes, always, always something that needed some sort of fix the first visit to the service center, where the dealer then skimmed more money from me.

So these people complaining about this and that, what world do they live in? Face it: Gas cars, the manufacturers, the dealerships, gas stations... all suck. Big time.

I defy you to buy, own, drive a Tesla for a year and then go back to a gas car and the horrible ecosystem that surrounds them.

Build quality? I have 2 teslas, both are light years ahead of any other car. Build quality was just fine. Driving experience, priceless.

Oh and as to the original poster's question: Model X as main car. Works great. Big enough to fit stuff. But doesn't feel big to drive like a gas SUV. Its perfect.

And finally, let me end again with: "Gas cars, the manufacturers, the dealerships, gas stations... all suck. Big time."

1. Range anxiety for longs trips. I don't like risking at all, that is why I'm pretty sure I will have range anxiety a lot

I really don't think there is any reason to have range anxiety for any trips. At least not here in West-Europe, and I highly doubt its different in the US of A. There is a Supercharger within range to reach from the tip of Norway all the way to south Spain or Italy.

So I honestly believe range anxiety is unjustified.

There is however another issue (atleast for me), and that is why I chose a 100d over a 75d. And that is to be able to reach destinations in one run. We occasionally visit family some 250km from home where we travel back home at night. At night I usually have a heavy foot, I have my kids sleeping in the back and a wife that wants go to bed. In those situations I do not want to have to visit a Supercharger.
Now, 250km is doable in a 75d, but not in freezing temperatures, rain and a heavy foot. So that is the main reason I chose the 100d.

In any other situation, e.g. a business trip or holiday I don't mind charging for 30 minutes and have a cup of coffee or a burger while at it.

Reactions: WINGIT and PrGrPa

I agree with you, but you also have to admit that Tesla's are very expensive compared to pretty much any other car. That there is a technical reason for that (new technique, expensive batteries) is all good and well, but it is only human to expect a better treatment when you've paid considerably more.

When I visit a 5-star hotel I expect a better service than in a sleazy motel. I do believe Tesla seems to forget this from time to time. And that is understandably as well. Tesla does not have cheap cars, all they offer is expensive (including the M3). So for them, every car is "just another one". It is human for them to slack because of that. With other brands an employee could think "Oh this is an expensive one, I'll take a bit extra care". With Tesla every day is the same from the employee's view. Expensive stuff gets boring if you work with it every day.

If my brand new car would fail within 3 weeks I would be disappointment as well. That that happens with other brands as well doesn't really matter. I simply wouldn't expect a failure so soon when buying a car in the high end of the spectrum.

I would like to compare this to our newly build house. We had a significant amount of delivery issues with the house. The builder did bad repairs (eg. sealants in different colors, wood panels not alining, etc). One of our neighbors confronted them and said: "If you just paid [biggest purchase in your life], would you accept this?" and he had to agree that he indeed wouldn't be okay with the work he just did himself 5 minutes ago. That question and his answer resulted in considerably improved repairs from that time on. Its like he was waken up again and remembered "This is a big thing for these buyers!"

So I believe there is a mentality issue within Tesla's organization that is hard to solve, because it boils down to human nature. For most of us buying a Tesla is a purchase that is stretching budgets. We do it because we like the technology, we care for environment, etc. If we just wanted a new car we could have bought a cheaper brand instead. Because it is stretching our budgets, we expect to be treated a little better.

Reactions: WINGIT
Because it is stretching our budgets, we expect to be treated a little better.

I don't know. Compared to what I've experienced at dealers like Lexus, and Audi, dealing with Tesla is like a dream. Friendly, efficient, understanding... and not trying to squeeze every last cent out of you. 1000x more honest than dealers.

I don't expect Tesla to be a "Rich Corinthian Leather" or faux fancy 5 star hotel experience. I like the more honest, here is a state of the art, minimal design car, with honest and friendly service (not fake suck up one). I know I'm paying for state of the art design and technology, not red carpet, white glove, faux fancy.

I have always been treated so much better by Tesla than regular car dealers. Night and day.

I have always been treated so much better by Tesla than regular car dealers. Night and day.

Yes, I believe that is true. But my statement was regarding the build quality that surface on delivery or short after. Things like obvious not-easy-to-miss paint scratches, glue residue on interior, interior trims not lining up, broken door handles on delivery, stuff like that.

Not saying this is the case with every car, but it does happen and is avoidable.

I've bought and driven cars by VW, Toyota, Audi, Lexus, Mercedes, BMW... none them were ever really that great. All of them felt like I was playing a lot for a car that wasn't really that much more advanced that previous, and even the upscaled versions, not really that much better than the standards. Outdated electronics, gas engine that made all sorts of rev-ing noises but went nowhere that fast, crazy cluttered dashboards, dealerships that where just out to skim as much money as they could from the deal, and yes, always, always something that needed some sort of fix the first visit to the service center, where the dealer then skimmed more money from me.

So these people complaining about this and that, what world do they live in? Face it: Gas cars, the manufacturers, the dealerships, gas stations... all suck. Big time.

I defy you to buy, own, drive a Tesla for a year and then go back to a gas car and the horrible ecosystem that surrounds them.

Build quality? I have 2 teslas, both are light years ahead of any other car. Build quality was just fine. Driving experience, priceless.

Oh and as to the original poster's question: Model X as main car. Works great. Big enough to fit stuff. But doesn't feel big to drive like a gas SUV. Its perfect.

And finally, let me end again with: "Gas cars, the manufacturers, the dealerships, gas stations... all suck. Big time."

