Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does anyone have a clue where this bolt might have come off my Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it might be a long shot but this bolt was found where I park my Model 3 Performance. My son kicked it so I'm not sure exactly where it was laying. My Model 3 had been the only thing in the area it was found since I brought the car home so it most likely came from it. I'd like to avoid having to take it to the service center if possible. Especially since they probably have better things to do than check every bolt location on the car and will probably say it's not off the car.
20200109_154322.jpg
20200109_154326.jpg

Can’t quite read all the markings on top of the bolt but as someone said this may be one of many bolts which hold on the front and mid aero covers. There should be a washer around somewhere too.

These bolts are critical for keeping these protective shields intact (see many threads here about water damage), and none should be missing, but Tesla is very bad at tightening them properly. Every new owner should check them. There are about 13 on the rear (mid) cover. And a similar amount on the front cover (not sure of the exact count). There are also some on the rear diffuser. All of them are paired with a washer.

Note on the rear diffuser in the middle one appears missing but it is not (there is no hole for it except on very early VINs). At some point the rear diffuser plastic will be redone and this will no longer be the case.

These shields are for aero, and also protect the motor assemblies and cooling hoses and the oil filters from small road debris.

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic
It's the oil fill plug. ;)

I think that fill plug on the drive unit is probably a bit more robust. ;) Looks like maybe the oil is filled through the breather plug? Not sure.

As far as markings, if you take another picture it'll probably trigger my memory of the manufacturer of those cover bolts. It actually to me looks like it might be not quite right for one of those bolts. Obviously you could take one off or just take a peek and see if it looks like a match - some of them are very easy to see/access particularly on the rear diffuser. I think they may have said "IFI" on them in addition to other markings. Probably grade 8 at least.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: AZjohnInCA
I checked mine, and one was loose.

So, so common. It's really remarkable. I guess there are a lot of bolts and they are in a hurry. Sadly, this is something every new owner should check. It just involves rolling & squirming around on the floor or parking lot of the delivery center, which is what I did. Just make sure no one runs over your head by mistake. Three of mine were missing, the rest were tight. Went on the due bill.

Okay, enough silliness. I'll guess it's one of the bolts holding up the fabric covers. They've been known to be less than tight, and people have found them missing before. I checked mine, and one was loose. You should look around to see if there's a matching washer on the ground.
View attachment 498770
Time for an undercarriage car wash eh? ;-)

• Funny
  • Helpful
Reactions: Kleenerth3 and KenC