I am happy for you Driver Dave. Glad you have good experience with your Teslas. I have not and I voiced my experience and opinion. As have you. Maybe I do sound whiny. Or maybe, I sound disappointed. My experience with TESLA- the company- has been DISMAL. I have several other cars including a Range Rover. That car returned to the dealership on a flatbed trailer twice in the first four weeks of owning it. They had two guys drive a Jaguar and a Range Rover to me so I could choose my loaner. And the dealership was 160 miles away. The second time I told them not to bother, had something else to drive. I didn't "whine" about my issues with the car either time...because they BENT OVER BACKWARDS to take care of me. My first issue with my brand new Tesla that requires service (grinding noise from front suspension) required multiple calls to service center- three days before they sorted out which SC would handle my issue- and first available appointment 9 days later. I feel pretty sure I have every right to "whine" about this kind of service from Tesla regarding my $120,000 car. I did the best due diligence I could BEFORE I bought the car. I talked to Service Manager in Decatur GA (my closest SC) who promised me he would be my point of contact should I have any issues with a Tesla (he is not, however- they passed my off to Jacksonville, FL which is further away), Ranger Service in Alabama (who also passed me off to Florida once the car was purchased). So for me personally- gas cars, the manufacturers, the dealerships, even gas stations...DON"T SUCK compared to what I've seen in my very short time with Tesla.

I LOVE what Tesla is trying to do and I hope they shake up the entire industry in every way. But for in my opinion, here in Alabama, they have a LONG way to go... And for you Driver Dave- I am sincerely glad you've had a great experience with them.

I LOVE what Tesla is trying to do and I hope they shake up the entire industry in every way. But for in my opinion, here in Alabama, they have a LONG way to go... And for you Driver Dave- I am sincerely glad you've had a great experience with them.

I would say I feel bad you had a bad time. Could be just that area things are not ramped up as much as they should be.

I will say, hang in there. If you've come this far, I would give it a year or two, take time to experience the car once all is set. The money you spent will pay off over time as you drive it and come to know what it is and enjoy it each day.

I'm still amazed how every time I get in the car, it is like an amusement park ride. So much fun. Worth every cent.

So bummer you had this bad experience, but my advice is to get through it and then settle in and enjoy.

I am happy for you Driver Dave. Glad you have good experience with your Teslas. I have not and I voiced my experience and opinion. As have you. Maybe I do sound whiny. Or maybe, I sound disappointed. My experience with TESLA- the company- has been DISMAL. I have several other cars including a Range Rover. That car returned to the dealership on a flatbed trailer twice in the first four weeks of owning it. They had two guys drive a Jaguar and a Range Rover to me so I could choose my loaner. And the dealership was 160 miles away. The second time I told them not to bother, had something else to drive. I didn't "whine" about my issues with the car either time...because they BENT OVER BACKWARDS to take care of me. My first issue with my brand new Tesla that requires service (grinding noise from front suspension) required multiple calls to service center- three days before they sorted out which SC would handle my issue- and first available appointment 9 days later. I feel pretty sure I have every right to "whine" about this kind of service from Tesla regarding my $120,000 car. I did the best due diligence I could BEFORE I bought the car. I talked to Service Manager in Decatur GA (my closest SC) who promised me he would be my point of contact should I have any issues with a Tesla (he is not, however- they passed my off to Jacksonville, FL which is further away), Ranger Service in Alabama (who also passed me off to Florida once the car was purchased). So for me personally- gas cars, the manufacturers, the dealerships, even gas stations...DON"T SUCK compared to what I've seen in my very short time with Tesla.

Clearly there are regional/local differences, and after hearing from you and a frequent poster here who lives in the middle of NY State where there are no dealers, I'm not sure I would have bought a Tesla at this stage in their development without more local support. I am lucky to have a Service Center (Watertown, MA) about 15-20 min drive and only a few miles away, where I took delivery of my S five years ago and have had it and now my X serviced. It's not a fancy place (it used to be Ford dealer service but they built a new building nearby because it was too small), and they keep parts in locked shipping containers in the lot due to lack of storage space, but the service people are all very friendly and attentive. Those who were less attentive or more prone to forget to call back haven't lasted long there.

The manager has changed a couple times during the five years: the first one was promoted to a regional role, which was a loss from my perspective but a gain for Tesla and the region. The second one left and wasn't much of a loss. Though I didn't have any major issues under the second, I definitely noticed things were a little sloppier during his tenure, and tighter-run again now. Clearly the management sets the tone for the place. And when you're somewhere in between locations, where neither really feels strong ownership (and both are busy with lots of other customers) I can see where you could have problems. Combine that with bad luck on some build problems and I can understand why you're planning to bail. I'm sorry Tesla wasn't able to do better for you.

Am i the only one that finds it funny how big a deal is made of the MCU2 yet the only way to know if you have it is to run a diagnostic? Think about that.

I do not have the new MCU (12/17 build) and sure, it would be nice to have but I really couldn't care less. I forced myself to watch a comparison video of the two on YouTube this week and stopped after a minute or two, the difference as expected was barely noticeable when watching both back to back!

Most people have no idea about the MCU upgrade, list it for sale and find a happy buyer.

Reactions: Peteski and WINGIT
Am i the only one that finds it funny how big a deal is made of the MCU2 yet the only way to know if you have it is to run a diagnostic? Think about that.

I do not have the new MCU (12/17 build) and sure, it would be nice to have but I really couldn't care less. I forced myself to watch a comparison video of the two on YouTube this week and stopped after a minute or two, the difference as expected was barely noticeable when watching both back to back!

Most people have no idea about the MCU upgrade, list it for sale and find a happy buyer.

Well, its funny until you go to sell it on the open market... I believe you might find NOT having it will be a bargaining chip for the potential buyer...not the seller. I plan to sell my X asap, and I anticipate NOT having it will impact my final sales price. But I promise you- I sure hope most folks feel the way you do!!!!